Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:41 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I doubt there is a place that has what for me would be ideal. I lived on the equator and it was in the 20'sC every day and could get down to 10C at night. But it was monotonous. I like seasons - but only summer, autumn and spring. One day of snow per year would be fine, otherwise, I hate snow.
It sounds like you're cut out to be a Snowbird. In that sort of lifestyle it's common to live in a four-season climate 6-9 months out of the year, but head to Floridian-type climates during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,848,319 times
I was born in Paris, cold temperate atlantic climate , with cool very humid winters interspesed with cold fronts bringing a bit of snow and balmy/coolish summers interspesed with high pressures from the Azores bringing a bit of hot weather leading to thunderstorms. Spring and fall both last particularly long (from late march to mid june and from late september to late november). During those latter periods, weather is especially unpredictable ( you can have relative warmth with 20°C one day, and cool 12° C the next). Overall it's more a 8 season than a 4 season climate, very tiring.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
I feel sorry for you guys born in France and the UK (seems like our Weather regulars are only from those 2 EU nations, except one from Finland and another from Estonia). Born in countries that are convection graveyards with slate gray skies all winter and yucky cold drizzle

Old 11-22-2012, 05:57 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,517,076 times
It seems posters on here absolutely revel in how uninteresting our weather is, and take great pleasure in reminding us, and giving us their 'sympathy'. I wonder why?!

Luckily I have more going on my life, so I am not preoccupied worrying about the weather.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,621,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I feel sorry for you guys born in France and the UK (seems like our Weather regulars are only from those 2 EU nations, except one from Finland and another from Estonia). Born in countries that are convection graveyards with slate gray skies all winter and yucky cold drizzle
No need to feel sorry for us. I like the more subtle vagaries of our country's climate like the Januarys sunnier than Junes, places having their two hottest days of the year in April and in October, snow falling repeatedly in March/April after none at all all winter, it being dry when it's supposed to be wet and then the complete opposite a few months later, having no idea whether we'll get a proper summer or winter, etc. As I write we have 30-40mph gusts blowing some interesting-looking cloudscapes and sunny spells over us and squally showers that come out of nowhere - much more interesting to me than cloudless skies. As I have said before, I definitely feel I belong in a high-latitude maritime climate.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
No need to feel sorry for us. I like the more subtle vagaries of our country's climate like the Januarys sunnier than Junes, places having their two hottest days of the year in April and in October, snow falling repeatedly in March/April after none at all all winter, it being dry when it's supposed to be wet and then the complete opposite a few months later, having no idea whether we'll get a proper summer or winter, etc. As I write we have 30-40mph gusts blowing some interesting-looking cloudscapes and sunny spells over us and squally showers that come out of nowhere - much more interesting to me than cloudless skies. As I have said before, I definitely feel I belong in a high-latitude maritime climate.
I love the complete unpredictability of British weather. It says it's gonna rain, it doesn't or it does but 2 hours later than they said it would. Calling for cool temps when the air mysteriously warms up, etc. I came to not rely on the BBC forecasts as many times the weather had a habit of not arriving on schedule. All I had to do was just remember, don't worry there's no hurricane coming

British summers are the best in the world, IMO. The perfect mix of cloud and blue sky, with temps in the 60s. What's there not to like??? I was able to, for the first time in my life, enjoy the outdoors without becoming a wet, soppy, smelly sponge. I also loved the cloudiness. It's not always boring slate gray across the sky, most of the time the clouds looked like they were going to produce a severe thunderstorm (lots of dark gray and cumulonimbus type things) even though most of the time it was just a few raindrops coming down. that made the sky looking interesting most of the time. It's only in the mornings where the sky has that crappy, monotonous flat sheet of gray covering it. but, I only speak for the southeast after all. I don't know what the rest of the country is like.

Getting completely dark at 11 PM and dawn arriving at 3:30 AM was also quite an experience. I loved it, especially when the blackout curtains were drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It seems posters on here absolutely revel in how uninteresting our weather is, and take great pleasure in reminding us, and giving us their 'sympathy'. I wonder why?!

Luckily I have more going on my life, so I am not preoccupied worrying about the weather.
Lol, chill out, man. I was only speaking in jest

Old 11-22-2012, 09:46 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Thats nonsense.

If you were to look at my weather reports you'd see that its not as mild as you'd think and we do get snow- Infact its colder here right now and has been for ages than the NE of the USA.It isn't constant drizzle. Infact, it hardly ever drizzles here.

You need to realise also that the British Isles is not only London. London has quite a different climate than the rest of the country, infact i'd say it would be more similar to the likes of Dunkirk or Calais.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,183,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats nonsense.

If you were to look at my weather reports you'd see that its not as mild as you'd think and we do get snow- Infact its colder here right now and has been for ages than the NE of the USA.It isn't constant drizzle. Infact, it hardly ever drizzles here.
What's your average so far this month? Your average may be cooler, but I'd bet most of the NE US has had colder minimums.

For my area:

Mean Max: 49 F/9 C
Mean Min: 29 F/-2 C
Nights at or below 32 F/0 C: 15
Absolute Min: 19 F/-7 C
Mean Temp: 39 F/4 C

Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

Its the obnoxious American attitude. They are raised to think that they are above everyone.

Funny thing is, thon boy isn't American.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
What's your average so far this month? Your average may be cooler, but I'd bet most of the NE US has had colder minimums.

For my area:

Mean Max: 49 F/9 C
Mean Min: 29 F/-2 C
Nights at or below 32 F/0 C: 15
Absolute Min: 19 F/-7 C
Mean Temp: 39 F/4 C
I don't keep a record but I know my average low last month was 3c which is well below.

Think it'd be about 2c so far.
Mean max don't know, but will be around 6c. I'm doubtful that your average high is 9c.

I'd rather have a cold day and a medium min than a warm day and a low min.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather