Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

So when you talk about the UK climate, you are only referring to the SE? Then say the SE of England then instead of the UK, you are confusing everyone with your silly posts. You also know the SE is a large area? Places like Oxford are barely warmer than hull in the summer and are around the same in terms of sunshine.

As far as I'm concerned, London has a pretty shoddy climate because it is far too dry and winters are not even remotely cold enough, and what snow does fall causes the entire city to collapse and then melts 5 minutes later. I'd rather live in Aberdeenshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:32 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Seriously guys, stop trying to prove that the UK is NOT cool and gloomy - surely it is less so than Iceland or Scandinavia, but most of the country has less than 1500 yearly sunshine hours (flirting with 1000 in Scotland) and struggles to get warmer than 25°C (I'm not even sure any weather station in the UK has an average high above 25°C) with a large part of the territory staying on average below 20°C in summer. .
Guys? I'm not trying to make that out, only B87 LOL. I know only too well how gloomy and dreadful the UK's climate is. Why do you think I complain about it so much?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:17 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
I guess the bottom line is that the impression that London is foggy is way off, however it is rather cloudy and cool.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
South Florida. People think it is always warm and that it is tropical. Really it is only subtropical and has snowed there. Nights during winter there get really cold!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:36 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Guys? I'm not trying to make that out, only B87 LOL. I know only too well how gloomy and dreadful the UK's climate is. Why do you think I complain about it so much?
I was most certainly not talking about you, I know well how much you suffer in your hellhole
But it seems that in that type of thread about climate misconceptions, there's always a bunch of people trying to prove that the UK is not a cool and gloomy country Well, if there's only B87, my mistake, replace "guys" by him!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Paris. Many people believe that for whatever reason it is much warmer (and dryer) than it is in reality, a cold temperate oceanic country (same Koppen classification as London).

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Paris. Many people believe that for whatever reason it is much warmer (and dryer) than it is in reality, a cold temperate oceanic country (same Koppen classification as London).
In France, that would rather be the opposite. People talk about Paris as if it was Reykjavik...at least in the South actually.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
I don't know of anyone who thinks Paris is warm and dry. But then I've not heard of anyone thinking it was cool and wet either.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

Oh pulease. Most of France has an extremely pleasant mild/warm temperate climate with very nice summers... and far better than most comparable latitude locations in the USA... especially in winter.. in my opinion. What's the USA got to rival Paris at its latitude? Seattle? LOL. Heh whatever. And Massachusettes frigid cold winters at the same latitude as subtropical Toulouse, which has warmer summers by the way. No thank-a-you.

France actually has an amazing climate I think, ranging from temperate in the north, to continental in the east, subtropical in the SW and mediterranean in the S/SE. I wouldn't mind locating to somewhere there. Know lots of people who have. Interior has hot summers with frequent electrical storms to rival anything in the NE/E of the USA.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Around Paris southwards, summer warmth is virtually guaranteed. Places like Lille are cooler and Brest has mild summers.. of course places like Paris are very cloudy with gloomy winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather