Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:03 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,469 times

Advertisements

People along the coastal areas prepare for hurricane season, we who live in tornado alley and dixie alley prepare for tornadoes.

So, do people in the North prepare for winter? If you do, what/how do you prepare.

I'm sure it is more than going to the nearest Home Depot and buying a snow shovel, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:46 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
-Drain outdoor plumbing
-Clean eaves troughs
-Perhaps purchase rock-salt or other ice-melter
-Try out the snowblower, add oil, check plugs, etc.
-Some people get their cars "rust-checked"
(gooey spray for under the car through some of the panels)

That's about it. We need winter clothes, but we already own enough. I suppose sometimes we go winter clothes shopping.

** Oh, and many start making reservations for a trip to Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean or Florida.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
YES~plan a tropical vacation. That should be number ONE on the list.

CC pretty much covered everything. Most of us have built in heaters in our cars so we can plug them in and of course, we go to a different weight of oil, get new spark plugs, make sure we have a good battery (I just bought one), etc. We put the broom away and put the snowshovel on the deck. We haven't done that yet, but in another month, it'll be there.
We also have to be sure we have good tires on our vehicles.

I switch my clothes in the closet, but it's ok cause it gives me a chance to keep them cleaned up. I will soon have to box up my shorts and bathing suit.

We've been putting out extra corn and food so the squirrels get a chance to get things stockpiled. DH even built a little house and put it in the tree for our "pet" squirrel who lives outside our door.

I actually live in tornado alley, too so we do need to prepare for that, too. SIGH~guess I just have the best of all worlds. Tornadoes, temp fluctuations with extreme highs and extreme lows, ice storms, snowstorms, horrific cold, etc.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,648 times
We drain outdoor plumbing, stop the pond pumps, change to winter wheels and fly to Florida mid of December (for 3+ weeks). When we are lucky - it happened several times - winter has occured when we were gone.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
YES~plan a tropical vacation. That should be number ONE on the list.

We also have to be sure we have good tires on our vehicles.

I also forgot about tires. Balding tires are suicide in the winter so people running the same tires all year usually inspect tread depth. We (at our house) have snow tires for our cars recently. It's AMAZING how much difference there is. Most days with 1-4" of snow on the road our car handles it like the road is just rain-slicked.

Example: Some days are so slick that people driving regular tires need to take 10 seconds to accelerate to 10-15 mph, but with my snow tires on "all four corners" I can accelerate to 15 mph in 4-5 seconds.

Braking and cornering are also almost as easy driving on rain-slicked roads in the worst wintery weather with good snow tires.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
All the above and storm windows!!! I also used to burn wood so would get that ordered so I could get it stacked. I also did any Christmas lights that would be a pain to do when it is cold....yes....SOMEONE had to admit to it!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
I also did any Christmas lights that would be a pain to do when it is cold....yes....SOMEONE had to admit to it!
How could I forget?

Christmas lights are usually put up sometime in November.
A few people put them up late; the first week of December, if it's still barely mild enough
OR they brave the chill and do it anyways.

Christmas lights while turned off within a few days of New Years, yet EVERYONE'S outdoor lights remain up until at least March.
In nasty years, perhaps April.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:51 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,359 times
I liked to get the roof strung up while it is still somewhat warm...like right about now....and then worry about the rest later. One year we had snow until May (PA)...I left them all year. When I lived in Punxy,PA we were supposed to turn them on for Ground Hog Day to make it more festive.

Of course now I guess I will be looking for a palm tree to decorate :-(

Old 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
How could I forget?

Christmas lights are usually put up sometime in November.
A few people put them up late; the first week of December, if it's still barely mild enough
OR they brave the chill and do it anyways.

Christmas lights while turned off within a few days of New Years, yet EVERYONE'S outdoor lights remain up until at least March.
In nasty years, perhaps April.
The worst thing is when you replace a bulb outside and you lose it in the snow! The white ones are the worst.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
Get snow tires on vehicles
Get heat lamp on over dog pen area in garage
Get hoses, sprayers and sprinklers put away
Rake fallen leaves
Empty backyard pond
Cover outdoor patio furniture
Get out winter clothes and boots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather