Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM

83,285 posts, read 74,525,174 times

Advertisements

Yes folks, its Spring in Brazil.

A quote from someone.

“My wife’s family lives in Rio de Janeiro,” says reader Kevin Koffenberger. “They report that the windchill temperature is 9 degrees celsius (48.2 F) today. No one in Rio has central heating or fireplaces, and its supposed to be spring there!”

Extreme Storm Takes Brazil From 108°F(42.1C) to -30° wind chill and Snow!

Extreme Storm Takes Brazil From 108 to -30 and Snow! - The WeatherMatrix Blog - AccuWeather.com

300,000 lightning strikes in four days in Rio Grande do Sul, which reported two million without power. Near the city of Camaquã, nearly a foot (300 mm) of rain was estimated, collapsing a bridge. Huge hailstones punched holes in roofs, high winds (estimated near 100 mph) knocked down brick walls and radio antennas. Thousands of homes were damaged in southern Brazil as well as neighboring Argentina and Paraguay (where five people were killed). On the Uruguay coast, streets filled with sand and sea foam as winds gusted to 107 mph (172 km/hr).

Incredibly, less than 10 days later, a low pressure system has pulled up extreme cold from Antarctica and reports and photos of snow and temperatures below freezing (with wind chills as low as -30 C!) started pouring in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:11 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,532,695 times
Quote:
“They report that the windchill temperature is 9 degrees celsius (48.2 F) today. No one in Rio has central heating or fireplaces, and its supposed to be spring there!”
Eh, not that impressive for, presumably, early morning hours. Now if that were during the day then that would be more impressive. The temperature wouldn't be too far from that wind chill.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Eh, not that impressive for, presumably, early morning hours. Now if that were during the day then that would be more impressive. The temperature wouldn't be too far from that wind chill.
Well "record" means something that's never happened before since record keeping began. So something had to be impressive. lol

I think whats more impressive to me was the fact that it was EXTREME HOT one day and Extremely cold 10 days later.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,961,695 times
An interesting event to be sure.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM

775 posts, read 1,162,971 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well "record" means something that's never happened before since record keeping began. So something had to be impressive. lol

I think whats more impressive to me was the fact that it was EXTREME HOT one day and Extremely cold 10 days later.

It's worth remembering the context and location - this would be the equivalent of Florida seeing snow at the end of March. Even more so for Rio, which is actually a tropical location (roughly the Florida Keys...). Although there is no mention of snow for Rio itself (located in a more northerly hence warmer state), 9C is 48F - a rather chilly day for the tropics in the Spring!

I am however, very sceptical of the alleged -30C windchill - I would like to see the actual temperature and corresponding wind speed recorded - *wind chill* tends to be sexed up by the media, as I'm sure you're all aware.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,961,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
I am however, very sceptical of the alleged -30C windchill - I would like to see the actual temperature and corresponding wind speed recorded - *wind chill* tends to be sexed up by the media, as I'm sure you're all aware.
The -30C wind chill might have occurred at one of their coldest high-altitude spots. If there was a 55 mph wind speed (about where wind chill effect maxes out), a -30C wind chill could correspond to a -13C air temperature. While it would be crazy for any altitude in Brazil, it shouldn't be discounted entirely. Of course, it could also be media exaggeration.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
never knew it can snow in Brazil. I learn something new each day.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 AM

The Southern Ocean sea surface temps are close to a thirty year low!

The media must be on vacation.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM

20,683 posts, read 23,784,939 times
Quote:
Its that temperature here right now. I really do feel for people who think that, that temperature is dangerous cold.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM

160 posts, read 395,957 times
To be fair, the air temperature in Rio is too warm for the wind chill calculation to be applicable. Pretty crazy storm either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather