Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times

Advertisements

I went to the grocery store tonight...and all the gallons of bottled water were gone! I think we're going to get something since the Caribbean was apparently hit unusually hard. I'd actually rather have a lot of snow than flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 08:33 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I went to the grocery store tonight...and all the gallons of bottled water were gone! I think we're going to get something since the Caribbean was apparently hit unusually hard. I'd actually rather have a lot of snow than flooding.
Agree 100%

Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 PM

317 posts, read 576,387 times
well im in NYC, and i got a gallon of water, a 5 liter box of wine, 3 half gallon bottles of bacardi and 2 cases of Heineken, so im ready to party and ride this storm.

and the food, a Single soldiers diet: Ramen noodles, PBJ sandwhiches, and a tons of tuna fish, with Hawaiian punch to wash it all down

Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
well im in NYC, and i got a gallon of water, a 5 liter box of wine, 3 half gallon bottles of bacardi and 2 cases of Heineken, so im ready to party and ride this storm.

and the food, a Single soldiers diet: Ramen noodles, PBJ sandwhiches, and a tons of tuna fish, with Hawaiian punch to wash it all down
I would say you are all set.:

Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times

Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 AM

264 posts, read 774,500 times
Wow guys, definitely would not call this storm hype. I am from Florida and have been living in the path of hurricanes for the past 10 years. The storm was upgraded to a Cat 3 overnight but now a Cat 2 again. It has the potential to intensify.

This storm is very broad meaning you will feel the effects of the wind and rain a lot longer than most other storms. Prepare accordingly, potential for high wind and flooding damage, power outages, etc.

I am normally not concerned with anything below a Cat 3, but again being as broad as the storm is and it's potential, please keep informed and prepare accordingly.

Definitely not hype!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times
I live in the Pacific Northwest thousands of miles from the action but we have had our own "Frankenstorm". December 1 - 4, 2007 saw a non-tropical storm on steroids smack down the western half of the U.S. and Canada with all the high winds, storm surges, heavy precipitation (almost all of it rain, though) and the attendant downed timber, busted power lines, mudslides, flooded cities and towns and blocked streets and highways you could wish for.

We had a pretty good emergency response but even so, there were some locations that didn't see power until early 2008. This was later called "The Great Coastal Gale" and was one of the most powerful storms of record. At least since a similar gale blew in over Great Britain and northern Europe in November 1703.

About 20 people died in that thing and there was well over a billion dollars of losses after all was said and done. That, in spite of several day's advanced notice and a first ever hurricane warning posted for a non-tropical storm. The NWS did not overhype our storm and while winds were not quite as strong as the more famous "Columbus Day" blow in 1962, tropical storm and hurricane force winds went on about 12 times as long.

Comparisons are rough. But it should be noted:
1.Sandy is expected to make landfall as a high end (semi) tropical storm anywhere between the DelMarVa peninsula and Cape Cod. Regardless of where she hits, she has the potential of impacting nearly to over 100 million people over an area less than 200000 square miles (519000 Km2). Our storm impacted about 8 million over 750000 square miles (1943000 Km2).
2. Our storm didn't pull in an arctic air mass, so snow was a non factor. If you live above 2500 feet (750 M) anywhere within Sandy's cone of uncertainty be prepared for a lot of heavy, wet snow the consistancy of concrete.
3. Our storm didn't hit during a full moon. Yours will and during high tide. Storm surges will be a real problem.
4. We don't have a lot of broadleaf trees out where we live and those that are had long since shed their leaves. I used to live in the Hudson Valley and even there, deciduous trees were dominant and often didn't even brown up untill November; and retained nearly full leaf well to the middle of the month. What this means is trees already burden'd with a full leaf set are far more vulnerable to shattered limbs, split trunks and uprooting. A lot of that debris will likely find a new home in your driveways and thoroughfares. Clean-up's gonna be a bear!
5. Sandy has a much stronger tropical component than ours did; and we still got over a foot of rain in much of the storm's sphere of influence. A rainfall predition analysis tool METSTAT.com - Extreme Precipitation Index – Analysis claims that some spots in Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland can expect a once in a thousand year rainfall event. I'm not sure what "once in a thousand years" means, other than the obvious but that sounds like a awful lot of rain is headed your way. A disclaimer though, this website is not free and to get the gory details you have to subscribe.

Even if the media is hyping this storm and comparing it to Armageddon, the NWS is not and they are very jittery. This beast covers over a million square miles, is already twice the size of Ike and is far from ataining maximum growth. Sandy has the potential of making our "Great Coastal Gale" seem like an afternoon sea breeze by comparison. Stock up, hunker down (or evacuate!) and stay safe....

Old 10-27-2012, 09:41 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think it's media hype, just like the last hurricane that blew through the Northeast last year or whenever it was
I hate when people say stuff like this. It was not hype, it was a hurricane and those are notoriously difficult to predict in terms of where exactly it will hit the hardest. In that case they were right about the potential damage but in the end it didn't hit NYC the way they thought it might, but it completely devastated areas to the north and west. It's difficult to know where exactly a storm will turn.

This will be just as bad if not worse, we just don't know who is drawing the short straw yet. We won't really know until it happens, but at least people know to be prepared.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
When Navy boats leave, it is time to hunker down. OIF VET, your packs of Ramen ain't gonna do much good, with zip power for days on end...go get some canned food, MREs. A bunch of apples, and a couple of cases of granola bars. I had a whole cupb aord of "ready to eat" food, pudding cups, applesauce, salmon, jerky, and a 72 hour kit in a backpack.

I suggest those who take meds, go get those re filled...ASAP. Fill up the gas tanks, go get about $200 in cash, small bills, because those debit card machines don't work when there is no electic. Clean the house, wash your clothes, take a long. Hot shower, fill the tubs...because you need water to flush the toilet when the power goes out for days.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:39 PM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When Navy boats leave, it is time to hunker down. OIF VET, your packs of Ramen ain't gonna do much good, with zip power for days on end...go get some canned food, MREs. A bunch of apples, and a couple of cases of granola bars. I had a whole cupb aord of "ready to eat" food, pudding cups, applesauce, salmon, jerky, and a 72 hour kit in a backpack.

I suggest those who take meds, go get those re filled...ASAP. Fill up the gas tanks, go get about $200 in cash, small bills, because those debit card machines don't work when there is no electic. Clean the house, wash your clothes, take a long. Hot shower, fill the tubs...because you need water to flush the toilet when the power goes out for days.
Good advice. One other piece - and it may already be too late but if your precint allows, vote now because you may not be able to on the 6th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather