Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:47 PM

5,587 posts, read 10,584,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Wow that's something we would like to see more often, 30-40 cm! Last time here was in March 1946, so you Londoners are luckier.
Btw now I understand more your love for cold/snow, you were kinda predisposed.
Lol I grew up in the Yorkshire countryside (which is where I was referring to) - I am not, and never will be a proper Londoner. Here we only got 8cm which is nothing special at all (the last 30+ cm snow depth was in 1963), but the high of -4C we had in the same cold spell has not been equalled since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,960,905 times
I pity the locations that have snowless stretches that go on for years. If I were in that situation I wouldn't be able to stand it. I will say, however, that among such places, the places that experience big totals when it does snow (like 1 foot and up) are vastly superior to the places that just get a fraction of an inch. Although I don't come from a "warm climate" (thank goodness), I'll add in my story for perspective. My first memory of a snowfall comes from when I was 2 years old, but my first snow was actually at birth (I was born in a winter storm) .

Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,799,698 times
First time I saw snow was just before middle school in Pennsylvania, when I moved here from Puerto Rico. Since then, I've lost my tropical heat and sunshine tolerance.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
I really wish I grew up in a place that never snowed. I guess that is one terrible consequence if being born in and growing up in Canada IMO

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I really wish I grew up in a place that never snowed. I guess that is one terrible consequence if being born in and growing up in Canada IMO
Heh, trust me, snowless winters are nothing to brag about. I never brag I'm from the Caribbean, that place is full of squalor.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:09 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,591,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Heh, trust me, snowless winters are nothing to brag about. I never brag I'm from the Caribbean, that place is full of squalor.
The Caribbean is certainly not like Africa though... There are many countries/territories in the Caribbean that seem to be quote well off like Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman islands, aruba, British virgin islands to name a few. Puerto Rico has a per capita income close to Spain and Portugal which I don't consider poor countries.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM

3,190 posts, read 4,563,084 times
The first time I saw falling snow was when I was 21 in 2008 in Berlin, but it didn't stick to the ground. My visit to Quebec last December was the first time I actually saw an accumulation of snow.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 PM

21,401 posts, read 8,614,712 times
I was raised in California where you have to drive to the mountains to see snow. I didn't see snow falling for the first time until I was 13 years old. A very rare snowstorm hit the San Francisco Bay Area overnight. I remember being awakened by the phone ringing at the crack of dawn one Sunday morning and hearing my stepmother call out, "Snow!" I leaped out of bed and ran to my bedroom window. The morning sky was a strange shade of flat leaden gray that I had never seen before, and tiny white snowflakes were drifting down. It looked like slow motion to me as I had only ever seen rain fall. I was fascinated by this magical spectacle, which as others have said, felt like being in a movie.

The snow only lasted for an hour or so and then stopped. When the sun came out later, the light frosting of snowfall on everyone's lawns melted fast. But in the meantime every kid in the neighborhood was out there playing and trying to make little snowmen. My best friend told me she was disappointed that her parents made her go to church instead, and she missed out on all the fun.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The Caribbean is certainly not like Africa though... There are many countries/territories in the Caribbean that seem to be quote well off like Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman islands, aruba, British virgin islands to name a few. Puerto Rico has a per capita income close to Spain and Portugal which I don't consider poor countries.
Sent you a DM so we wouldn't veer the topic off the cliff

Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,913,543 times
I was 26 the first time I saw any snow at all and that same year I saw the leaves change for the first time. So around 2007 .When I was a child I begged my parents to take me to see snow , every year. They never would so when I got married and my husband was from new England he took me up one year and we got to see it. We live just about as far south as you can get on the west coast of Fl so to even be in the next state to have a chance at seeing leaves and snow it would be a 7 1/2 hour drive.

Now that I have a daughter I vowed she will grow up with seasons. To this day I have never ridden on a sled and I feel like I really missed out on snowball fights and jumping in leaves. We are moving back to NE in May , she'll be 3 1/2 then and I hope shell love it.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 09-14-2012 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather