Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:30 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

What does rep points have to do with this discussion? It's the content of your posts that counts, not rep points. And to anyone that still begs to differ, perhaps you can look at his reputation figure of 2395. Even if rep points did count for everything it still works in Weatherfan's favor.
Well that was the point I was making. I don't care about rep points bolillo loco was the one bringing it up that he had loads of rep points or something, as if implying it makes his/her/its point more valid or something.

I then said I don't need such validation to know I'm right because the fact genuine heat lovers do exist is the validation right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 AM

645 posts, read 1,275,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
You don't have to wonder, my reaction is one of intense joy and pleasure. 100 degrees is great, and with more humidity even more comfortable, I hate really dry air.
That's great! However, I feel the need to again direct you to my original post when I stated that there are actually a few people that do love the heat. Hence, you were obviously excluded from the faux heat lovers I was talking about earlier. When somebody tosses direct insults about a public forum, they're the only one that looks foolish. Additionally, you're taking this thread off topic and making it a personal issue when there's no need to do so.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well that was the point I was making. I don't care about rep points bolillo loco was the one bringing it up that he had loads of rep points or something, as if implying it makes his/her/its point more valid or something.

I then said I don't need such validation to know I'm right because the fact genuine heat lovers do exist is the validation right there.
You really seem to make a lot of assumptions and having difficulty understanding what I was stating. I said that while you may disagree with me, and I'm sure you're not alone that there were just as many that agreed with me. It had nothing to do with being validating, making my point any more or less valid, or any other assumption you can think of. Reputation points mean absolutely nothing. All one needs to rack up reputation points is to post in a lot of threads year after year. There's no real achievement there.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This is about a standard room temperature, so it should be adapted to standard conditions. Put another way, it's the base one works from when modifying the indoor environment for the seasons. The standard that is most commonly used (at least in my experience) is 72F. A/C settings are usually set warmer than that, and heating settings are usually set cooler than that. Just basing your generic, standard room temperature off of only one season misses the big picture, namely balancing it out with the other season. 76F is a very common room temperature in summer, but it isn't the general (i.e. year-round) standard that I was referring to, at least not for most people.

As for lighter clothing, I myself start out in winter conditions (>70F) perfectly comfortable in shorts and short sleeves, so shedding layers isn't an option for me. 76F indoors is beyond my tolerance point. Everyone, even you, have a certain point where they are too hot even without any clothing, and after that point the environment needs to be cooled. My point is on the extreme cold end, but that threshold exists for everyone, just at differing temperatures.

Exactly. To a certain extent it's all about thresholds. I could illustrate the point among different groups of humans, but an even more extreme example is penguins versus humans. At 60F penguins become overheated and crowd the beaches much like humans do when it's 100F. The 100F humans and 60F penguins feel pretty much the same, but their thresholds for comfort are different.

Another example is one instance of a man in Illinois posting that he was feeling "too hot" when it got up into the low 40's. That same temperature has been documented to require wearing parkas among some Floridians. So we have the same temperature, which is scorching hot for one and freezing cold to the other. All of us like to be comfortable at least part of the time, but comfortable could mean anything from 30F to 90F.

Eh, I say we let it run for a while. It just might turn into something interesting, though somehow I doubt it.

What does rep points have to do with this discussion? It's the content of your posts that counts, not rep points. And to anyone that still begs to differ, perhaps you can look at his reputation figure of 2395. Even if rep points did count for everything it still works in Weatherfan's favor.
Yeah 76F in winter is way too hot for me as well. In the winter time my house ranges from 65F to 72F depending on time of day. I refer closer to 65 at night and 72 in the day when I'm at home. IN the summertime, I prefer around 72 degrees at night and have no problem with up to 84 at home daytime, provided I have fans (which I do). The very high indoor temp is just an adaptation of me from my more formative years in the Caribbean

Old 08-27-2012, 11:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Let alone, worship it?

I find cold weather infinitely more tolerable. True, a wet windy cold sucks when you're not dressed right, but I'd still take it over the 100 degrees it hit today. Both make me delirious but at least when it's cold, I can breathe. I prefer pain to suffocation. It's almost 11 PM and still 80F outside. It's disgusting.

Not to mention I hate the presence of insects everywhere, my allergies acting up, the thick difficult to breathe air and the fact I can't comfortably walk around for many miles like I do for the 9 months of the year that the weather here in Portland, OR is cold or cool. Being sweaty and dehydrated too, don't enjoy that at all. I also find it much more difficult to sleep at night, though oddly during the day I just want to do nothing but sleep.

Swimming isn't a relief either since I have very pale Anglo-Irish skin and while I can tan, only with great pain and suffering. I prefer not to even risk that kind of exposure.

I almost feel like enjoying hot weather, it either feels much cooler and more comfortable to them and they don't sweat as much as me, or they must be slightly mascochistic.

I'm a warm weather person. I find it easier to cool off than warm up. The arguement is, well if it's cold you can always add more layers. I suppose, but that tends to get uncomfortable after awhile. I just find that the less clothing the better. Being from, and having lived in the Cleveland area all of my life, I've seen more than my fair shair of snow! Not to mention, I start getting bummed when the days get shorter. I'll take 85 any day over 35! But, different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:22 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
You really seem to make a lot of assumptions and having difficulty understanding what I was stating. I said that while you may disagree with me, and I'm sure you're not alone that there were just as many that agreed with me. It had nothing to do with being validating, making my point any more or less valid, or any other assumption you can think of. Reputation points mean absolutely nothing. All one needs to rack up reputation points is to post in a lot of threads year after year. There's no real achievement there.
I have no difficulty understanding anything.

YOU were the one going on about how people were giving YOU reps, now you're saying "Reputation points mean absolutely nothing". You have totally misread what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
I got six reputation points off of my original post, so I'm obviously not alone in my belief system.
I was the one saying they are meaningless, and so is the fact that anyone agrees with you. I personally couldn't give a flying turd about rep points.

So don't come at me with this bull about me having difficulty understanding you. Somebody as academically gifted as me generally doesn't have difficulty "understanding" anything some lesser qualified somebody on the internet says, maybe you can't write what you think effectively, yes that would appear to be the case. Further more I don't know why you give such a toss about whether some people are faux heat lovers or real heat lovers or whatever the hell. Learn to accept people have different preferences and just stop writing great diatribes like you do because it isn't very interesting and is ignorant so nobody needs to see it.

Well this thread's gone to the dogs now largely thanks to your kinds of contributions so I won't be looking in it again as it's a bloody waste of time and far from being foolish I'm going to be the opposite and stop wasting my time with you morons.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 08-27-2012 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,232,606 times
You want pain?

Waking up from bed in a cold morning! Now that's pain!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I have no difficulty understanding anything.

YOU were the one going on about how people were giving YOU reps, now you're saying "Reputation points mean absolutely nothing". You have totally misread what I said.

I was the one saying they are meaningless, and so is the fact that anyone agrees with you. I personally couldn't give a flying turd about rep points.

So don't come at me with this bull about me having difficulty understanding you. Somebody as academically gifted as me generally doesn't have difficulty "understanding" anything some lesser qualified somebody on the internet says, maybe you can't write what you think effectively, yes that would appear to be the case. Further more I don't know why you give such a toss about whether some people are faux heat lovers or real heat lovers or whatever the hell. Learn to accept people have different preferences and just stop writing great diatribes like you do because it isn't very interesting and is ignorant so nobody needs to see it.

Well this thread's gone to the dogs now largely thanks to your kinds of contributions so I won't be looking in it again as it's a bloody waste of time and far from being foolish I'm going to be the opposite and stop wasting my time with you morons.
You wrote, "Learn to accept people have different preferences..." You'd do well to heed your own advice. I also find it rather ironic that you bash my intelligence, call me names, and make huge assumptions, yet in the same breath profess your superiority, education, and intelligence. "Academically gifted" were the words I believe you used. You've continuously taken things I've said out of context, twisted them and you've made a lot of assumptions.

I will restate and add to this to try and help you understand, you are obviously one of the few people that truly enjoys the heat. Most people seem to profess their love of the heat, but they obviously enjoy San Diego / mediterranean weather and have a very narrow comfort zone that falls between the upper 60s and lower 80s. Moreover, I'm not the one who's been openly attacking other forum members. I was simply trying to explain myself and I couldn't help but wonder why you felt the need to sink to such levels.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yeah 76F in winter is way too hot for me as well. In the winter time my house ranges from 65F to 72F depending on time of day. I refer closer to 65 at night and 72 in the day when I'm at home. IN the summertime, I prefer around 72 degrees at night and have no problem with up to 84 at home daytime, provided I have fans (which I do). The very high indoor temp is just an adaptation of me from my more formative years in the Caribbean
^^ This seems cool or chilly by my preferences.

Honestly, if I'm not excersizing,
I usually start getting comfortable with an indoor temperature of at least 25 C/ 77 F
I probably wouldn't even use a fan with an indoor temperature as low as 28 C/ 82 F.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
You want pain?

Waking up from bed in a cold morning! Now that's pain!
I've woken up on cold mornings and the sensation I always get is pleasure, not pain. Waking up on a hot morning, though, has produced one of the greatest sensations of sickness, nausea, and dehydration that I've ever experienced (i.e. very bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather