Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
Go to south Florida, its the only subtropical place in the US.. we got well over 200+ days of over 80 degrees.. Usually its HOT from March- November. I had my air on year round.. I didn't turn it off. On top of that its in the everglades, so you have humidity .Last year for christmas it was 83 degrees. People who move there from up north sound just like you do.... I'd love to have summer year round , I'll go to the beach all the time etc.. We call those peopel fullbacks or half backs.. They come with stars in their eyes, don't understand the meaning of subtropical.. Its not like the heat you'll feel in the Carolinas, this is heat you'll find in the amazon.. opressive , and dangerous... So they either move fully back to where they came from or half back to the carolinas .....
That was indirectly one of the things I was thinking about when I posted this thread. Good point Tarastomgirl.

However I believe I probably don't experience warm-hot temps the same way most other people do, so I could be an exception.
I did an experiment as a kid with a day an extreme heat alert was on TV and found that no days here are too hot for me to excersize.
A heat index of 110 F won't keep me indoors, just high humidity days without wind feel a bit gross.

On Monday we were surprised with record heat, highs between 87-90 F and a little mugginess. The previous days had highs in the low-mid 70 F's. I had no reason to be accustomed to that kind of heat, yet if you told me it was only 80-82 F outside I would believe you, since the heat was gentle enough to ignore, with little-to-no effort. They reported the heat index near 100 F but all I could tell is that it was warmer outside than inside. I was at times grinning like an idiot, as this was "Canadian Thanksgiving" and for the first time in my memory it felt like summer. Usually it's cool enough that spending a lot of time outdoors before sunset is undesireable.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-11-2007 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Not long enough in San Antonio? Isn't it like 11 months warm and 1 month cool down there?

But in all honesty, we have 6 and 1/2 months here where the average high is 70+ (Mid April - Late October) and it's plenty for me. Maybe closer to 5 months I'd like better.
Funny.

See the thing is, because I'm north of the Great Lakes, as soon as we stop consistantly getting sunny weather about 70 F or higher, our chances of seeing any days above 60 F before next spring is extremely slim. It's almost like there are only two choices for general temperature patterns:

afternoons from mid low 60's to mid 90's F,
or
afternoons from high 50's to the minus -10's. F

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-11-2007 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 07:48 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
That is what makes me called about living in a moderate climate. The days of X temperature's never end.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
That is what makes me called about living in a moderate climate. The days of X temperature's never end.
What never ends? 70 F, or 70 F-plus?

Some might say I live in a moderate climate. Gardening-wise it is for many plants.
However for human comfort, it's more accurate to say it's moderately cold.
(and for "lizards" or "parrot-heads" it's still the Arctic )

To be more accurate in describing our weather,
half the year 70 F-plus is almost unheard of, while the other half the year it is very common.

I like my description above, though for a place I'd like to call "home," I'd prefer to swap 70 F with 90 F, or 95 F.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 PM

I meant to say it made me glad, but now it won't let me edit. Now that I read that I'm not even exactly sure what I meant now, haha. I think what I meant to say was I like how where I am we get days of all kinds of weather and not constant hot or cold.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
You can't have too many days 70+. 365 per year would be OK with me. It can snow for that 1 extra day in the leap years. It would melt the next day.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You can't have too many days 70+. 365 per year would be OK with me. It can snow for that 1 extra day in the leap years. It would melt the next day.
And we know what you would do in the snow on that one day! I mean, your user name is "Yellowsnow". LOL!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I meant to say it made me glad, but now it won't let me edit. Now that I read that I'm not even exactly sure what I meant now, haha.

I think what I meant to say was I like how where I am we get days of all kinds of weather and not constant hot or cold.
Funny!

Well the same could be said about where I live, except here many people's ideas of temperatures of cold and hot change with the seasons...

A Northerner's Seasonal View on Temperatures:

In winter, it's only cold if it's below freezing. It's warm if it's above 40 F. Yet it would not be too unusual to see the same person talking about the "fine warm (42 F) weather" while still wearing a coat. You will never hear the word "hot" in winter to describe weather, unless someone's going on vacation where it might be 70 F-plus.

In spring and fall, it's probably only cold to most people when it's below 40 F. It's warm to most people when it passes 60 F, yet most people will not be in shorts. Anything in between is "cool weather" and you'll likely see most people wearing coats or jackets for that. You might hear "hot" to describe freaky warm weather at or above 75 F.

In summer, I'm not sure what is cold, but any afternoon under 60 F is fair game for being called "cold." Warm is anything in from 70 F to perhaps low 80's F. This is the only time warm is synonymous with acceptable weather for shorts. Hot weather to some starts from the low to mid 80's F. Many people consider it hot at 90 F, while to me it starts in the mid-high 90's F.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:24 AM

See, I wish the people down here were more like that. All summer despite the temperature it's hot and all winter it's considered cold. So it could be 100 or 80 during the summer but it's hot both ways and 20 or 50 in the winter but it's still cold. Get a scale people!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
3 months of 70+ is more than enough for me. I dont like anything to be consistant and here in Chicagoland we get a perfect mix of everything, I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather