Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a lot of excuses which is typical to hide the fact that temp departures were up to 30 degrees below normal in spots.

It's also comical that the same ones screaming Global Warming were showing the "U.S" only. Last I checked there were more parts of the "Globe" than just the U.S.

But my point is... Where are they now??? What is the point pushing the warm on the public and not mentioning whats happening now??

Here.... from NOAA themselves... I am not denying there are more record highs..I am asking "WHERE ARE THEY NOW?".. Why not show both sides? Unless they want us to believe one thing...

How many lows compared to highs last 30 days??? Can't be. Over 3000 record lows.

Over 3,200 Record Low Minimums and max past 30 days in the U.S vs 1,234 record Highs.

1,586 Record Lows past 7 days alone vs 169 Record highs.

Last edited by Cambium; 10-14-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
To all the people who pushed global warming on us when the U.S had a 3 day heat wave...Where are you now?

Is this what global warming looks like? Over 2000 new low temperature records set in October | Watts Up With That?

"In the continental USA, there were 137 high temperature type records versus 857 low temperature type records this past week , a 6-1 difference. Last week there were 1154 low temperature type records putting the two week total for October at 2,011. There were also 24 new snowfall records set this week in the upper plains."
Don't get all hyped up about these silly record lows. The fleeting cold snap was only a result of the deep low in central Bering Sea that formed as an extra-tropical rebirth of ex-hurricane/typhoon Jelawat, which pushed the cold air from Alaska over to Canada and down the the lower-48. If not global warming, how is it possible for a tropical weather system to travel that far North and exerted such impact on the Arctic. Explain please? Maybe we need to start looking at the full picture here, ridge in Alaska- trough in US, vice versa. Now that occurrence is over with, you are heading for much warmer weather, and more likely repeat of this past winter. So be on the lookout for tons of record highs in the next few months.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Don't get all hyped up about these silly record lows. The fleeting cold snap was only a result of the deep low in central Bering Sea that formed as an extra-tropical rebirth of ex-hurricane/typhoon Jelawat, which pushed the cold air from Alaska over to Canada and down the the lower-48. If not global warming, how is it possible for a tropical weather system to travel that far North and exerted such impact on the Arctic. Explain please? Maybe we need to start looking at the full picture here, ridge in Alaska- trough in US, vice versa. Now that occurrence is over with, you are heading for much warmer weather, and more likely repeat of this past winter. So be on the lookout for tons of record highs in the next few months.

Even though I'm a fan of warm weather, I still realize we need more normal winters/summers to maintain the natural ecosystem, etc.

I am no fan of global warming at all. I don't want sea level rise. I would think that people like Cambium who prefer cold weather would want everything done to prevent warming if it is caused by man.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Here is the sattelite image during the "record minimums" event. Notice the occlusion that is stretched across mainland Alaska and the high aloft over the Gulf of Alaska.

Quote:
Record Warm Start to October at Barrow

For the first time in nearly a century of instrumented weather observations at Barrow, the average temperature for the first ten days of October was above freezing. The average temperature of 32.1F is 0.6 degrees warmer than the previous record of 31.5F in 1977. During the first ten days of the month Barrow set two record highs (41F on the 5th and 38F on the 6th) and was within a degree of the record high on the 7th with a high of 37F. The 1981-2010 normal temperature for this period is 23.5F.

Last edited by Kaul; 10-14-2012 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I was looking for a specific data and thought I post this cause it was so funny what I came across.

Just from 1 record high.... Just a record high at Newark (which is still questionable) and look at all those stories that covered it.

But a record low...or 3000 of them and there's no coverage.. That my friends, is called brainwashing.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...1c.WCFDssny5Po

Good points from 7Wishes regarding this record. Why is Newark, NJ so hot in the summer?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I think that an all-time record in a major megapolis, be it high or low, is more likely to hit the headlines than a bunch of monthly records, no matter how numerous they are.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Newark's 108°F high has more climatic significance than this October cool shot.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
I remember a story about some pot holes and sink holes that formed and the news person said "this is what happens in a "warming world".
I had a professor list in a power point the 2004 tsunami being the result of global warming, along with hurricane Katrina. He got called out on both, conceded the tsunami as being incorrect, but debated the point about Katrina.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
It is called climate change, just a earths cycle imo.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Sure, why can't global warming get some cold temperatures?

Quote:
To all the people who pushed global warming on us when the U.S had a 3 day heat wave...Where are you now?
Both are dumb. Compare instead monthly anomalies. How many other times have we had a similar cold wave to the one in October? The heat wave this summer?

Quote:
"In the continental USA, there were 137 high temperature type records versus 857 low temperature type records this past week , a 6-1 difference. Last week there were 1154 low temperature type records putting the two week total for October at 2,011. There were also 24 new snowfall records set this week in the upper plains."
Well that's just one week. What's the ratio of high temperature records to low temperature records for the entire year? Regardless, suppose the US has warmed by 1°F (no clue what the correct number is). And 1°F will do what? You'll still get below average temperatures and above average temperatures, just somewhat more of the latter.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Nah, this is what global warming looks like;

The Arctic's Record Breaking Ice Melt - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather