U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM

20,680 posts, read 7,261,578 times
I agree autumn is long and boring here. I wish it was like alaska where it only lasted a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,656,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. Poor nei. Hey, you had you're 18 straight months of above normal temps.
Normals are irrelevant .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Even if you're a cold fan, I still can't understand what you'd like about our autumn, because it's basically just a slightly cooler and much more boring tedious version of summer. It's not anything like a winter you'd enjoy any more than summer really. Anyway it's not invigorating to me but boring, I tend to lose most of my interest in the weather until about March the following year.
I'd consider it invigorating, and you do have comfortable temperatures and maritime storms in Autumn, so someone like me can enjoy it for what it is. Buxton averages 59/47 in September, 52/41 in October, and 45/36 in November.

Those figures, although they do bring some enjoyable weather, are actually pretty lousy for Autumn - the nights need to be a lot chillier than that. What really stinks about a Buxton Autumn for me (a cold lover) is that the nights are too warm, there is not nearly enough variation in temperatures, and it never transitions to Winter (more like an extended late Autumn). Autumn in northern New England is vastly superior.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,792,197 times
Well that's the problem with maritime climates. Very little temperature variation and the temperature can be the same mid day in February as at mid-day in July. Autumn here can be summed up as temp somewhere between 3-15C, overcast with drizzle and a bit of wind. Like watching paint dry, and then waiting for it to peel and crack off the wall.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM

10,565 posts, read 5,643,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Humbug. "Not as bad" does not equal "good".
I beg to differ. A 70 F day in spring, for example, is indeed "good" over what Sophie or myself deal with during the summer. Even during this lousy winter I just experienced, I was quite content most of the time. I'll take what I consider comfortable temperatures any day, even if it isn't exactly my ideal weather for the time of year.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:25 AM

10,565 posts, read 5,643,461 times
Quote:
The leaves don't go red here. Goes from dull green to anemic yellow, usually with lovely slate grey skies as a background every day, and of course the drizzle. Before it all turns to dead spindly skeletal looking trees by November, and the first frosts with 15 hours of night time. Invigorating eh.
That sounds like appropriate autumn weather to me. I love it as the trees shed their leaves. The grey sky is a perfect backdrop.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:45 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,532,192 times
I LOVE fall!!!! But we don't have fall in Houston, but I'll be in North Carolina in Oct!!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:59 PM

2,612 posts, read 1,767,789 times
Now with this cold front and lows back in the low 50s, I really start to think of fall. I keep hearing Colorado will have snow in September, or at least it's looking like that. It snowed on Mount Evans Monday, but that's at 14,000 ft. But having 3 cold fronts in less than two weeks was way better than the VERY WEAK two cool fronts we got ALL of July. I have seen some changing of the leaves in some trees, but that's only about 1% of trees thus far. Most are still full green. Now time to go out and enjoy tomorrow in Denver.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 AM

20,680 posts, read 7,261,578 times
You know the way there is a site for leave changing in the USA is there a britushsite like that?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 AM

18,511 posts, read 8,671,148 times
Quote:
Well that's the problem with maritime climates. Very little temperature variation and the temperature can be the same mid day in February as at mid-day in July. Autumn here can be summed up as temp somewhere between 3-15C, overcast with drizzle and a bit of wind. Like watching paint dry, and then waiting for it to peel and crack off the wall.
At least you have temperature variation in the UK my hometown varied in temperature between 31C and 28C all year. That's way less than the difference between July and January in Buxton, or anywhere in the UK :P

Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 450,779 times
A hard freeze is predicted for Tuesday night here. I'll be waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather