U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 PM

348 posts, read 327,679 times
If Boone is to warm try Highlands, NC.. very nice summer weather and the winters are snowy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:50 PM

8,851 posts, read 6,889,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
If Boone is to warm try Highlands, NC.. very nice summer weather and the winters are snowy
Wikipedia shows Highlands as being slightly warmer than Boone. I should also add that Boone is only warmer than my absolute ideal. I could definitely be fine there for the most part. It's just a little warmer than where I live now (but cooler in the winter, which is fine).

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM

348 posts, read 327,679 times
Year round Boone is slightly cooler, however after having lived in Boone, and with friends in Highlands it seems Highlands is less prone to summer heat extremes then Boone with the higher rain totals. I think the rain probably also leads to warmer winters. Both places are great climates to me.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 AM

They definitely both look acceptable and even pleasant for nearly the entire year. Which is a lot better than most other towns and cities in the Southeast! (for me anyway)

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,652,354 times
Oh yes. Although the Southern Appalachians don't have a good climate, we often forget just how vastly superior they are to the rest of the Southeast.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Status: "It's a mighty fine time of the year..." (set 1 day ago)

1,850 posts, read 1,305,094 times
As a long-time resident of the Southeast, I definitely concur with both Boone and Highlands being vastly superior to the rest of the region. If I had my choice between the 2, I'd go with Boone, since it's further north and tends to get more snow than Highlands, and it's possible to have a house above the 4000-foot level in the surrounding areas, which is key to getting into the ideal climate zone (for us cold lovers anyways...lol.)

I'm still bummed at my dad for not allowing me to go to college at Appalachian State in Boone, as he insisted that it'd be "too cold" - that's the very reason I wanted to go there. Ugh. At least I'll get my chance at a very long-overdue comeuppance when I finally do make the move to upstate New York...lol.

And I do have my week-long stay atop nearby Beech Mtn coming up in August, at 5200 feet - can't wait!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,038,994 times
Cookeville, TN is quite a bit cooler than Nashville Basin areas. It feels quite different sometimes.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:07 AM

Elevation can make a big difference. I've seen many days in summer where Memphis and Paducah were together the hottest and most humid spots, whereas Nashville and Cookeville were cooler (of course the distinctly higher elevations were also cooler). The heat and humidity tends to pool in the lowest elevations, so a surprisingly little difference in elevation can make a noticeable difference in temperature and heat index. The October Blizzard in Pennsylvania was also very elevation-dependent. Lower elevations only changed over to snow rather late in the game, and there was only a few hundred foot difference between those places and places that got crushed with snowfall.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Cookeville, TN is quite a bit cooler than Nashville Basin areas. It feels quite different sometimes.
I used to work in Nashville and made deliveries to Cookeville once a week, and this is definitely true. It was still waaay too hot for me, but I could immediately tell a difference when I got there. It usually wasn't a drastic difference, but still noticeable.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:37 AM

I may also add that the averages for East Tennessee vs. Nashville Basin are only a few degrees apart, but there is a "Smokies Influence" which causes the record highs to decrease much more than the averages. There's a full spectrum from Nashville to Cookeville to the peaks of the Smokies. So I'd say the difference would be much greater on the hottest day of the summer than on a typical summer day.

A good example is actually what's happening right now. For June 28-30, Nashville's forecast is 67/104F, 72/109F, and 76/108F. Cookeville's is 63/101F, 68/106F, and 72/105F. Mount Leconte's is 52/74F, 59/78F, and 62/77F.

On a side note, that 109F for Nashville is fairly eye-popping. I'm sure that that's close to the all-time record high. Check into the Summer 2012 thread for an additional post on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather