U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM

5,901 posts, read 7,853,902 times

Advertisements

well, 30/14 is a whole different story, imo, even when its too hot for me too. But a 14c average low gives the place an opportunity to cool off, and the above 20c avg lows like in BA or NY dont give that opportunity, wich gives the impression of a much hotter atmosphere, imo.

14/30 isnt THAT bad, but of course i will still need A/C and will hate the majority of the days. Do the lows ocurr at night or in the morning where you live? Can you have a 15c night there or that just happen in morning and nights are more around 20c?

Here nights are always around 25c in summer, cause when the lows happen, they happen in the very early morning (around 4-5 am), so even if the lows are around 20c, we have many 25-30c nights.
And we did have a couple of 30c+ nights too .

I dont know how the people live in those places (was it kuwait?) that have an average LOW of 30c??? That means they have nights of 40c, and many many nights of 35c?? Thats just insane. One night here (january the 10th) it was 34c at night and it was one of the worst nights of my life, trying to sleep and without A/C. I cant imagine how they cope with that and worse for months and months with no A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 AM

500 posts, read 750,309 times
Warm enough that I have a guaranteed few months without the need for heating. As long as the nights are okay, I can handle lowish highs. Average highs shouldn't be above 32C.

Extreme UV. UV13 on a clear day is okay.

About six dry days, then two wet/overcast days, and just that repeated over and over again.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,452,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm terrible with the whole dew points thing, but I second dry nights. As an aspiring amateur astronomer, I need to have clear skies at night to see the stars properly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
wow astronomer! thats so cool!

Having dry cool nights in summer will be like a dream come true for me and something so different that what im used too, in where nights are sticky and sauna like. Between december and the end of february i didnt use anything more than sleevless t shirt at night. I never needed anything more. A very light sleevles t shirt with a skirt or a light summer dress. Never needed not even the lightest little jacket, not even a t shirt with the tiniest sleeves, anything. I HATED that so much.
I'm an amateur astronomer aswell. That's where most of my rage towards cloudy weather comes from. I have 2 telescopes which I paid thousands for and all they are doing is collecting dust in the spare room

Last edited by Flight Simmer; 08-13-2012 at 04:24 AM..

Old 08-13-2012, 06:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,986,064 times
Quote:
Look at the first week of february, for instance:

With me taking 10c it would be like this:

01/02: 11.2/22.1
02/02: 10.7/23.7
03/02: 10.8/21
04/02: 13.1/23.3
05/02: 14/ 24.7
06/02: 11.3/22
07/02: 14.6/23.2

they are even some swimming pool days in there. To me, those numbers are perfect summer weather.
That's not too bad. The main complaint are the lows. Take off 5C and I'd say it was good weather even with the warm days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm terrible with the whole dew points thing, but I second dry nights. As an aspiring amateur astronomer, I need to have clear skies at night to see the stars properly
I like clear skies at night as well, and for the record I too have an astronomical interest. I like cloudy, stormy nights as well, but not on a constant basis, so there will be many clear or mostly clear nights mixed in as well. Ideally I'd like on average to have more cloud cover during daytime than nighttime.

Quote:
Having dry cool nights in summer will be like a dream come true for me and something so different that what im used too, in where nights are sticky and sauna like.
The air needs to be dry and clean as well. I've seen a couple of nights in my lifetime that, although it was "clear", I could hardly see a single star because the haze, humidity, and whatever other pollutants define summertime, was so thick. Humidity makes it harder to breathe, harder to see stars and other targets, and has the potential to fog up lenses.

Also, the colder the better. I instinctively know it's nighttime when a significant cooldown occurs just after sunset and it keeps cooling through the overnight hours. That sort of big cooling just has the right feel to me, versus remaining hot for hours during the evening and never cooling down much (like a 65/85F day). Generally the colder the air is the clearer the sky is too, so that's another bonus. There is also a certain romantic touch to peering through a telescope lens while wearing in a warm coat and being able to blow my breath. Bring on the three-dog nights.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 AM

4,891 posts, read 8,917,818 times
90 and sunny in Nevada is balmy!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,713 posts, read 39,174,562 times
Quote:
well, 30/14 is a whole different story, imo, even when its too hot for me too. But a 14c average low gives the place an opportunity to cool off, and the above 20c avg lows like in BA or NY dont give that opportunity, which gives the impression of a much hotter atmosphere, imo.

14/30 isnt THAT bad, but of course i will still need A/C and will hate the majority of the days. Do the lows occur at night or in the morning where you live? Can you have a 15c night there or that just happen in morning and nights are more around 20c?

Here nights are always around 25c in summer, cause when the lows happen, they happen in the very early morning (around 4-5 am), so even if the lows are around 20c, we have many 25-30c nights.
And we did have a couple of 30c+ nights too .
Generally closer to Buenos Aires' pattern unless it's a very cloudy or rainy night. Though sometimes passing evening storms can cause large temperature drops. But typically it might around 22C at bedtime (maybe 11 pm) but drop to 16C in the early morning. Varies a lot, sometimes is 20C or so when I go to bed and a can feel almost chilly to me (for summer) in the morning; with the inside of room 18C-19C.

I think the larger difference, besides you dislike heat much more than me, is you live in a building that absorbs heat and ventilates badly compared to mine. Typically this summer in the evening before I go to sleep my room has been around 25-26C, and this has been a warmer summer, some days it's cooler. When I wake up it's cooler, maybe 23C. I open up all my windows and turn on two fans in the evening, but I sometimes turn off one overnight if it's not that hot.

I have a friend who lives on the top floor of a 3 story row house (a row house is a house that shares walls with neighboring houses like this one. He has no A/C and unlike the one in the photo, it gets no shade. It was hot inside the last time I visited and it was only a bit above average nowhere near the hottest of the summer.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,452,314 times
I can't stand cold cloudy summer mornings. Because of our endless parade of cold fronts, it can be 30C at bedtime, and being a hot evening you won't have blankets or anything, only to wake up to 13-14C and drizzle the next morning. And you'll be sneezing and blowing your nose as your room temp has dropped to well under 20C and you are in a pair of boxers with a light sheet at most. And there is nothing more disgusting than a hot sunny day and hot evening giving way to cold overcast drizzle bull**** that will last longer than any heatwave ever will

Most summer nights here require a light doona atleast as the average is too cold and many overnight lows drop below 15C

Old 08-13-2012, 10:15 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,986,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Most summer nights here require a light doona atleast as the average is too cold and many overnight lows drop below 15C
I'm the first to respect differing clothing options - after all, our internal thermostats run differently, and to maintain an equilibrium different clothing is required for different people. I just tell what I do, in case anyone is curious.

As for myself, if there is a low of 15C I never wear a jacket or even a sweater to keep warm. I'm just fine and warm in short sleeves (in fact if anything a bit too warm ). Below 10C or so is when I can wear a vest if I want to, and below about 4C a vest is pretty much required for me being outside for sustained periods. This assumes it's a dry, calm night. If it's pouring down rain I'll be wearing a raincoat (to keep dry, not to keep warm (well, at <5C or so warmth is a factor in pouring rain)), and if it's windy wind chill comes into play (in that case just substitute the wind chill for my temperature figures).

Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 AM

22,196 posts, read 22,109,873 times
If it's 15C at 4am here, then I'll be outside in a T shirt and shorts - if I wear a jacket I'll become too warm and feel sweaty (this is when I'm taking my dog for a walk)

Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,553,058 times
If it is somewhere dry, I'd want a high of 95F and a low of 70F. If it is somewhere humid, I'd want a high of 85F and a low of 75F, either way I want a light cool breeze and clear skies. Also, thunderstorms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather