Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 05:49 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I was a bit shocked to see this 8 to 14 day forecast by NOAA?
No one should be shocked. It's going to get worse, too, for the cold weather hallucinators I've been watching this for some time as all the forecasters have backed off of the deep cold they were showing on models a week or so ago. When the Dec. prediction updates, I will put it in here. The one that is up now was made on Nov. 15th, and things have changed dramatically since then.

It was 75° in E. Colorado today. The local news stations have been all over this story and things are getting quite dire up here, I assure you that this is not just the histronics of an old coot in Colorado. December is going to be a repeat of last year and as was the case last year, we will eventually run out of calendar as the warm continues and continues to buffet the midsection of the country. There will, of course, be highly touted cold shots in the NE that will be ephemeral, but there will be no stopping the heat engine that will envelop the country this winter.

What is more significant is the horrible drought that has plagued this area for 3 years. This is where the danger lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
No one should be shocked. It's going to get worse, too, for the cold weather hallucinators I've been watching this for some time as all the forecasters have backed off of the deep cold they were showing on models a week or so ago. When the Dec. prediction updates, I will put it in here. The one that is up now was made on Nov. 15th, and things have changed dramatically since then.

It was 75° in E. Colorado today. The local news stations have been all over this story and things are getting quite dire up here, I assure you that this is not just the histronics of an old coot in Colorado. December is going to be a repeat of last year and as was the case last year, we will eventually run out of calendar as the warm continues and continues to buffet the midsection of the country. There will, of course, be highly touted cold shots in the NE that will be ephemeral, but there will be no stopping the heat engine that will envelop the country this winter.

What is more significant is the horrible drought that has plagued this area for 3 years. This is where the danger lies.
From my travels around the USA it seems that drought is becoming more and more common. Places that never had drought issues, seem to be having years that are have subpar rainfall. We on the East Coast with all the summer huimd sultury weather never had to worry about drought, now I have to water more and more in the hot summer months. That alone is enough to worry about climate change.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:46 PM

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...10temp.new.gif

Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicstargoat View Post
oh hell no

Old 11-24-2012, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Bleh. Everywhere else in the country but my location. Figures.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
From my travels around the USA it seems that drought is becoming more and more common. Places that never had drought issues, seem to be having years that are have subpar rainfall. We on the East Coast with all the summer huimd sultury weather never had to worry about drought, now I have to water more and more in the hot summer months. That alone is enough to worry about climate change.
Really? We may get some mild to moderate droughts from time to time, but the most recent severe drought I can recall was in the late 90s. IIRC, I believe the 50s and 60s featured some notably dry years.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
oh hell no
My sentiments exactly, but here it comes again.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Here is just another visual look at what is awaiting the USA the first part of December. The brief shot of colder air in November will be long gone as we move into the real winter months of Dec.-Jan.-Feb. Does this look familiar? Well, it should if you were in the USA last winter.

Here is the result of last years winter, Dec.-Feb. Like Yogi says, "It's deja-vu all over again.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Your forecast is for one week in December not the entire month. I'm inclined to dismiss it as wishful thinking.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your forecast is for one week in December not the entire month. I'm inclined to dismiss it as wishful thinking.
Well, I despise warm weather, just for the record. I cannot, however, look away from what I see as the proverbial writing on the wall for this winter. I look at it as win/win in that I'll either be correct or I'll get my cold weather. I'm not betting on the latter though, considering what I am looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather