Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Norilsk or Wrangel Island
Norilsk 16 69.57%
Wrangel Island 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:01 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Both have terrible climates, while Norilsk is one of the most toxic cities in the world and average life expectancy there is 40 years... If I had to pick the place to visit, it would be the Wrangel Island and never Norilsk.
wow, thanks for posting this. I went ahead and searched myself, and im shocked by this place. The average life expectance there is 48 years and the place is so depressing it seem out of a distopic futuristic reality, like 1984....but worst!!!
And poor the people that lives there!

It actually makes you appreciate the life you have . I was born and live 20 years of my life in a beautiful city in a lovely houses neighbourhood 10 blocks from the ocean. I could go to see the sunset to the beautiful coast-shore every afternoon if i wanted. My neighbourhood was full of trees of every colours and was quiet and i could hear birds sing every day and i had a tree of a million colours just outside the window of my room and i could see it every morning. I dont know, all ive seen 20 years of my life was this kind of beauty in my surroundings (plus, you never really see poor people or slums in mar del plata like you see in big cities, you actually dont see it). Then, i moved to bigger cities and finally to the BIG one, and, oh well, things are different: not an ocean, not the beautiful coastal path, you realize theres poorness in some areas, not nearly as many trees, and finding a neighbourhood like most in mar del plata (quiet, houses, a lot of vegetation, not so many cars in the streets) its impossible. Another style of life. Its still very beautiful in its own way and i cant complain a bit, but just thinking that there are entire cities like this Norilsk place in where you have to soak up that contaminated air every second and live like almost a prisioner and you are really old at 30, and etc, makes me realize how lucky a lot of us are to live where we do or like we do. I mean, when im here i complain about the crowded buses, the strikes, the "polluted" air, the nosiy cars, etc, but this is nothing compared to Norilsk and the life expentacy where i live is 80, almost double as norilsk!. I dont know, knowing this site exist gives you a little perspective i guess?.
Probably this rant is outta place but oh well .

I kinda feel bad for the folks in Norilsk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Reading about norilsk made me google thing about this place and other places of Siberia and i ended up finding this awesome set of pictures in skyscrapercity: Siberia from North to East. Part 8 : Vladivostok - SkyscraperCity ! Its a french guy who did a trip one summer through siberia and took tons of photos of a lot of cities/places around, including norilsk! So interesting! Some places have this abadoned/depressing feeling (like norilsk) and some are much more beautiful, but overall its very fascinating, or so i think, so i post the link here in case anyone else wants to see more about this remote place of the earth .

Old 09-12-2012, 04:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
^^^ Ah, skyscraper city is a gold mine for city pictures. Thanks for the link, very interesting

Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Lol I remember that thread. If anyone's interested, he also made the Transsiberian journey the previous summer:
From Moscow to Beijing by train. Last part : Welcome to China ! - SkyscraperCity

Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Wow, very interesting pics. These places are absolute hellholes. Thank you communism

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Reading about norilsk made me google thing about this place and other places of Siberia and i ended up finding this awesome set of pictures in skyscrapercity: Siberia from North to East. Part 8 : Vladivostok - SkyscraperCity ! Its a french guy who did a trip one summer through siberia and took tons of photos of a lot of cities/places around, including norilsk! So interesting! Some places have this abadoned/depressing feeling (like norilsk) and some are much more beautiful, but overall its very fascinating, or so i think, so i post the link here in case anyone else wants to see more about this remote place of the earth .
Very interesting. Russia in general is pretty ugly, largely due to the abundance of hideous Soviet apartment blocks. But this sort of thing is pretty:

Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM

647 posts, read 796,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
wow, thanks for posting this. I went ahead and searched myself, and im shocked by this place.
This city was built on the bones of GULAG prisoners. People, arrested on false charges and without trial, were tortured, convicted and sentenced to a decade or more of hard labor in the camps. This hell was inaugurated in 1935, when a thousand prisoners, loaded on barges, were shipped up the Yenisey to Dudinka to build the port and the railroad to what would be Norilsk. While shipments of prisoners continued, population remained constant for at least a year. The Norilsk skyline – each year, the steel works pump two million tonnes of harmful substances into the atmosphere. The residents of Norilsk are regularly complain of breathing difficulties caused by toxic smell in the air. Among the city's population increased considerably figures for allergies, asthma, congenital abnormalities of the cardiovascular system, respiratory system and digestive system, blood disorders, mental disorders, including children. According to independent reports, the cancer develops in people of Norilsk in 2 times more than the average in Russia.
I was born and grew up in an ordinary city in Russia, but I didn't know before that in Russia still exist the cities with such horrendous conditions, but apart from Norilsk, there are Magnitogorsk, Bratsk, Nizhny Tagil, etc.
I've never been there, but I watched a movie about Norilsk on my TV and I was shocked, this is a place of death.
North winter (Norilsk, Russia) - YouTube

Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
I speak for myself when I can honestly say I'd rather live in a swamp in a rubber dinghy than in one of those ugly dark claustrophobic rabbit hutches in that monochrome sh!thole with its deathly -30 degree temperatures. In fact no, I'd rather inject lethal doses of arsenic into my major organs.

Apparently a lot of these losers living in this hell hole are addicted to home-made drugs which cause all their limbs to turn gangrenous and fall off, I guess that's their way of coping with life there, except they become limb-less wonders and last only 12 months after getting hooked. What a lovely place.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Apparently a lot of these losers living in this hell hole are addicted to home-made drugs which cause all their limbs to turn gangrenous and fall off, I guess that's their way of coping with life there, except they become limb-less wonders and last only 12 months after getting hooked. What a lovely place.
I think it's called Crocodile or something. I guess no ammount of vodka is enough to numb the pain of existence in this place...

Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM

559 posts, read 747,819 times
Both horrendous climates, but gotta go with Wrangel Island for warmer winters, even if it means sacrificing summer. I'd be frozen ice solid the second I entered Norilsk in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather