Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times

Advertisements

^^Yeah actually the rain is coming from ex-TC Oswald, it was never a particularly strong cyclone and has been tracking inland for the last week, but it's been dumping very heavy rain from north Queensland and hasn't relented all that much as it moves south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
There have been some really insane rainfall totals last night! Kingaroy, a town about 90km north-east of here, had an incredible 234mm of rain in the 24 hours to 9am. Further north, the town of Gayndah had 282.8mm. These are inland towns so daily rainfall totals higher than 100mm are rare, let alone 200! Both places easily broke their daily rainfall record. There are very strong winds in some areas as well, with Toowoomba recording gusts over 90km/h which has brought down trees and caused power outages in some areas. Latest Weather Observations Toowoomba
Yesterday at least 5 tornadoes caused damage as well, a very significant tornado outbreak for Australia.

Here in Dalby there was 70.8mm to 9am and another 10.6mm in the last hour. I really love this weather. Also the pressure has dropped below 997hPa as the remnants of Tropical Cyclone Oswald get closer. Some computer models show the centre passing almost straight over my town later today.

I wish that i was in Queensland right now as i love "action weather" like pouring rain and wind. Where I'm at Atlantic Canada all there is is sunshine and very cold. Boring.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

473 posts, read 666,723 times
Widespread flooding over south-eastern parts of Queensland today. My town is affected as well, with the Myall Creek that runs through town rising enough to affect some properties. There has been 125mm/5" of rainfall in town so far, which seems to be less than most places. The mountains have been getting a lot more rain then low elevations as well, such as the Bunya Mountains to the north-east of here which had more than 300mm/12" of rain, where the Myall Creek starts. In the Gold Coast Hinterland there were 24-hour rainfall totals in excess of 500mm!

Currently it is 24.4C/76F with a dew point of 22.7C/73F, and light drizzle is falling. It should begin to clear up later today or tonight.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Brisbane hasn't escaped the flooding and water levels are still rising. We are 200m up the road from a creek which was looking pretty ferocious last night but luckily hasn't worsened.

It has been an unbelievable long weekend. Just constant rain, some very heavy as well as gale force winds.

Our house fared well with no damage. My workplace is flooded though and have been asked to work from home tomorrow (not sure when we can get back in the office).

Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM

10 posts, read 9,282 times
Default Ashes

Where are my Barmy Army friend tix???????

Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Brisbane hasn't escaped the flooding and water levels are still rising. We are 200m up the road from a creek which was looking pretty ferocious last night but luckily hasn't worsened.

It has been an unbelievable long weekend. Just constant rain, some very heavy as well as gale force winds.

Our house fared well with no damage. My workplace is flooded though and have been asked to work from home tomorrow (not sure when we can get back in the office).
Good that your house is OK- was the office down lowish near the Brisbane River level?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Good that your house is OK- was the office down lowish near the Brisbane River level?
Thanks Our office is on the banks of a major tributary in Brisbane's inner north which has been badly affected. During the floods two years ago, the building was closed for two weeks!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I wish that i was in Queensland right now as i love "action weather" like pouring rain and wind. Where I'm at Atlantic Canada all there is is sunshine and very cold. Boring.

On 2nd thought reading about the devastation in Queensland I think I change my mind. Interestly enough beford Oswald the area was really dry and hot. I read on weather zone forum someone saying everyone must have dance for rain at the exact same time and this is what they got. It's lucky that Oswald didn't stall over Brisbane instead of Gladstone, some of the stories from around there remind me of after Hurricane Sandy went over New Jersey.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
That damn easterly is at it again! The past five days have failed to get anywhere near the overly optimistic forecast highs. Most days were meant to be 24 - 27 C and barely cracked 20 C. We've also had stratus hanging around all morning.

Today also has a 27 C forecast high, but I'll be surprised if we make 22 C. Thurs - Fri are meant to be over 30 C with a waning easterly. Oh, why can't it wait until the weekend? I want to be on the beach on those rare occasions that we get warm weather, not stuck in an un-air conditioned office with a bunch of sweaty guys.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
36c right now

awful day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather