Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
The biggest cities in argentina averages in winter (in celsius):

Jun July August September

Buenos Aires (13,000,000 hab) : 7.6/15.6 7.4/13.9 8.9/17.3 9.9/18.9 Buenos Aires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Córdoba (1,309,000 hab) 6/19 6/19 7/21 9/23 Córdoba, Córdoba Province - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rosario (1,000,000 hab) 5/16 5/16 5/18 7/21 Rosario, Santa Fe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mendoza (850,000 hab) 2.6/15.5 2.4/14.7 4.4/18 6.4/20.4 Mendoza, Argentina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

La Plata (700,000 hab) 5.6/14.7 5.5/14.3 5.9/15.8 7.5/17.8 La Plata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, this ones are the biggest most important most populated cities of Argentina. Can you see now how this climate of this cities is very similar to LA in winter and obviously very very warm? This are the biggest/ most populated/ most important cities in Argentina, not Santa Rosa, as you said.

Wow, I didn't realise how big a City Buenos Aires is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Reading through some of the posts on here, certain people would have you believe that Argentina and Buenos Aires in particular, is the hottest place on Earth! It's hardly unbearable, Summers in BA are very similar to NYC so it's hardly the hellish sauna it's made out to be!!
Also, calling the US very, very cold is absolutely ridiculous! 95% of the US outside of Alaska has very warm or even hot Summers and the Southern States have beautiful sunny and even warm winters! I'm sure there are very cold areas in winter, but then you get the Summer heat so it definitely evens itself out!
Or it could just be that certain Americans cannot take criticism and are very rude, and shoot anyone down who dare says the US is not the greatest or whatever, making this forum are very unpleasant place to post.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Or it could just be that certain Americans cannot take criticism and are very rude, and shoot anyone down who dare says the US is not the greatest or whatever, making this forum are very unpleasant place to post.
I didn't realise that would be me going after all and sunder who dare intimate the US is not the greatest in every area including weather. Really? You have mentioned this before in posts. Maybe it's you that try to read more into people posts, and not the other way round.

I don't like patently false posts. Take a look at what she said right here:

"Beare in mind that Ushuaia, the coldest city in Arg, is warmer than New York in the winter, and i ve read that NY is been reefered as "mild" by US standards here in CD. So, if the coldest place is even warmer than your "mild" place, then imagine the rest. Saving Patagonia, the rest of Argentina winters are nonexistent for the stadars i read on this forum, and even tropical if you go far north."

First off, Ushuaia is 39/28 in the coldest month, and NYC is 39/27F in the coldest month, hardly "warmer". Secondly, so the entire USA has a winter as cold or colder than NYC. Please. Large areas, probably a majority of the country of Argentina has winters colder than BA. The Pampas are colder. As I pointed out, the vast middle area of Argentina is the same as the middle south in the US, like Jackson, MS.

Buenos Aires does not represent all of Argentina, and that was my point. She goes on about NYC as if it were the warmest part of the US in winter. That is an exaggeration beyond extreme.

What I don't like is people posting stuff that is blatantly false like this: Argentina is MUCH warmer than the entire USA in winter. Really, all of Argentina is warmer than all of the USA in winter. Yeah, right. Or, "USA in winter is very very cold". So all of the USA including CA, the SW, TX, the South, state of FL (which is larger than England) is "very very cold" in winter. Seriously? Of course I'm going to call BS on that. Wouldn't you?

Old 07-15-2012, 01:04 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I agree that the post referring to you was particularly rude, and on an unfair basis, as what you said was essentially true.
People can become surprisingly harsh about weather which should be a fairly peaceful topic.

However it's true that sometimes you have a tendency to turn subjective impressions into really exaggerated statements, such as when you complain about the "insufferably hot" summers of your city which are only a touch warmer than Nice's, and colder (at least for night temps) than the coldest month in Singapore's history, all of which I find very gentle; so it's all very subjective.

I fully agree that insults should be very unwelcome here though.
No it wasn't. BA does not represent all of Argentina in winter, just as NYC does not represent all of the US in winter. Saying that the US "in winter is very very cold" is an exaggeration. Large areas of the US have Jan avg highs in the 50'sF, 60's, 70'sF. Large areas also are colder. Point is you can't make a grossly exaggerated statement like that about a country the size of the US.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM

29 posts, read 59,904 times
Quote:
I dont know why you are mentioning Santa Rosa, thats nowhere near to beg among the biggest or most important cities in Argentina. I quoted only the 5 biggest cities in Argentina in wich the most populated of those have 10 times the people of Sta Rosa (that only haves 90,000 people and is nowhere near to be a big city) . Also, all of this cities are warmer. Compare this 5 cities i mentioned with the biggest cities in USA in the winter temps and lets see what cities are warmer.

So, you are wrong: Santa Rosa is not a big city, and its not one of the warmest cities in Argentina. I showed you how the 5 biggest cities in Argentina are warmer than Santa Rosa and how Sta Rosa isnt even big, so you need to get your fact straight before calling out someone else.
First off I/m not American. Next, I’m no weather/climate expert either, so relax; However, the old man has done a great deal of traveling. So I do have a bit of experience of being in different climates in different seasons. As Tom77 says, you do seem to be saying one thing, and then twisting words to say another .

First you said people in the states think NYC is warm in the winter...then you say 95 % of the USA is “very very cold in winter” (as if implying that the big cities in Argentina are warmer). You seem to be trying to prove very hard that most of the people in Argentina live in warm winter climates compared to the USA. Yet, your own data that you post shows your incorrect – lol. Or maybe I’m missing something?

Here are the cities YOU listed as the “biggest warm cities” in Argentina and their mean temperature in their coldest month (July):

Buenos Aires ( The city of BA only has 2.8 million, not 15 million) -51.6 F/10.9 C
Córdoba (1 million) - 52 F/11 C
Rosario (1 million) – 51 F/10.5 C
Mendoza (850,000) – 47 F/8 C
La Plata (700,000)- 48 F/9.2 C

So the warmest big city… in the coldest month in Argentina...is Cordoba correct? Buenos Aires is very close 2nd with 51.6 F/10.9 C right?.

Here is a list of (just a few) cities in the USA from Wiki that have a HIGHER mean temp in their respective coldest month (January) than BOTH Cordoba and Buenos Aires…the two warmest cities in Argentina:

Miami (400,000 city/4.5 million metro)…68 F/
Orlando (1.3 million city/2.5 million metro)…60.3 F
St. Petersburg ( City 250,000/2.3 million metro)…63 F
Tampa (335,000 city/4 million metro) …60.5 F
Brownsville (200,000 city/1 million metro)…61 F
Corpus Christi (300,000 city/800,000 metro)....57 F
San Diego (1.3 million city/3 million metro)...57 F
Los Angelse (3.7 million city/17 million metro)...59 F
Jacksonville (1 million city/1.3 million metro)...53 F
Phoniex (1.4 million city/4 million metro)....56 F
Houston (2 million city/6 million metro)...53 F
New Orleans (350,000 city/1.5 million metro...52.8 F

Of course, the above list is just large cities/metro’s...it doesn’t include the hundreds of smaller cities and towns in Florida and California, both of which have vast areas that warmer in winter than BOTH Cordoba and Buenos Aires. As far as the other two “biggest warm winter cities” you list, Mendoza (47 F) and La Plata (48 F)…they are still colder than the typical Sunbelt city/resort in the USA like San Francisco, Myrtle Beach, or San Antonio, TX in winter. Hundreds and hundreds of cities/towns in the Great Valley of California, the desert southwest, and the Gulf coast are warmer in their coldest month than Mendoza and La Plata.

The point is that VAST areas of the USA are warmer in their coldest month than the warmest big cities in Argentina in their coldest month... like I originally stated. Further, I would bet FAR MORE Americans (in numbers) live in warmer climates than Argentineans...also like I previously stated. I think you should become more aware of geography outside your own region...as it would help with the confusion.

Last edited by Nomad855; 07-15-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
True. There are more Americans that live in "warm" winter climates than Argentines. However, there's also a lot more Americans than Argentines, and I think you'll find an equal or greater number of Americans living in climates that are colder in winter than most or all of Argentina.

