Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:42 PM

83,440 posts, read 75,004,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow! Thanks for posting that info, I'll have to see if I can find the temp off TR or Manitowoc! 80 is a shocker, as kids we were always happy if it was 68 or 70, usually not until late July!

I remember my older sisters getting in trouble with my mom because they dared me to go in Lake Superior in June. I was a skinny little kid and it took blankets and a fireplace to warm me up.
Thats interesting..I'm not sure how long they been keeping track of the temps but Id love to know how fast it went down during the warmest years. Can you imagine it holds above 70 past October and a major polar jet dips down? We'll be talking feet of snow for someone in one shot.

And like Rozenn said, its pretty cool that we have Lakes that freeze and get to 80 degrees in the same year.

ABOUT THE LAKES: The Great Lakes

Overview
Lake Michigan, the second largest Great Lake by volume with just under 1,180 cubic miles of water, is the only Great Lake entirely within the United States. Approximately 118 miles wide and 307 miles long, Lake Michigan has more than 1,600 miles of shoreline. Averaging 279 feet in depth, the lake reaches 925 feet at its deepest point. The lake's northern tier is in the colder, less developed upper Great Lakes region, while its more temperate southern basin contains the Milwaukee and Chicago metropolitan areas. The drainage basin, approximately twice as large as the 22,300 square miles of surface water, includes portions of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Wisconsin. Lake Michigan is hydrologically inseparable from Lake Huron, joined by the wide Straits of Mackinac.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 06:14 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,094,025 times
Michigan Sea Grant Coastwatch

An amazing 80.2F near Ashland; an incredible 71.8F just outside Duluth.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,984,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
74°F off of NYC, 72°F eastern LI. Still more time for it to heat up. Coast of eastern Maine is at 51°F!
51F is a good start. I prefer water temperatures in the 40's for a good summer cooling effect. At those temperatures the water doesn't add in any vile heat or humidity. Unsurprisingly those sort of water temperatures are found in cool-summer places like Newfoundland and Alaska.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,512,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
51F is a good start. I prefer water temperatures in the 40's for a good summer cooling effect. At those temperatures the water doesn't add in any vile heat or humidity. Unsurprisingly those sort of water temperatures are found in cool-summer places like Newfoundland and Alaska.
You should take the ferry across from Riviere-du-Loup (in Quebec) to the other side of the St Lawrence River sometime. I took that 65-minute crossing in August one year, and that water was C-O-L-D...lol. Typical warm summer day on land, but when the boat got out into open water, it felt like being inside a giant refrigerator - people actually put jackets and sweaters on while we were on the boat, while I embraced the coolness in my usual shorts and t-shirt.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:58 PM

559 posts, read 746,893 times
At the end of June, water temperatures on the Jersey Shore were around 70 F, and now it's gone up to 74 F due to the heatwave. And the highest temps are yet to come.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM

14,312 posts, read 14,581,830 times
Can you imagine it holds above 70 past October and a major polar jet dips down? We'll be talking feet of snow for someone in one shot.

Thanks for that tidbit, "Cam", it very well could be us! Good thing I finally got a snowblower so I'll be ready!

Speaking of the Great Lakes, I'm looking forward to a new show the History channel is having about freighters on the Great Lakes, should be a good one.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Can you imagine it holds above 70 past October and a major polar jet dips down? We'll be talking feet of snow for someone in one shot.
If the cold shot is strong enough, it'll really whack them . From what I've seen, the dream scenario for a Great Lakes snow lover is for a major blizzard to come through early in the season and then after the storm the wind aligns such that big lake-effect snows are produced, with the same pattern lingering for days or maybe even weeks. It would be great if something like that did occur, and what better way to start off the winter season for everyone in the East could there be other than milking the lake effect machine for all it's worth?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM

83,440 posts, read 75,004,771 times
Quote:

Thanks for that tidbit, "Cam", it very well could be us! Good thing I finally got a snowblower so I'll be ready!

Speaking of the Great Lakes, I'm looking forward to a new show the History channel is having about freighters on the Great Lakes, should be a good one.
Only thing is, you're on the West side. Usually the East side of the Lakes get hammered with snow. Do you have any stats or links for big Lake effects for your area? Im very curious how the events unfolded those times. I'm thinking you get more snow with Low pressure systems coming from the West or south rather than Lake Effect Snows

I keep holding off on snowblower. It was comical when I was getting 16" in one storm every week. I kept saying next one with each

Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Only thing is, you're on the West side. Usually the East side of the Lakes get hammered with snow. Do you have any stats or links for big Lake effects for your area? Im very curious how the events unfolded those times. I'm thinking you get more snow with Low pressure systems coming from the West or south rather than Lake Effect Snows
To impact Susan the wind would have to blow from a NE, E, or SE direction, and that usually occurs when they're under the influence of a low to the south. Milwaukee got a really good lake-effect band in February 2010 I believe, after a storm had passed through, so it's far from impossible. The snowbelt areas dominate, of course.

Quote:
I keep holding off on snowblower. It was comical when I was getting 16" in one storm every week. I kept saying next one with each
Shoveling is very effective and it's fun (for me anyway ). In fact I'd say when you have a huge quantity of snow a shovel or similar implement is more effective than a small, cheaply-made snow blower. However, I'd like to get a snow blower sometime in the future. Not only does it make it easier to clear areas, it also looks like a lot of fun to push/drive those things, and the plume of snow they shoot out would make for great conditions where the plume meets the ground (an artificial whiteout, if you know what I mean ).

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,355,519 times
Quote:
Neat idea, but I wonder if a 70°F Great Lake would be warm enough to warm up most cold air masses, especially a fall one which wouldn't be that cold. I'm think you'd get an intense lake effect rainstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather