Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what do you think?
keep it as is 16 16.16%
change to year round daylight time 39 39.39%
change to round standard time 23 23.23%
change to year round compromise time (half hour between the two) 6 6.06%
I don't care but I do just wish we could stick to one of them 11 11.11%
I really don't care either way 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,831,822 times

Advertisements

People always bring this up.

But in all honesty, it won't matter, even if we don't turn the clocks back, where I live it will still get dark by 5pm. What use is an extra hour? Seriously, its of no benefit, commuters will still not get home by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,808,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You don't know what true darkness is.
No, I have never once in my life seen true darkness. Seattle does have solar mirrors in orbit to prevent that happening here, after all.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Give over.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:40 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
With year round DST the latest sunrise of the year here would be just before 9am, and that would be just fine with me.
How about everyone else? Perhaps not everyone wants morning darkness and evening daylight. Perhaps some people like to commute to work or walk to school when it's daylight. This is a good reason for centering the clocks on noon, so that we actually have a normal daylight regime without special interests trying to impose their lifestyle choices on everyone else. Standard time today! Standard time tomorrow! Standard time forever!

*Excuse the special interest and political references. Perhaps I've sat up too many nights looking at debates lately. Regardless, I think we're approaching the natural end of this thread, where all the points have been heard and we're just rehashing old news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
No, I have never once in my life seen true darkness. Seattle does have solar mirrors in orbit to prevent that happening here, after all.
Funniest thing I've heard all day.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
How about everyone else? Perhaps not everyone wants morning darkness and evening daylight. Perhaps some people like to commute to work or walk to school when it's daylight.
But this thread is all about how YOU as an individual feel about DST, not about how everyone else and their mom feels about it. I personally would find it great to be on year round DST. (BTW, the super early sunrises without it in summer wouldn't bother you? I think they are more than early enough as it is in summer! Of course I would love to live in Alaska for a year or two, longer if I liked it enough, and that (almost perpetual daylight, with some twilight in summer) would be a sacrifice I would be willing to make for the great land of Alaska!)

Edit to add: I could just as easily say that your pushing of year round standard time is imposing your own interest onto everyone else too.

Quote:
Funniest thing I've heard all day.
Glad I could make you laugh.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Give over.
NO! They're ours, and you can't have them!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,981,200 times
I would submit that standard time is a far more neutral option than manipulating the clocks to serve your interests. Leaving it at one time year-round, where 12 o'clock corresponds to noon, is the neutral option that doesn't unduly serve any special interests. Now, if I were to suggest that we all shift our clocks 1 hour earlier than standard time for part of the year, then that would be imposing my own interests, but I do not suggest that since I am not imposing my own views. The only way I have ever imposed anything in this debate is resisting your imposition. Perhaps you are not aware of how timekeeping and time zones are supposed to work or the history of DST, but DST is nothing more than a manipulation of the previous standard time system to serve special interests like yourself. If we returned to standard time, perhaps you could modify your own schedule and leave the rest of us alone.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 PM

Clocks back tonight. Sitting up an extra hour. Not making that mistake again.

Last time I woke up super early!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I would submit that standard time is a far more neutral option than manipulating the clocks to serve your interests. Leaving it at one time year-round, where 12 o'clock corresponds to noon, is the neutral option that doesn't unduly serve any special interests. Now, if I were to suggest that we all shift our clocks 1 hour earlier than standard time for part of the year, then that would be imposing my own interests, but I do not suggest that since I am not imposing my own views. The only way I have ever imposed anything in this debate is resisting your imposition. Perhaps you are not aware of how timekeeping and time zones are supposed to work or the history of DST, but DST is nothing more than a manipulation of the previous standard time system to serve special interests like yourself. If we returned to standard time, perhaps you could modify your own schedule and leave the rest of us alone.
What does any of that really matter this day in age, when over half the year is DST anyway. Why not just go the extra step to make it year round? You like standard time, I like daylight time, historical significance of either aside. I could just as easily tell you to modify your schedule. See what I mean? There's really no sense in trying to argue that one of us is right and the other isn't, it just comes down to personal preference.

And I'm not imposing anything. All I'm doing is saying that I prefer daylight time, and that given a choice that is what I would vote for. Just as you are saying that you prefer standard time, and that given a choice that is what you would vote for. (Unless you are speaking of cases in which I provided examples of how the thought of daylight time during the winter months being dangerous is faulty, in which case I was defending my side of the debate, not imposing).

Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Because dst is unnatural and a waste of time.

We are on standard time and it's very weird. 9am here and 7am in st johns. I'd say if we were to have this all year traders would benefit massively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather