Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Our avg high in July is 87.1F. If 88F were considered "hot", then just about every single day in July would be forecast as "hot". That is not the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Here was a forecast from July on our local tv. Notice when "hot" is used vs "warm".

NBC10 Evening Weather: July 14, 2012 - Bing Videos
I couldn't care less about the opinion of anyone living there or anywhere else, much less any newscasters. Do you seriously think I'm going to change my mind because someone else says otherwise? If that was so we wouldn't be having this argument now, would we? "Hot" in a forecast should only be used when it's unusually hot, since putting an additional descriptor of "hot" in a forecast for every single day would be rather redundant. It would be more proper to leave it without comment, similarly to NWS forecasts.

Notice that in places like Fairbanks, Alaska they don't say it's "cool" when a high of 0F is forecast in January. 0F is undeniably cold but it's ordinary cold in that location, thus it should be without comment in forecasts for that location. It seems that cold is treated better in this regard than heat, which is a reflection of media bias which I have outlined in the past. In the cold city example, they might say it's "cold" if it's a high of -10F or -20F, but they don't pretend that 0F isn't cold just because it's typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,526,383 times
here in summer the people in the news says its gonna be "hot" when temp is above 33 or 34c, and only "warm" when its between 28c and 32c. Yeah, right, as if 31c was warm, come on! They are just delusional. I wont start thinking 30c is not hot cause they say so, as i dont think 7c its "freezing" when they say that in winter. In general they speak compared to what that city is used to and not to objective reality. I dont know, maybe in Miami if one day high is 18c, news people will say its "very cold". That doesnt mean that 18c is very cold, lol, just that Miami gets hotter all the time.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
BROOKINGS 2 SE, OREGON - Climate Summary

Definitely Brookings. They can be 80F in January, which is very odd for a coastal location. Its southerly facing geography is one of the factors.

The record high is 108F in July.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

Definitely Brookings. They can be 80F in January, which is very odd for a coastal location. Its southerly facing geography is one of the factors.

Wow that is surprising... I always imagined Brookings to have a rather cool climate particularly in summer... How often does Brookings get 100F temperatures?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post

It looks like a climate from the American South that's been heavily modified. The records are kind of interesting.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times
Brookings Oregon Climate: Weather data 1961-1990

According to that, not very often. Summers are pretty foggy there though. This month has had a lot of foggy days with highs in the 50s.

Also that link says the record high is 103F in September while wikipedia says 108F in July.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Wow, that's surprising when comparing with more southerly Eureka. Though Brooking's airport (assuming that's where the weather station is located) is about 1 mile inland, while Eureka's isn't.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:39 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Sydney and Melbourne.

Looking at their summer average highs you'd be like, "aw, look how sweet their summers are". But in reality they can be very hot and unforgiving. Melbourne is the worst offender, btw.

Not to mention, whilst Sydney gets 1200mm of annual rain people would think "oh, that's wet - so I'm guessing it rains there every week?", it actually doesn't. Our rainfall is variable - one month it's dry and the next it's wet. In our wet months we'd have 3-4 heavy rain events, thus raising the month's rainfall bar to over 100mm. Every other day is mostly dry.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:17 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
January/February wet season in Jakarta. Average skewed by the sunny days. When average says 30/24C for January, it's a mix of 32-34C sunny days and cooler rainy days with high often fails to reach 27C/80F.
Also, Mecca winter night. It actually feels no/barely warmer than Madinah in the wind (January/winter). 17C feels like 13 or 14 C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I think where I am can be misleading. It says the average summer temp is something like upper 80's.. but they never factor in heat index , which we have every summer and so we are frequently feeling above 105 most summers with 80% humidity. I find it misleading to think we are just a cool 88 all summer. I mean I wouldn't NOT factor in windchill when sending my kid outside to play. There's a big difference dressing my kid for 38 degrees no windchill vs 38 degrees with a wind chill that makes it feel like 15 degrees.
Nowhere in FL averages 88F with 80% humidity? When its 88F with 80% dewpoint would be like 81F which is rare/outlier let alone being the average

Last edited by divisionbyzero0; 05-17-2016 at 04:45 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Lima's humidity really adds onto the warmth, so the summers are a lot warmer than it looks on the Wiki page. Nights seem cold in the stats but in reality the nights are really mild and comfortable

Upstate NY has very variable weather that is not always reflected in the stats. You could have a May where the weather is in the 70s and 80s, or you could have a May where the thermometer struggles past 50-55f for weeks on end. You could have a February with some 40s and 50s mixed in, or you could have a February with average temperatures like in Murmansk or Saskatoon. You never know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather