Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,915,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Yeah the beaches are nice but it's very rare that the weather is good enough to enjoy them! Yeovilton is also very foggy, most mornings this summer started with fog, and when it wasn't foggy it was raining! I'd take your weather and water temps any day over what we get!

I like the cliffs and coves along the coast there. Your avg high in July is 71F which isn't bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,519,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Like how Sophie reckons BA is hotter than Florida and how a Florida resident visited her and supposedly was stunned by BA's heat.

All of Florida has hotter and more humid summers than BA. Anyone from Florida would take BA summers in their stride. Honestly, if anyone uninformed were to read her posts, they'd think BA was bloody Kuwait or something.

Really? Isn't BA located right on the coast of a massive inlet? 350km to find a sea? My ass, the sea is right on BA's doorstep. And I'm sure you get a fair amount of seabreezes from this ocean inlet that is as wide as Melbourne's Port Phillip Bay at BA's location.

what?? are u accusing me of lying?
lol, why would i lie for something so easy to check? Of course theres NO ocean in Buenos Aires, and everything i said its completely true. Google some and you will see. 350 km to find a sea and no access to river, no coastal path, no breeze in BA. Google some please.

And the florida thing is completely true, of course. Maybe this person lived in a tiny town with no heat island effect, no subways, NO 13 MILLON PEOPLE. Or maybe she lived in a ocean place, with will make it 100 times better. We dont even have a lake here. No water to get in in the summer. Nothing. Nada.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I think Sophie does exaggerate the heat of BA from time to time, but BA is a metropolis, asphalt, concrete, car fumes, towering blocks - and, from what I've heard, any sea breeze in BA is pretty ineffective. Urban areas can feel a lot more sultry than smaller, more rural areas.
but you guys do know that BA doesnt have an ocean, right? and no type of breeze whatsoever. or river. or access to it. Nothing.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,460,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
but you guys do know that BA doesnt have an ocean, right? and no type of breeze whatsoever. or river. or access to it. Nothing.
Rio de La Plata doesn't count?

BTW I think you will find BA heat much more manageable once you get an AC. In a large city like BA with a strong heat island, AC is a must to be able to sleep comfortably at night.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Rio de La Plata doesn't count?

No, cause like i said, the city is built giving its back to the river. Theres NO ACCESS to the river, we have no coastal path, the river is highly polluted and away and imposible to access. We dont have like a path when we can walk and see the river, thats not there. Its like it wasnt there.

This is so completely different than saying "it haves an ocean". Imagine this hot city with an ocean??? I would be on the beach ALL SUMMER and it will be a million times better!!! More than 5 months a year will be hot enough to get into the ocean!!!

But thats not the case. I kknow the maps can confuse some people. Believe me i know many tourists that came here and said "where are the beaches??" lol.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:43 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,992,989 times
Big cities don't seem to be a good place for many sorts of weather enthusiasts. The urban heat island and the asphalt make the heat and humidity so much more oppressive, and then the urban heat island rears its ugly head in winter, preventing cold nights from occurring. Plus the snow tends to become brownish more from the increased exhaust, it tends to be dirtier as well, and the urban landscape is such that big snowfields and landscapes cannot be enjoyed. The fun of building a snow fort or snowman is really dampened when there's just about 10 feet of space in-between buildings and fences to do anything with. There's also the problem of cars and people melting the snow and making it slushy, icy, and useless.

Urban areas can be fun, especially during blizzards, and the coldest big cities like Yakutsk don't have much of a slush problem, but rural areas offer a much superior environment to enjoy summer weather and snow in my view. Farmers in Iowa and Alberta can do a lot more with their snow than Brooklynites can.

To see my thoughts on the title's subject just see my posts in this thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,915,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Big cities don't seem to be a good place for many sorts of weather enthusiasts. The urban heat island and the asphalt make the heat and humidity so much more oppressive, and then the urban heat island rears its ugly head in winter, preventing cold nights from occurring. Plus the snow tends to become brownish more from the increased exhaust, it tends to be dirtier as well, and the urban landscape is such that big snowfields and landscapes cannot be enjoyed. The fun of building a snow fort or snowman is really dampened when there's just about 10 feet of space in-between buildings and fences to do anything with. There's also the problem of cars and people melting the snow and making it slushy, icy, and useless.

Urban areas can be fun, especially during blizzards, and the coldest big cities like Yakutsk don't have much of a slush problem, but rural areas offer a much superior environment to enjoy summer weather and snow in my view. Farmers in Iowa and Alberta can do a lot more with their snow than Brooklynites can.

To see my thoughts on the title's subject just see my posts in this thread.

Very good point about the winter landscape in the city. I hate the brown dirty snow. One year we left Philly in early February and went for a ski trip to Killington in VT. We rented a nice lodge with a hot tub. We left Philly with dead trees and no snow at all and arrived to a really beautiful snow covered mountain landscape in Killington. We would ski all day and then hang in the hot tub with steam rising and ice and snow surrounding us. Was really cool and I loved that. I do enjoy winter when I'm on ski trips.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,992,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Very good point about the winter landscape in the city. I hate the brown dirty snow. One year we left Philly in early February and went for a ski trip to Killington in VT. We rented a nice lodge with a hot tub. We left Philly with dead trees and no snow at all and arrived to a really beautiful snow covered mountain landscape in Killington. We would ski all day and then hang in the hot tub with steam rising and ice and snow surrounding us. Was really cool and I loved that. I do enjoy winter when I'm on ski trips.
I strongly prefer NYC after a blizzard than any other time of year there, but winter is more enjoyable and pure when one is in a rural or smaller-town environment.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,685,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
No, cause like i said, the city is built giving its back to the river. Theres NO ACCESS to the river, we have no coastal path, the river is highly polluted and away and imposible to access. We dont have like a path when we can walk and see the river, thats not there. Its like it wasnt there.

This is so completely different than saying "it haves an ocean". Imagine this hot city with an ocean??? I would be on the beach ALL SUMMER and it will be a million times better!!! More than 5 months a year will be hot enough to get into the ocean!!!

But thats not the case. I kknow the maps can confuse some people. Believe me i know many tourists that came here and said "where are the beaches??" lol.
I don't see how that's possible when I look on Google Earth, I see boats parked in the water in certain places on the Rio de la Plata. If there truly was no access.. how do these people get to their boats? LOL

Check out
34°32'20S 58°27'10W as an example on Google Earth

Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM

yeah, well, only in the port. But theres no path for people to walk, i mean.
Its not like the people go and walk in the port. I dont even know how to access there. Probably only the boat people can acess there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather