Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Of course, but that doesn't mean you can't play sports when the weather is 'freezing'. Wear some gloves, keep on moving, and you'll feel warm enough. This is coming from a person who used to play high school football (soccer to you) in hail/snow and muddy wet conditions and I'm still here without hypothermia. The worst thing would be playing football on a hot day with no wind and high humidity. I ran plenty of times in such weather and it is vile and unpleasant and zaps the energy out of you (but I still did it anyway ).
American football players have collapsed and died in the heat. Much less likely to happen during the colder part of the season. I imagine it's a similar case with soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
20°C is good for playing many sports, but terrible if your favorite sports happen to be snowboarding, hockey, or skiing, amongst others. Last I checked, winter sports are not dying out with age and the Winter Olympics are quite popular. So, cold weather need not be an inhibiting factor to have fun
Hey skiing is more fun than a bed full of naked models, but considering how expensive it is, and how often you go. Horses for courses, though, I'd prefer to live in a place with mild winters. Winter sports are fun but they aren't a trade off for severe conditions which make going out uncomfortable. I'd rather not fear death if caught out in the cold.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:34 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,380,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Hey skiing is more fun than a bed full of naked models, but considering how expensive it is, and how often you go. .
Huh? No way.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 AM

497 posts, read 980,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
You can do anything you want except any activity that involves cold weather or snow .
Quote:
20°C is good for playing many sports, but terrible if your favorite sports happen to be snowboarding, hockey, or skiing, amongst others. Last I checked, winter sports are not dying out with age and the Winter Olympics are quite popular. So, cold weather need not be an inhibiting factor to have fun
That's what mountains are for

Even in Los Angeles they still have places like Mt Baldy. Maybe it's not the most ideal for a snow lover, but it's still available to them.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
Some of us like snow closer to sea level however.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,380,928 times
I LOVE snow.

Spoiler
When it stays up in the damn clouds higher than 10,000ft up.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 AM

497 posts, read 980,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Some of us like snow closer to sea level however.
I'd rather have subtropical trees, sidewalks that I won't slip on and a rust-free car that doesn't have to drive on salted roads.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You are very lucky to have grown up there.. what a fabulous place to live! I can only dream of such awesomeness
Sames, although i'd think that you'd get a bit tired of the constant hot weather year round. Personally I need some snow and I could not stick no variability in weather. Where I live we have just about enough variability to keep my sanity.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I'd rather have subtropical trees, sidewalks that I won't slip on and a rust-free car that doesn't have to drive on salted roads.
They don't always use salt not when its below -6c. The winter of 2010 was cold for ages and the cars didn't get that much salt on them. But the milder winters had alot of salt on the cars as the salters had to keep reapplying it to the road because it kept washing away.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
That's what mountains are for

Even in Los Angeles they still have places like Mt Baldy. Maybe it's not the most ideal for a snow lover, but it's still available to them.
Visiting a climate that has winter and living in a climate that has winter are two different experiences, with the latter being quite superior if you want four seasons and variety. If a person wants a four-season climate (for themselves or their children), it begs the question of why he wouldn't just go live in one instead of taking a half-baked solution like living in coastal California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Relative schmelative...anyone will agree that 20C/68F weather is better for playing sports than freezing weather where you fingers are numb to the bone.
I and many others would be overheated and sweated at 20C under heavy exertion (10-15C is better for non-overheating).

Secondly, I'd say that if you're comfortable playing sports at 20C than of course that would be superior to being numb to the bone at 0C. However, I and most people who play strenuous sports at 0C (and temperatures far colder) are actually comfortable, and not numb to the bone. Freezing weather also completely negates the overheating problem, due to people being able to easily adjust a marvelous piece of technology called warm clothing.

Quote:
And here in the US, with many many people playing outdoor ice hockey, they don't get hypothermia. I think Trimac is looking at winter through Australian lenses, not that I blame him since Australia lacks proper winters that are cold enough to do away with the drizzle crap
I agree with that. American Football players seem to have an easier time in cold weather than hot weather. Stories pop up all the time of heat-stressed and heat-stroked football players but hypothermia is very rare to nonexistent due to the proper clothing they wear in the cold. Plus the thick nature of their normal outfits makes the sport (and quite a few other sports) more suited to cold weather than a mild weather sport like basketball or soccer, or a warm-to-hot weather sport like swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather