Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Maybe because they immigrate to places that generally have better weather. Not always though, a surfing friend in Invercargill was from London, a step down in weather imo. I would take Londons'
warmer summers over Invercargills' sunnier winters
Yes, but people from Invercargill or similarly cloudy Dunedin can get to Central Otago in summertime. Londoners have to change countries to get a comparable improvement (ie a combination of good sunshine and reasonable warmth).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Britain's climate is close to what the subarctic islands get....
Don't talk out of your backside mate. That is almost as pathetic as claiming Melbourne actually has a winter, or is somehow 'cold'.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London's average max is a chilly 19.0C so far this month (average is 21.1C), which is 2C warmer that the warmest recorded January temperature. Coming from Yorkshire you probably find this month quite warm though?
London's average June is about the same as Leeds' average July. Guildford has much cooler June's than London.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of living in a place that is warmer than other areas is that even in cooler years, it's still reasonably warm.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
people will remember this month for being cold but if you include all 350 years of temperature records June 2012 is not even going to be in the bottom 50.
Up until the last couple of days it was the coldest and dullest on record for London. It's still the dullest, but the coldest was 1972 with an average high of 17.5C.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London's average June is about the same as Leeds' average July. Guildford has much cooler June's than London.

Anyway, I thought the whole point of living in a place that is warmer than other areas is that even in cooler years, it's still reasonably warm.
Guildford's average high in June for 1971-2000 was 20.2C, Heathrow's for that period was 20.7C. For 1981-2010, Guildford's should be about 20.6C if both have warmed the same amount.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
people assume ireland is cold, its not , its wet ( all the time ) , our winters are milder than most of england though obviously much cooler than summers in the south of england

Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Don't talk out of your backside mate. That is almost as pathetic as claiming Melbourne actually has a winter, or is somehow 'cold'.
How can I be talking out of my backside when I don't have a mouth on my ass? How is that possible? My mouth is on my head, not attached to my bung hole.

I'm sorry, but Melbourne does actually have a winter. I know it's not a winter to people that think 15C with overcast is high summer, but BY AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS, it is infact cold and cloudy. It is the cloudiest mainland city, with sunshine well below the national average. Temps are the coldest of any mainland capital (only Canberra's winter is colder) and certainly cooler than almost any non-elevated location besides southern Victoria and extreme SE Sth Australia. We've clocked up some 20 rain days this month, daily sunshine hours of 3.3 hours (and that's at the airport, which is likely less cloudy than the more populated E/SE suburbs) and ofcourse there is that windchill coming straight off the 10C waters of the southern ocean. It is often overcast and cloudy, sunshine tends to appear for a very limited time as the clouds move through. Ofcourse, it is slate-grey overcast as I write this.

Don't any one dare tell me Melbourne doesn't have a winter.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Let's not turn this into a debate on Melbourne's climate, as looks like it might ugly and off-topic.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Northern Italy has cold, snowy winters and Milan is one of the foggiest cities in Europe. Most people think of Italy as being warm/hot and sunny all year round.

I've never heard of Britain being thought of as snowy. Most people think it rains all the time or that it's always foggy which simply isn't true at all; London is one of the driest capital cities in Europe and has fewer wet days than Sydney (another place that is mistakenly believed to always be hot and sunny). London is probably one of the least foggy major cities in the world (during the height of coal induced smogs, London averaged around 40-50 foggy days per year, nowdays Heathrow probably gets less than 15 fog days per year).

Most people in the UK think coastal California is hot, when it's barely if at all warmer than southern England in the summer. Also the water temps off CA in summer are pretty similar to the south coast in the summer.
Good point regarding the popular misconception of Italy as having a mostly Mediterranean climate. In fact, even the parts of Italy that qualify as "Mediterranean" cwa are at the wetter end of this climate's spectrum. Rome can be quite wet outside the core summer months of June, July and August. Milan and Turin are colder than London or Paris in winter. Even in southern Italy, occasionally heavy snowfall can occur at relatively modest elevations.

I think the image some people have of London is of its "old-fashioned", post-war or inter-war climate, which was indeed much foggier, cloudier and cooler than today. Something like the old 1961-1990 averages, or even earlier. The relatively cool 1960s tend to lower these averages.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:51 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Actually, according to this map, most of Italy does have a Csa/Csb climate. This map uses the 0C isotherm for subtropical climates, but between the Csa/Cfb that doesn't have an effect. So most of Italy does have a Mediterranean climate, but the Csa climates in Italy are cooler and wetter than most people think they are, and in addition most of the remainder features an oceanic Cfb climate that would surprise most people. The common perception of a hot, dry, sunny climate featuring a little rain in winter only holds true in Sicily. The other stereotype is the Italian ski resort in the Alps that has a Dfb/Dsb climate. While Italy features both, there's a lot in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather