Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,126 times

Advertisements

Let's say Australia north coast was located over New Zealand how would it effect the climate, precipitation and the vegetation.

Australia would like much greener and lush with temperate forests dominating the South and a steppe in which is now a desert, the north coast would be less subtropical rainforests possibly?

I'm imagining a Australia that's more prone to coldwaves then heatwaves and is much more like the Northern hemisphere continents.

Though Extreme heat will probably be still a issue during an Australian summer but maybe less so?

I would like to hear from Australians and how it would effect the country culturally as well.

I'd love to hear any replies from this and what people think!

Last edited by P London; 12-06-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
It would be much much colder and would probably have ice caps at the bottom.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,557,510 times
Probably like Canada/Siberia

Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Yeah maybe along the victorian alps and the southern half of the great dividng range, tasmania will be a cold subarctic island. I also think coastal australia will be more oceanic and wet with inland and highland areas being cold and snowy. Maybe like southern canada and the midwest region of the States.
But the cold air from Antartica will still be tempered somewhat.

I think southern Australia will be very oceanic with year round coolness much like Punta Arenas in Chile. But maybe colder in winter

Anyway what do people think Australia will look like?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,556,441 times
Assuming the northern tip of Australia is moved to the northern tip of New Zealand (10S to 34S):

A lot of southern Australia would be tundra and the east coast would probably be similar to the Canadian Maritimes and Labrador.

Tasmania would be around 67S which is only a few hundred km from Antarctica so I would imagine there would be sea ice year round to the south of Tasmania and maybe even year round sea ice to the north of Tasmania.

At 36S, Darwin would have a climate similar to those areas of NZ but definitely with some continental characteristics.

Perth would have an interesting climate.

The southern areas would be very windy.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
If Australia's extreme northern point was latitude 35 degrees south, that would mean somewhere like southern Tasmania would be at 65-70 degrees. I think under that setup and assuming current day conditions, heatwaves would hardly ever occur and I think almost all of Australia would be able to experience significantly cold temperatures, and snowfall during southerly outbreaks in the winter. My guess is that temperatures would be similar to Canada or Northern USA, though more moderate with cooler summers and warmer winters. I also agree that Australia would be wetter, coming under the influence of the westerlies it would be much wetter along the coasts and inland year-round.

The far northern areas like Darwin and Broome would probably have a Mediterranean type rainfall pattern but with colder winters and warm, but not overly hot summers. The climates here would still be on average colder than what is seen in southern Australia currently and would probably experience snow on an annual basis. Locations outside the far north would probably see fairly consistent year-round precipitation, cities like Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne in exposed west facing locations would have wet temperate rainforest type climates, with yearly rainfall totals of 2000mm+. I think cities along the east coast such as Brisbane and Sydney would get drier due to the reduced influenced of warm Pacific waters to produce significant totals. Just my own speculations anyway.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM

I was thinking Southern Australia would have a climate like Southern Argentina and Chile, the interior of Australia would be hovering around 0C with a constant stream of snow, sleet and rain I'd say summers will be much cooler maybe temperatures around 26C but most likely interepted with cooler wet weather from the preveiling winds.
Western Australia would be very wet and much cooler maybe like Europe but much much wet and windier.
I think snow will be most common along the interior and southern areas of Australia.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:34 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,066,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
cities like Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne in exposed west facing locations would have wet temperate rainforest type climates, with yearly rainfall totals of 2000mm+
Those cities would be around 60 S, so would more likely be treeless tundra climates. Even Brisbane would be around MacQuarie Island's latitude.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
All of this speculation is very interesting. I'm coming to like this "alternate-universe" Australia better than the real one, climate-wise.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,990 times
If Australia was shifted south enough (>22 degrees), Tasmania would become a part of Antarctica. I can't see how heatwaves would be much of an issue anymore.

I don't know the jet stream there well enough, but it would seem that thanks to the lack of mountains blocking Antarctic air, northern Australia would see some impressive record lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather