Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,110 times

Advertisements

Let alone, worship it?

I find cold weather infinitely more tolerable. True, a wet windy cold sucks when you're not dressed right, but I'd still take it over the 100 degrees it hit today. Both make me delirious but at least when it's cold, I can breathe. I prefer pain to suffocation. It's almost 11 PM and still 80F outside. It's disgusting.

Not to mention I hate the presence of insects everywhere, my allergies acting up, the thick difficult to breathe air and the fact I can't comfortably walk around for many miles like I do for the 9 months of the year that the weather here in Portland, OR is cold or cool. Being sweaty and dehydrated too, don't enjoy that at all. I also find it much more difficult to sleep at night, though oddly during the day I just want to do nothing but sleep.

Swimming isn't a relief either since I have very pale Anglo-Irish skin and while I can tan, only with great pain and suffering. I prefer not to even risk that kind of exposure.

I almost feel like enjoying hot weather, it either feels much cooler and more comfortable to them and they don't sweat as much as me, or they must be slightly mascochistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
You must be new here, OP...

Probably best to lock the thread at this point.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Let alone, worship it?

I find cold weather infinitely more tolerable. True, a wet windy cold sucks when you're not dressed right, but I'd still take it over the 100 degrees it hit today. Both make me delirious but at least when it's cold, I can breathe. I prefer pain to suffocation. It's almost 11 PM and still 80F outside. It's disgusting.

Not to mention I hate the presence of insects everywhere, my allergies acting up, the thick difficult to breathe air and the fact I can't comfortably walk around for many miles like I do for the 9 months of the year that the weather here in Portland, OR is cold or cool. Being sweaty and dehydrated too, don't enjoy that at all. I also find it much more difficult to sleep at night, though oddly during the day I just want to do nothing but sleep.

Swimming isn't a relief either since I have very pale Anglo-Irish skin and while I can tan, only with great pain and suffering. I prefer not to even risk that kind of exposure.

I almost feel like enjoying hot weather, it either feels much cooler and more comfortable to them and they don't sweat as much as me, or they must be slightly mascochistic.

Different strokes for different folks....

Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
There aren't too many hot days here, so I enjoy them when they do happen. Nothing beats a warm/hot evening, so they are an automatic excuse for a party. Not so great if you have to work on a hot day though -particularly with a hangover.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,755 times
I enjoy hot weather more than cold weather, but the key point is that hot weather is not my preference. Although enjoyable, my optimal conditions are warm to hot (somewhere in the mid 20s celcius or around 75F).

Too hot and I am likely to get deydration and headaches.

But for me it is preferable to being wrapped up in multiple layers. Also I very much dislike the feeling of being cold. Cold weather is also highly correlated with overcast and grey conditions - my pet hate.

As ChesterNZ stated, you've opened up a tin of worms here!

I should also add, everybody has a different preference (and individuals' preferences are the way they are for an array of potentially complex reasons) - no-one is therefore right or wrong.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I'm with the OP. Not a fan of constant hot weather. Can never cool down adequately. I love colder weather, rain, snow. Why don't I move to a place like that? Because the old ball and chain wants to stay in the desert forever here in Las Vegas, NV.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,257 times
The older I get the more I stay inside above 100*, but I can't take the cold. Swimming is a great way to cool off but you have to "ease" into it. Do it slowly and you will not get burned. Being in Texas, this year is a lot better than the 115* + we had last year (even thought I stay inside most of the time). I do go out at night.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
I'll be blunt : I like hot days, because of my youth memories, in my "salad days". Being with friends on the beach with only a short on, sseing pretty females in swimm suits, having a "first time" (first kiss, first lovemaking), all in the warm, golden days of summer, not during the grey/cold winter, where everbody is hidden under layers of clothes, with pale aspirin faces, coughing..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
It depends if its humid and cloudy or if its not a sunny.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:25 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
I'm with you on that, OP. However, there are people who genuinely enjoy such heat. They must like sweating and feeling like a dirty wet sock all day long, but they exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather