U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Rate
A 5 20.83%
B 7 29.17%
C 6 25.00%
D 5 20.83%
E 0 0%
F 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,490,503 times

Advertisements

D-.

Summer average highs above 80 F/27 C
and milder-than-Canadian-winter average highs save it from being an F.
At least there's one season a year that I would like.

Winters still might make me want to top myself though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 AM

1,507 posts, read 964,149 times
C, continental climate and not something I am familiar with - not sure how it is rated humid subtropical with yearly means of 8C to 15C.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,797,851 times
It isn't a continental climate. Its coldest month average is 0C, which is significantly above the -3C criterion for continental climates (persistent snowpack isotherm). It also has hottest month means well above 22C, and its low of almost 70F is pretty stinking-hot. It also has 6 months above 50F. So if you use the original Koeppen system, which I believe makes the most sense, it is definitely Cfa. If you use the 0C isotherm for continental climates it would qualify as Dfa, but it's still borderline. As for its annual mean of 53F, I don't see how that should be a problem. A good chunk of the American Cfa zone has annual means in that range.

If you don't think it should be considered subtropical, post your objections in the subtropical debate thread we already have. We don't need this thread to turn into one. I'm just telling why it is considered subtropical under the Koeppen system. Everything checks out for a Cfa (humid subtropical) classification.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:11 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,483,241 times
Nice snowfall/rainfall, warm summers and winters aren't overly cold even if a little too long. Unfortunately the cloudiness drops the mark considerably.

C

Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM

7,032 posts, read 3,962,597 times
D

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It isn't a continental climate. Its coldest month average is 0C, which is significantly above the -3C criterion for continental climates (persistent snowpack isotherm). It also has hottest month means well above 22C, and its low of almost 70F is pretty stinking-hot. It also has 6 months above 50F. So if you use the original Koeppen system, which I believe makes the most sense, it is definitely Cfa. If you use the 0C isotherm for continental climates it would qualify as Dfa, but it's still borderline. As for its annual mean of 53F, I don't see how that should be a problem. A good chunk of the American Cfa zone has annual means in that range.

If you don't think it should be considered subtropical, post your objections in the subtropical debate thread we already have. We don't need this thread to turn into one. I'm just telling why it is considered subtropical under the Koeppen system. Everything checks out for a Cfa (humid subtropical) classification.
I think you are mixing the average highs with average daily temperature.
Isn't the coldest month averaging +2 C?
15/8 C is nearly the same annual average as Vancouver.

20 C mornings "stinking hot"?
I felt slightly-chilled at sunrise in Townsville in the Wet Season; consistent lows of 73-74 F (23 C) and nearly 100% humidity.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM

14,885 posts, read 8,715,570 times
You must have been born inside a roaring oven, Cold Canadian.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:09 PM

5,101 posts, read 2,797,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I think you are mixing the average highs with average daily temperature.
Isn't the coldest month averaging +2 C?
The average high in the coldest month is +2.7C, and the low is -2.7C. That averages out to 0.0C for the daily mean. I should have been clearer on that.

Quote:
15/8 C is nearly the same annual average as Vancouver.
Vancouver (a Cfb climate) isn't continental, either, and it has much cooler summers. There's more seasonality in Akita, but it's a snug fit into the Koeppen Cfa category. Whether that has any meaning is up to each one of us to decide for ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
20 C mornings "stinking hot"?
Sure. I've never met a 20C morning that didn't feel kinda hot (obviously you have, but that's to be expected). Whether it's "stinking-hot" or not depends on the humidity - if the humidity is high that's a yes, if there's low humidity then it's just balmy. Akita has high humidity in summer.

Quote:
I felt slightly-chilled at sunrise in Townsville in the Wet Season; consistent lows of 73-74 F (23 C) and nearly 100% humidity.
And I felt slightly warmed when the nighttime low failed to drop below 55F once ...

Old 07-21-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
You must have been born inside a roaring oven, Cold Canadian.
Hahaha.

From my perspective,
reading City-Data it seems that most people need "cool conditions" in particular to thrive and be happy.
That they are so warm blooded that they could possibly die from their own body warmth if they wore too many clothes, say with an air temperature of 18 C/65 F.

I just disliked a cooling sensation when I don't feel overheated.
I don't understand why so many crave coolness,
unless their bodies are cranking out at least three times as much body heat as mine.
I crave cool conditions when I excersize heavily and when I'm sick... but never any other time.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,251,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
A+

I'm not sure I'd give any Japanese climate lower than a C+ and certainly no worse than a B+ if it gets sufficient snow, which many locations do.
I just want to reiterate my A+ grade of Akita's climate.

A slight dry season would be welcome in April-June but it's okay the way it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather