U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,335,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
There's a big difference between being "stuck indoors" and wanting to be indoors because I find the weather crap (i.e. cold, drizzly, raining windy or some combination thereof). Nothing short of 300 inches of snow or 80mph+ winds would FORCE me to stay indoors but I sure as fudge aren't going to go outside if the weather isn't to my tastes unless I have to because there would be things I'd rather do inside.
Exactly. "Stuck indoors" conjures up images of people refraining from going outside out of necessity. When you choose to remain inside even though you could go outside that's something different.

I also would like to point out that although I've never really been in 80 mph winds, I have been in artificially generated winds of about 83 mph (created by car movement plus natural headwinds) and while it's very rough I doubt that even wind of that magnitude would deter me from going outside, assuming of course I had proper protective clothing available (including goggles). If anything it would encourage me to go out, since that would be the biggest windstorm of my lifetime. The only instance in which I'd run for cover would be if there was large debris flying through the air. Stronger winds than 80-90 mph usually feature that, depending on where you are of course (suburbia would have much more debris than some mountain peak above the treeline).

As for the 300 inches of snow, assuming it all fell at one time my house would be buried, and I would be trapped inside. However, in that situation I'd have to dig a tunnel for egress out of the house and for ventilation, so even then I'd have to go outside, though I certainly wouldn't be driving anywhere until Spring.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,017,499 times
The hottest i have ever been was in vegas in late July when it got to 1145 with no humdity. Felt like a furance and was pretty dangerous as some of the tourist fell out .I am from texas and use to heat. Dry and high temperature are dangerous.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:36 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,418,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The hottest i have ever been was in vegas in late July when it got to 1145 with no humdity. Felt like a furance and was pretty dangerous as some of the tourist fell out .
Wow. I bet.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,127,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Exactly. "Stuck indoors" conjures up images of people refraining from going outside out of necessity. When you choose to remain inside even though you could go outside that's something different.

I also would like to point out that although I've never really been in 80 mph winds, I have been in artificially generated winds of about 83 mph (created by car movement plus natural headwinds) and while it's very rough I doubt that even wind of that magnitude would deter me from going outside, assuming of course I had proper protective clothing available (including goggles). If anything it would encourage me to go out, since that would be the biggest windstorm of my lifetime. The only instance in which I'd run for cover would be if there was large debris flying through the air. Stronger winds than 80-90 mph usually feature that, depending on where you are of course (suburbia would have much more debris than some mountain peak above the treeline).

As for the 300 inches of snow, assuming it all fell at one time my house would be buried, and I would be trapped inside. However, in that situation I'd have to dig a tunnel for egress out of the house and for ventilation, so even then I'd have to go outside, though I certainly wouldn't be driving anywhere until Spring.
That's plausible provided you're properly protected from debris. Last year, winds on the backside of Irene were around 50 MPH. I could have easily been killed in my yard with the sticks, trees, and branches flying all over the place.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM

25,125 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
That's plausible provided you're properly protected from debris. Last year, winds on the backside of Irene were around 50 MPH. I could have easily been killed in my yard with the sticks, trees, and branches flying all over the place.
My parent's had a large 3 foot tall stick planted in the backyard standing straight up. Very large half-dead tree fell, thankfully in the opposite direction of the house.

Above treeline, say Mt. Washington, there's less to blow around at high wind speeds but if the winds are too extreme there's a danger of slipping and falling onto rocks.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM

10,364 posts, read 5,127,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
My parent's had a large 3 foot tall stick planted in the backyard standing straight up. Very large half-dead tree fell, thankfully in the opposite direction of the house.

Above treeline, say Mt. Washington, there's less to blow around at high wind speeds but if the winds are too extreme there's a danger of slipping and falling onto rocks.
"

Yeah lots of sticks and branches were impaled into the ground. Hard to believe it's been almost a year!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 1,685 times
Live about 25 miles northeast of LR. It's always hot, but the lack of rain this summer made it much worse. Believe we have been over 110 here in Beebe ourselves atleast once.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 PM

25,125 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
"

Yeah lots of sticks and branches were impaled into the ground. Hard to believe it's been almost a year!
And now for a repeat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather