Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The average first freeze for NYC is roughly around November 20th, maybe slightly later depending on the station.

Wow, NYC is that late for a first frost. That must be all urban heat island. That sure looks like an anomaly compared to the rest of the Northeast. Our avg date of first 32F temp is around 6 November. I'm sure the burbs of NYC are before that time. Most rural places around here are last week of October. Even Cape May NJ on the coast is 7 November. Virginia Beach, VA avg date of first frost is November 23rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM

647 posts, read 797,129 times
Winter is pretty unpredictable time here. First freeze is usually in late October and first snow in late November - early December, but in 2010 first snow fell only December 31, also January 2007 was without freeze almost all month.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What altitude does snow lie at for the whole winter there? How far from you are the closest areas with all winter snow?
Closest sea level snow is Norway at 500 miles or Iceland at 650 miles. So not that far. For permanent mountain snow it depeds on the winter but ben Nevis is guarnteed permanent snow. Which is around 130 miles away. There is a 700 mountain 25 miles away and it has snow on it quite slot of the winter. When it is raining here at 5c it is often snowing and lying there. And our average high is 5.5c. I am convinced that it is the sea temperatures that stop us in the bi from getting loads of snow because we are quite frequently on the marginal side.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Nevis doesn't have snow all-year round. The difference between snow at the top of Ben Nevis and rain at sea level is huge too.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
He said what is the altitude of snow lying all winter and I said around 700m. Ben Nevis is 1300 and actually there are snow patches that last all year up there, it is said that if it was 100-209m higher there would be permanent snow.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/734...s/page__st__60

as you see there a few patches.,

Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow, NYC is that late for a first frost. That must be all urban heat island. That sure looks like an anomaly compared to the rest of the Northeast. Our avg date of first 32F temp is around 6 November. I'm sure the burbs of NYC are before that time. Most rural places around here are last week of October. Even Cape May NJ on the coast is 7 November. Virginia Beach, VA avg date of first frost is November 23rd.
It is crazy. It may not be common, but there could be nights along the southeast coast (South Carolina/Georgia) nearly as cold, if not, colder than NYC. It must be the heat island.

NYC suburbs generally get their first freeze sometime in mid to late October.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
When would you say is a good start date for winter in your town? Do you feel like November is still a fall month? Or would it more aptly be a winter month? Nov 1st? Nov 15th? Dec 1st? Dec 21st? What start date do you like for winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Here in the coastal areas of the Tri-State area (NYC/Long Island/Connecticut/coastal New Jersey) I think real winter sets in on December 1st most of the time. .
Here on coastal CT Winter Never starts.

No seriously. We never have a winter here, just some winter "days" in between a long Autumn season.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Winter in Australia means a kind if weather where generally nobody wants air conditioning inside and most people try to get or stay warm, most of the day.

This might be different in Victoria as my experiences are from western Australia, Queensland and new south Wales.

In Townsville about 1 in 5 days felt lik
e this chilly in June, relative to what
we we're used to

Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Like in the UK our seasons start on the 1st of the month, in the case of winter it is 1st June.

I think the American system of defining seasons astronomically is more appropriate for Perth's climate as we don't usually get our coldest/warmest weather until after each respective solstice.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here on coastal CT Winter Never starts.

No seriously. We never have a winter here, just some winter "days" in between a long Autumn season.
I agree, for a winter fan on the East Coast...once you get as far south as coastal Connecticut/Long Island, NY...winter can be quite fleeting. Once you get to this area and points south along the Atlantic coast monthly mean temps are near freezing or above in the coldest months, Still, there are some good years when several snowstorms and lighter snow events can make it feel quite "winter like", esp for a WWF like me.

I saw this map online a few years ago , it shows the the average number of days with snow cover in the USA. I thought it showed well how fast the snow gradient increases/decrease as you move north/south along the East Coast:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather