Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Strange. Maybe it was a localized event? In any case, I have oddly specific memories of that day.

History | Weather Underground
Light snow for 3 hours is nothing. Probably never stuck to the surface especially If the qpf amounts are around .09" .. That's probably why theres no record of it.

What keeps me baffled is the fact that we keep breaking all time records with rare events. It's like we have to throw climotology out the window and just know anything can happen. Not even I knew that this NorEaster would be the earliest most snowfall on record. That's pretty interesting nowadays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 08:04 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Light snow for 3 hours is nothing. Probably never stuck to the surface especially If the qpf amounts are around .09" .. That's probably why theres no record of it.
No, it was definitely an accumulating snow. You'll notice precipitation was recorded each hour starting at 3PM even though some of the observations just say 'overcast'. The dewpoints support snow.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
No, it was definitely an accumulating snow. You'll notice precipitation was recorded each hour starting at 3PM even though some of the observations just say 'overcast'. The dewpoints support snow.
Support and actual are completetly different. Do you know what .05" of precip is? That evaporates in the air with snow or comes down as drizzle if its liquid. Maybe thats why nothing accumulated or worth noting.

Also, the rate of fall and surface temps do not support accumulations. Look around other areas, see if you find anything...Maybe it was an interior event(PA,WV,OH,Upstate NY) The Nov. 17th event was accumulating for you but Sussex and this past storm are 2 different things.

The coast and Newark including NYC into CT broke those records of earliest biggest snows, not NW NJ. Im sure NW NJ has had big early November snows.

In fact, the record earliest for November for a 4"+ snowstorm in Sussex is 6.0" on 11/12/1968, nothing before the 12th of the month was there more than 4".

So this fact makes this Nor'Easter sound even more rare. Coastal CT got more snow earlier than NW NJ has. Wow! Now I have to look at other sites to see how far in we can go with that,.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:49 AM

A Map you would see for January...not early November. Nuts the more I think about it.

***If you have a total that does not coordinate with this map, let us know.***

Keep in mind that several factors may lead to differing amounts. The fact that snow ended during the pre-dawn hours on November 8th meant that some melting and compaction likely occurred for those who measured the snow depth later that morning. Also, the banding nature of the snow led to highly variable snowfall amounts, even within individual towns.

As a final note, the totals represented in the map are smoothed and approximate

Final Snowfall Summary: Nov. 7-8 - WXedge.com | Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home

Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Support and actual are completetly different. Do you know what .05" of precip is? That evaporates in the air with snow or comes down as drizzle if its liquid. Maybe thats why nothing accumulated or worth noting.

Also, the rate of fall and surface temps do not support accumulations. Look around other areas, see if you find anything...Maybe it was an interior event(PA,WV,OH,Upstate NY) The Nov. 17th event was accumulating for you but Sussex and this past storm are 2 different things.

The coast and Newark including NYC into CT broke those records of earliest biggest snows, not NW NJ. Im sure NW NJ has had big early November snows.

In fact, the record earliest for November for a 4"+ snowstorm in Sussex is 6.0" on 11/12/1968, nothing before the 12th of the month was there more than 4".

So this fact makes this Nor'Easter sound even more rare. Coastal CT got more snow earlier than NW NJ has. Wow! Now I have to look at other sites to see how far in we can go with that,.

Oh I don't doubt the historic nature of the Nor'easter last week. I'm just saying my area experienced an accumulating snow that day in November 2007. Too bad I wasn't on this forum, otherwise it would have been "recorded". I don't think it was more than a couple inches.

This is the issue with snow and weather in general. Simply not enough stations around to capture every single event if it's localized and elevational. Even during region-wide snowstorms, the local station may say we officially had 6 inches (for example), when some places had more or less.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Is accumulating snow rare in these parts in November? It seems many are making a big deal about 5 inches or so.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Is accumulating snow rare in these parts in November? It seems many are making a big deal about 5 inches or so.
Definitely on the coast, it's almost unheard of, especially for early November. Looking at my weather station, the earliest 4" or more snowfall was recorded on Nov 10. Excluding last year's Halloween snowstorm (6.5").

For NYC's Central Park, earliest 4" snowfall recorded was on Nov 23.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't doubt the historic nature of the Nor'easter last week. I'm just saying my area experienced an accumulating snow that day in November 2007. Too bad I wasn't on this forum, otherwise it would have been "recorded". I don't think it was more than a couple inches.

This is the issue with snow and weather in general. Simply not enough stations around to capture every single event if it's localized and elevational. Even during region-wide snowstorms, the local station may say we officially had 6 inches (for example), when some places had more or less.
Hmm, You keep insisting there was accumulation but there's no proof. Are you saying snow accumulated only over your home or town only and it didnt fall anywhere else?? You mention there's not enough stations around (which I totally agree with) but Do you realize the link you gave is the UFO NWS station of Sussex?

The link you gave doesnt even support 2 inches, .14" of precip factoring in melt and low snow ratios due to temp, thats lucky to get even a trace. I'm not questioning that you didnt see snow because it was probably falling in the air but there was no accumulations more than a trace.

Like I said, your earliest snowfall more than 4" is November 12th. This is quality controlled here. Dates of the Last SF 1 NE&coopid=288644&param=38&tc=%204.0

I think this conversation started when I asked what you all thought about this rare event snowfall and you replied..

Quote:
There was a snow event here in Northern New Jersey roughly around the same date in November 2007. Was that local or do you recall such an event?
It was a light snow non accumulating event. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Rare for that early, yes. But after mid November the entire area "occasionally" gets more than 4". Even that is not common to the coast. It's the first time ever its happened that early and maybe a fact that has bypassed some... It was the biggest November snowfall for some areas... meaning November 1 - 30th since records began!!

Put it this way... I believe nei just replied, not even parts of the interior gets snows that much that early!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Since it shouldnt go un-noticed... Here's another view...

Most snow ever for the month of November in over 62 years (which isnt a lot anyway)

Kennedy, NY Record Snowfall 3.7" November 22-23,1989
Newark, NJ Record Snowfall 5.7" November 22-23,1989
Bridgeport, CT Record Snowfall 6.6" November 22-23,1989

So forget the total amount for a second... look at the date... The most snow that ever fell in November came after Mid month towards the end.

This storm total November 7-8, 2012
Kennedy, NY 4.3"
Newark, NJ 6.2"
Bridgeport, CT 8.3"

So lets just say it hasnt happened in our lifetime a generation or two and its not even a couple days earlier,,, its 2 weeks earlier!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm, You keep insisting there was accumulation but there's no proof. Are you saying snow accumulated only over your home or town only and it didnt fall anywhere else?? You mention there's not enough stations around (which I totally agree with) but Do you realize the link you gave is the UFO NWS station of Sussex?

The link you gave doesnt even support 2 inches, .14" of precip factoring in melt and low snow ratios due to temp, thats lucky to get even a trace. I'm not questioning that you didnt see snow because it was probably falling in the air but there was no accumulations more than a trace.

Like I said, your earliest snowfall more than 4" is November 12th. This is quality controlled here. Dates of the Last SF 1 NE&coopid=288644&param=38&tc=%204.0

I think this conversation started when I asked what you all thought about this rare event snowfall and you replied..

It was a light snow non accumulating event. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
I brought it up because you were talking about the historical nature of the storm. I never doubted that, but it has snowed and accumulated here in early November. My memory must be fuzzy about the date (I guess it was the 10th), but check this link out: Office of the New Jersey State Climatologist

The first measurable snow of the season fell on the hills of northern NJ on the 10th. High Point was the big winner with 4.8", while totals under an inch or two were more common in lower elevations and in the Highlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather