Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate
A 3 13.64%
B 3 13.64%
C 8 36.36%
D 7 31.82%
E 1 4.55%
F 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times

Advertisements

This is a new climate I've created which is originally based on Atlanta's climate, though modified beyond all recognition. This climate, belonging to a fictional city named Lucenum, also represents my personal version of what a "mild and sunny climate" looks like.

Lucenum has generally mild, sunny, and dry winters. Daytime temperatures are balmy (usually around 50F) and nights are typically below freezing. Swings during winter are relatively gentle. Warmups typically feature highs in the 60's, and on rare occasions above 70F. Cold snaps typically come in the form of especially intense radiational cooling nights - the coldest nights of the winter are typically around 10F, with temperatures around 0F seen on rare occasions. When this occurs the daytime temperatures are typically closer to normal than the lows (such as a 10/40F day), and this is how Lucenum gets its primary form of winter chill. Wintertime precipitation is sparse but significant, and is rather evenly divided between rain and snow. A typical winter month features about a quarter of an inch of rain, which typically comes from a few rainy days.

Each winter month also usually features a small amount of snowfall, adding up to around 5 inches per season, though this total can vary quite a bit. Each month's snow typically comes from a single storm that drops an inch or two of snow at night. Daytime snow does occasionally occur, but is typically wetter snow that produces smaller accumulations. Powdery snow is just as typical as wet snow in nighttime storms, since nighttime temperatures during a snowstorm can be as low as 20F. Daytime snows produce the coldest high temperatures in Lucenum, which hover just above freezing. High temperatures below freezing are rare. These warm high temperatures combined with strong and abundant sunshine means that any accumulation of snow here is short-lived. Snow lasting more than a few days is an exceptional occurrence. Furthermore, a typical snowfall will have melted into nothing more than patches in the shade by the following evening.

Snow outside of the winter months is very rare, with the exception of trace amounts that sometimes fall in November or March.

Summer is the other major season here, and is mild, sunny, but also wet. High temperatures are usually in the 60's during summertime, with lows around 50F. For foliage on the trees, Spring usually arrives in April, but there is no real transition to Summer here (daily means are below 60F in every month), so the progress of Spring once it begins is quite slow and in many respects doesn't really end until Autumn arrives at the end of October. Temperatures during summer are more stable than in winter, typically staying close to average, but summer is also prone to the same kind of warmups and cooldowns that characterize winter. The coldest nights of the summer are usually around 40F and the hottest days are around 80F. On rare occasions heat waves have sent temperatures as high as 91F, and cold snaps have produced ground frost.

Against this backdrop of mild temperatures in summer, there is usually persistent scattered showers and occasionally thunderstorms, which are sort of a cooler/weaker version of the pop-up thunderstorm activity seen in the tropics. In-between showers it's usually sunny, which accounts for the high sunshine totals. Rainfall amounts are typically not more than a quarter of an inch, but many days of light showers added up means that totals of 4-5 inches per month are typical for June, July, and August.

Dew points typically are 45-60F during the summer months and 10-30F during the drier winter months. This influx of dry air vs. humid air as well as the rainfall pattern produce a monsoonal climate for Lucenum.

Its Koeppen classification is Cwb, which is a dry-winter subtropical highland climate. Trewartha classifies this as a Do climate, which corresponds to the oceanic or highland type (highland type would have a classification of HDo). The Holdridge Life Zone for Lucenum is a cool temperate moist forest.

As for myself, I give this climate a C. It's mild year-round, so it has nice summers but pretty much no winter. The excessive sunshine is a minus, but the plus of the record highs (all-time high of 91F) evens that out.

The story of this climate is more interesting than most, because it was created when I was daydreaming while sitting in a grocery store parking lot (weird, I know, but it happens) about subtropical climates and highland climates. I thought that it would be neat to take Atlanta's climate, which is a distinct variety of subtropical climate, and turn "Hotlanta" into "Mildlanta", thus making it more similar to Tibet and possibly more appealing to wannabe Sun Belters. The winters are inspired by the weather that the real-life Atlanta experienced in December 2010, and I thought that sunny and dry weather would ameliorate the chilly nights for warm and mild weather fans, something like the effect that Denver's sunny/dry winters have in real-life. The radiational cooling nights that I added in add some chill to the air, and (rather paradoxically) the quick-melting snow enhances the mild winter feel.

For the sake of the plants, gardeners, as well having a change of pace, I thought that more summer rainfall coming in the form of showery rains would be a good extra feature. It came out to exactly 26 inches per year, which is a moderate precip figure. Sunshine hours came out to a blinding 3176 hours of sun per year, which is satisfactory to pretty much all sunshine fans. I decided to make the temperatures in summer mild and warm but still comfortable to me, so I arrived at 69/50F for the average. The end result was a ho-hum C-grade mild climate from my perspective. I'd like to know how the other people here rate it.

-------------------------------

Text Backup in case of link rot with the image. All temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit:

Month: High/Low, Record High, Record Low, Precipitation, Snowfall, Sun hours

Jan: 48/25, 75, -5, 0.47 in, 2.0 in, 257 hrs
Feb: 51/29, 78, -1, 0.41 in, 1.5 in, 254 hrs
Mar: 57/35, 83, 8, 0.36 in, 0.1 in, 306 hrs
Apr: 61/41, 85, 21, 1.36 in, 0.0 in, 271 hrs
May: 63/43, 86, 29, 3.09 in, 0.0 in, 284 hrs
Jun: 66/47, 91, 33, 4.12 in, 0.0 in, 275 hrs
Jul: 69/50, 90, 35, 4.88 in, 0.0 in, 281 hrs
Aug: 68/49, 88, 34, 4.01 in, 0.0 in, 282 hrs
Sep: 66/45, 87, 28, 3.05 in, 0.0 in, 253 hrs
Oct: 62/42, 83, 20, 2.36 in, 0.0 in, 240 hrs
Nov: 56/36, 79, 7, 1.44 in, 0.2 in, 228 hrs
Dec: 50/28, 73, -4, 0.45 in, 1.0 in, 245 hrs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM

504 posts, read 851,823 times
I very much like this climate. I rated it an A. While it's got snow that I'm not a fan of, it's a very small amount. Rain totals are fairly low/moderate, and it's nice and sunny. I like also that it never gets very hot and that the nights are nice and cool. Thunderstorms are a nice bonus.

Actually reminds me a lot of San Francisco's climate, but with cooler winters. Similar amounts of sun, rain and year round mild temperatures.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
C

Comfortable, but way too sunny.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
C for me. Im not usually a big fan of such high sun hours, but they would be a plus in such a climate. This climate doesn't appeal to me at all. I think it's because the summer is close to here, but colder and sunnier. I associate that mix with low summer dewpoints- which I find a tad depressing. Winter would be nice, although those rainfall totals would mean little skiing on any mountains in the region- probably none if it's modeled on Atlanta. Not such a great climate for gardening, I would think.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
D/e

Old 09-28-2012, 06:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
It's OK, would much prefer warmer summers, winters are fine temperature wise. Sunshine hours are very high in all months which is probably a bonus in this type of climate.

It lacks precipitation as well, especially snowfall, would like something to show for the generally meek temperatures.

Overall I rate it a C. One of those climates that barely satisfies most, but excites few.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:31 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
D+ the sunshine makes it have a plus. Winters quite chilly and summers lacklustre.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
B+. I like it a lot. If I can't get a snowy climate, a cool and sunny climate is the next best thing. Winters with a little snowfall here and there give it more variety than your typical Cwb.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:49 AM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
D-ish

Summer lows are okay, daytime highs, not so much. Winter is cold, but what really gets to me is the snow and those record lows - way too low. Not too keen on the wet/dry either, at least with places like Mexico City I can see how a dry winter with nice temps would be pleasant, but here the days are too cold for me to enjoy them on a daily basis.

Very good sunshine, but for me, I'm not really concerned about sunshine hours (anything in the 2000s is acceptable) so it doesn't really get extra points for that.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times
This might be the climate you and I will be grading in the most similar way, PM

As you might expect, temps are way too cool for me, in every season. However I intensely appreciate the abundant sunshine, which makes me rate it higher than a D (which is the grade I usually give to Moscow-type climates, with cold cloudy winters and bland summers).
I'm pretty sure I'd prefer spending a winter in Lucenum than in Nice, despite significantly lower temps, for that reason. 230+ hours of bright sunshine in every month would definitely give me something to look forward to every day. Winter daytime highs are not bad as well, considering how cold the lows are.

My main complaint is the total absence of real summer warmth (and real warmth whatsoever). Hence I cannot rate it much higher than a...

C-.

Very nice creation anyway OP. It was a pleasure rating this original climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather