U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:57 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,503,245 times

Advertisements

Weather Extremes : The Amazing June Heat Wave of 2012. Part 1: The West and Plains June 23-27 | Weather Underground

Quote:
The only previous June heat waves in U.S. history that compare to the current one were those of 1934, 1936, and 1954. The summer of 1934 went on to be the warmest on record for the U.S. (74.6 June-August average) and July 1936 the single hottest month on record (77.4 average).

Ominously, some of the June records that have so far been set this month have eclipsed those of June 1934 and 1936 (1954 turned out be a summer of only slightly above long-term average normal temperature).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,891,220 times
In Tennessee Smyrna reached 112F yesterday, which nearly tied their all-time record high of 113F set the previous day. For a few hours in the early morning, Smyrna was the hottest point on the surface of the planet. Mecca and other parts of the Middle East were hotter that day, but at the time it was late evening there. So congratulations to Smyrna and Tennessee - briefly the world's top inferno .

Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 AM

15,004 posts, read 12,759,679 times
After a nice June, we're really paying the price with crappy weather.

Today: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. West wind between 3 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Monday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Sunny, with a high near 88. West wind between 3 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Monday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tuesday: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Sunny, with a high near 89. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Tuesday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Independence Day: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 89. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 67.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 90.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 68.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 92.

Edit: I really need to pay more attention to which threads I'm posting in.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 07-01-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-01-2012, 12:23 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,533,542 times
This is really an impressive one. I saw the 10 day forecast for St. Louis, and most days are going to be 100 or higher. If i'm not mistaken, St Louis isn't particularly known as a hot-weather city. I don't recall ever seeing such a long stretch of triple digits outside of Texas and the desert Southwest.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,533,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
In Tennessee Smyrna reached 112F yesterday, which nearly tied their all-time record high of 113F set the previous day. For a few hours in the early morning, Smyrna was the hottest point on the surface of the planet. Mecca and other parts of the Middle East were hotter that day, but at the time it was late evening there. So congratulations to Smyrna and Tennessee - briefly the world's top inferno .
WOW 112 and 113 in Tennessee???

Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,291,148 times
Here in SE MI, it's 93 as I type at 4:30 in the afternoon with a heat index of 95. The next 10 days are forecast to be above 90 degrees, as have the last 5 days. It was 102 here last Thursday. This is unreal for this part of the country and for this time of year. Many older AC systems in this part of the country aren't built for this. From what I have read, the jet stream is sitting too far north over Canada, as it did in March, creating the early spring we had this year. Any other thoughts as to causes of this current heat wave? La nina?

Old 07-01-2012, 02:57 PM

5,546 posts, read 5,891,220 times
La Nina is gone currently, and even if it wasn't the effect of ENSO is greatly overrated.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,225,090 times
Yesterday, we broke the all-time record high for Atlanta, GA, reaching an incredible 106 F, beating the old July 1980 record by one degree. Today, it reached 105 F, after a low of 80 F, but tomorrow we're only supposed to top out at 99 F...cold wave coming!...LOL.

One thing I did to keep cool yesterday was to pay a visit to the vast indoor farmer's market near here (4 acres under roof), which is kept at a brisk 65 degrees all year round. Man, being in that place was total bliss - the AC system was blowing out massive amounts of super-chilled air, there were no windows to be reminded of the horrid sunshine outside, and eating in the cafe in there was a real treat in my shorts and super-thin t-shirt...ahhhhhh. The worse part came when it was finally time to leave, and walked out from the uber-comfortable 65 to the 105 or so outside in the parking lot - what a shock to the system. It felt like walking straight into a blast furnace...whew!

Now that I got to witness the all-time record high for the ATL, I'm ready to move to Syracuse, New York...lol. Of course, it can get hot up there too, as I found out last summer, but at least I'll be going up there at the very end of Sept and the first part of October - let's hope they're not having record high temps then...lol.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 PM

817 posts, read 1,449,254 times
Check this out for the skinny on the America's worst heat wave since 1936:

http://www.wunderground.com/climate/extremes.asp

When you get there, you can select a variety of parameters to display. I only selected "All-Time Record" and "High Maximum Temperature" - just those two - and selected dates from June 27 to June 30. I got 134 hits!

Folks, It ain't even July and we have already seen more all-time-ever for any month records set or tied in any 4-day period than I can remember seeing and I am well past 60. 1954 never even came close. I don't think even 1936 did that - certainly not in June. Tennessee tied an all-time state record when Smyrna crashed the boards at 113 (45). U of South Carolina in Columbia set one with an identical temperature. In northeastern Kansas, a spot called Norton Dam blasted that state's all time June record when it hit 118 (47.8) and that was only three degrees off a disputed 121 set during that infamous dust bowl year of 1936.

I haven't scrolled through all of the posts previous to mine so if any of this is old news I apologize.

So.....I gazed into my admittedly cloudy crystal ball and have come up with an outlook for the remainder of the summer:

We are just entering a long term blocking pattern similar to western Russia's during their apocalyptuic summer of 2010. In addition to temperatures exceeding a two-month average by as much as 18 (10) degrees, 30000 people perished directly or indirectly because of heat not seen in at least 1000 years and possibly since the begining of this interglacial. I see this blocker lasting for a minimum of a month and maybe as long as two. As long as that high stays put there will be little in the way of relief from the heat - and along the Front Range, drought. Those already under the gun with regard to excessive heat will remain so for a long time yet. Those not affected will very likely dodge a bullet.

I don't think it will be as bad here as it was in Russia then but those of you living in the interior Southeast, central Midwest and western Great Plains; expect July and August temperatures to average up to, and maybe, past 10 degrees above seasonal norms. Even New York and southern New England may catch a little grief from time to time. I can just about guarantee montlhly and even a few more all-time records will fall. We may even see a few more state records. Get ready for the second edition of Texas' and Oklahoma's miserably hot late summer of 2011 staying in a neighborhood near you.

I will not say this summer will be worse than 1936 - that was one for the books (and 1934 was nearly as bad) but it will easily beat 1980, 1993 and 1995 for hot and humid yuck.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,552 posts, read 38,425,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Impressive, Tennessee! Never knew you had it in you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or