As a percentage basis, I think you'll find a much higher percentage of Americans live in "very cold" (by Sophie's standards) winter climates than Argentines do. I believe there's also a higher percentage of warmer winter denizens in America, brought on by the fact that there's a lot more variation in winter temperatures in the U.S. than in Argentina. Just think of the variation from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, and then compare that to the variation between Miami and Minneapolis.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad855 View Post
First off I/m not American. Next, I’m no weather/climate expert either, so relax; However, the old man has done a great deal of traveling. So I do have a bit of experience of being in different climates in different seasons. As Tom77 says, you do seem to be saying one thing, and then twisting words to say another .

First you said people in the states think NYC is warm in the winter...then you say 95 % of the USA is “very very cold in winter” (as if implying that the big cities in Argentina are warmer). You seem to be trying to prove very hard that most of the people in Argentina live in warm winter climates compared to the USA. Yet, your own data that you post shows your incorrect – lol. Or maybe I’m missing something?

Here are the cities YOU listed as the “biggest warm cities” in Argentina and their mean temperature in their coldest month (July):

Buenos Aires ( The city of BA only has 2.8 million, not 15 million) -51.6 F/10.9 C
Córdoba (1 million) - 52 F/11 C
Rosario (1 million) – 51 F/10.5 C
Mendoza (850,000) – 47 F/8 C
La Plata (700,000)- 48 F/9.2 C

So the warmest big city… in the coldest month in Argentina...is Cordoba correct? Buenos Aires is very close 2nd with 51.6 F/10.9 C right?.

Here is a list of (just a few) cities in the USA from Wiki that have a HIGHER mean temp in their respective coldest month (January) than BOTH Cordoba and Buenos Aires…the two warmest cities in Argentina:

Miami (400,000 city/4.5 million metro)…68 F/
Orlando (1.3 million city/2.5 million metro)…60.3 F
St. Petersburg ( City 250,000/2.3 million metro)…63 F
Tampa (335,000 city/4 million metro) …60.5 F
Brownsville (200,000 city/1 million metro)…61 F
Corpus Christi (300,000 city/800,000 metro)....57 F
San Diego (1.3 million city/3 million metro)...57 F
Los Angelse (3.7 million city/17 million metro)...59 F
Jacksonville (1 million city/1.3 million metro)...53 F
Phoniex (1.4 million city/4 million metro)....56 F
Houston (2 million city/6 million metro)...53 F
New Orleans (350,000 city/1.5 million metro...52.8 F

Of course, the above list is just large cities/metro’s...it doesn’t include the hundreds of smaller cities and towns in Florida and California, both of which have vast areas that warmer in winter than BOTH Cordoba and Buenos Aires. As far as the other two “biggest warm winter cities” you list, Mendoza (47 F) and La Plata (48 F)…they are still colder than the typical Sunbelt city/resort in the USA like San Francisco, Myrtle Beach, or San Antonio, TX in winter. Hundreds and hundreds of cities/towns in the Great Valley of California, the desert southwest, and the Gulf coast are warmer in their coldest month than Mendoza and La Plata.

The point is that VAST areas of the USA are warmer in their coldest month than the warmest big cities in Argentina in their coldest month... like I originally stated. Further, I would bet FAR MORE Americans (in numbers) live in warmer climates than Argentineans...also like I previously stated. I think you should become more aware of geography outside your own region...as it would help with the confusion.

What?? First of all: NO, Cordoba and Buenos Aires arent the warmest cities in Argentina in winter!! I only posted Coroba, BSAS, and the others, cause other poster mentioned Santa Rosa, La Pampa, as one of the big most important cities in argentina, so i posted the REAL biggest (most populated) most important cities in Argentina wich are those five i mentioned. There are many cities MUCH warmer than Cordoba and BA in the winter, you can look for yourself. Basically, all Argentinian northeast is warmer, with climates close to trpoical.

Second, i didnt said 15,000,000 i said 13,000,000 wich is BA and the metro area included: taking in count that the metro area is right here and most of the people there work here, BA is much more reflected as a 13,000,000 people city (wich is what you would find here in the streets if you lived here, it is a crowded city), than a 3,000,000 city.

So, if you are gonna correct me, get your facts straight first.

I cant believe there are people so angry and outraged that i DARED to say "USA is much much colder than argentina in winter" to the point of insulting me. I have admited being wrong many many times in the past, but i wont in this, first of all cause you are insulting me and taking this way out of proportion. Second, cause you are presenting incorrect facts, and by correcting my "supposedly" incorrect fact (you never proved they were wrong) you are presenting incorrect facts yourself.

First, with the santa rosa, now, this post above: all full of incorrect facts.

I might not now much about USA weather, but certainly you have no idea about argentinia weather if you say BA and cordoba are the hottest cities (wtf?)

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
True. There are more Americans that live in "warm" winter climates than Argentines. However, there's also a lot more Americans than Argentines, and I think you'll find an equal or greater number of Americans living in climates that are colder in winter than most or all of Argentina.

As a percentage basis, I think you'll find a much higher percentage of Americans live in "very cold" (by Sophie's standards) winter climates than Argentines do. I believe there's also a higher percentage of warmer winter denizens in America, brought on by the fact that there's a lot more variation in winter temperatures in the U.S. than in Argentina. Just think of the variation from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires, and then compare that to the variation between Miami and Minneapolis.
True .

Im only talking percentage here cause there are 300 millons people in USA and 40 millon people in Arg, there are OBVIOUSLY more people living in warmer and colder cities in USA.

But, like i said and i repeat and its clearly based on what i know or think i know from this forum, i dont have a map or anything. I do think USA in winter is in percentage way colder than Argentina. I repeat this, even when it makes some people feel outraged, until someone proves me wrong.

Last edited by SophieLL; 07-16-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM

29 posts, read 59,904 times
Quote:
What?? First of all: NO, Cordoba and Buenos Aires arent the warmest cities in Argentina in winter!! I only posted Coroba, BSAS, and the others, cause other poster mentioned Santa Rosa, La Pampa, as one of the big most important cities in argentina, so i posted the REAL biggest (most populated) most important cities in Argentina wich are those five i mentioned. There are many cities MUCH warmer than Cordoba and BA in the winter, you can look for yourself. Basically, all Argentinian northeast is warmer, with climates close to trpoical.

Second, i didnt said 15,000,000 i said 13,000,000 wich is BA and the metro area included: taking in count that the metro area is right here and most of the people there work here, BA is much more reflected as a 13,000,000 people city (wich is what you would find here in the streets if you lived here, it is a crowded city), than a 3,000,000 city.

So, if you are gonna correct me, get your facts straight first.

I cant believe there are people so angry and outraged that i DARED to say "USA is much much colder than argentina in winter" to the point of insulting me. I have admited being wrong many many times in the past, but i wont in this, first of all cause you are insulting me and taking this way out of proportion. Second, cause you are presenting incorrect facts, and by correcting my "supposedly" incorrect fact (you never proved they were wrong) you are presenting incorrect facts yourself.

First, with the santa rosa, now, this post above: all full of incorrect facts.

I might not now much about USA weather, but certainly you have no idea about argentinia weather if you say BA and cordoba are the hottest cities (wtf?)
I’m not sure what your point really is? You're the one who posted those cities!

You seem to be saying one thing, then another. Now your not talking about population anymore because you know your incorrect. For someone who profess to hate warm weather, --it seems rather strange that it bothers you so much parts of the USA are warmer in winter than BA or Coroba are. You are the one who seems a bit put off that someone DARED to correct your very incorrect statement? Sorry but I think in fairness the facts deserve equal time.

You are the one that said 95% of the USA is very, very cold winter.

Obviously your incorrect, because millions of Americans live in climates that are WARMER than the biggest warm winter cities/or population centers in Argentina. The tiny tropical area of Argentina has few large cities - and you know it. BA and Coroba are two of the largest warm winter cities/population cities in Argentina…and CLEARY they are colder in winter than where MILLIONS OF AMERICANS LIVE. Why you are attacking me for pointing this out is another matter.

So to correct your original statement… if the USA is very, very cold in winter…. ‘then 95% of all Argentineans live in even colder winter climates than MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of Americans live in.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad855 View Post

So to correct your original statement… if the USA is very, very cold in winter…. ‘then 95% of all Argentineans live in even colder winter climates than MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of Americans live in.
This is a stupid and ignorant statement.

Here is the map of the US population density. Most Americans in fact live in colder winter climates than Argentinians.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather