Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

If we are capable to seed clouds to produce precipitation howcome we are not doing especially in drought striken areas?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...887591,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Sunny, I can't wait to read the article, but unfortunately won't get to do that until later.

Without reading the story, I probably shouldn't have a comment. BUT you know me.

In 1972 they were starting to do quite a bit of cloud seeding in my area. Unfortunately, Rapid City had a downpour and was flooded. There were several lives lost and there was a lot in ruins. I live a half day away from there and was still young~just heading out there for music camp. DH was still in the National Guard at the time and went out to help with the cleanup. I guess it was pretty awful.

I don't know what all was learned from that, but they stopped seeding. Hopefully by now they have figured out a way to do it successfully without causing problems like that.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:22 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
wow I don't know. Just tampering with mother nature sounds dangerous to me. with the weather changing as it is, something catastrophic could very easily happen and then there would be major problems and possibly lives lost. IT just sounds too risky to me.

Of course, I also have concerns on the opposite end of the spectrum as well. I have heard that car manufacturing plants have some type of signal that they use to keep hail storms away from the area, and since we are getting Toyota just three miles from us, I wonder how this will affect our weather. Also, the land they are building on was rolling hills and now it is completely flat. We have lost our natural protection of the ridge that was once there. How will this affect our weather?

Old 10-14-2007, 08:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
SD Water Science Center: 1972 Flood Revisited

Since a lot of years have passed since this flood, it's possible that they have perfected things with cloud seeding, but I'd still be a bit apprehensive about it.

I found this article and sort of skimmed through it. I was a bit disappointed cause I didn't see any mention of the cloud seeding that had been done in the days leading up to the flood. Guess now since time has passed, it'll go down in history as just another huge flood. The article says it happens every 500 years or so. Could it just have been fate and the time was up for one OR was the seeding to blame. They had been doing a lot of research into it at that time. It appears that history won't even mention the seeding and that's a shame cause it could save lives in the future.

After the flood, I was actually in staying in Spearfish, but we did go to Rapid for one day. DH unfortunately was there for several days and the things he was helping with weren't pretty. As you can see by the article, many people lost their lives. There were bodies hanging in trees and snagged on things that they had to retrieve and I'm sure it was an awful experience.

Guess I have to agree with Angel, messing with Mother Nature could give us quite a backlash.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If we are capable to seed clouds to produce precipitation howcome we are not doing especially in drought striken areas?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...887591,00.html
Did you notice the date on that article? Sept 1947. We've been seeding clouds for a long time. The problem is the clouds have to be just right and then when seeded there is no guarentee of output.

Rapid City had 3 major problems. 1, clouds were seeded but they were east of town already. 2, another front backed the first one up and held it there all night long. 3, most every major creek in the Black his runs into Rapid City on the West end of town. So the hills acted like a funnel that emptied into Rapid City.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Yep, the Forestry had our clouds seeded in CA. and I have NEVER seen rain like that rain. My home had mud throughout and many lives were lost. Did help with our drought but at what cost??

Old 10-18-2007, 09:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
wow I don't know. Just tampering with mother nature sounds dangerous to me. with the weather changing as it is, something catastrophic could very easily happen and then there would be major problems and possibly lives lost. IT just sounds too risky to me.

I agree. Just another thing for mankind to screw up. lol Thats God's department, not ours.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
They seeded a hurricane off the coast of Georgia. Instead of dumping the rain out at sea, it made a 90 degree turn and hit Savannah straight on.

It's not nice to try and fool Mother Nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather