Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Athens lies on the coast, surrounded by pretty hilly topography, yet it's July max is a pretty hot 33.5C/91.8F. I know they're more maritime, but i've checked stats for the Greek islands and they're in the high 20s (Heraklion, Crete, 28.5C). I don't have stats for Corinth but I assume cooler than Athens. Is Athens just a lot more continental in summer/prone to heatwaves from the Balkans than points further south? I mean Beirut and Tel Aviv both have July highs below 30C/86F, yet would be equally prone to heatwaves. Is the water in the sheltered bay just warmer in Athens?

Also isn't it surprising how humid the eastern Mediterranean is in summer? It's rainless but humidity levels are high. Also in the Gulf. Must be a pretty oppressive climate, humidity but now thunderstorms/rain to cool things off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times
Interesting. I think it's the region. I don't know the weather there that well, but I know that many cities on Turkey's Mediterranean Coast and Cyprus (well, not Paphos) are equally hot. Winds may play a huge factor.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
I love reading the forecasts from Athens.
Easily one of the best climates for anywhere greater than 35 degrees from the equator.
It's almost like a drier version of Myrtle Beach, SC's typical weather.
Makes Rome, Italy look chilly.

I wonder if Galaxyman would prefer Athens weather to Melbourne weather.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM

777 posts, read 1,062,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I love reading the forecasts from Athens.
Easily one of the best climates for anywhere greater than 35 degrees from the equator.
It's almost like a drier version of Myrtle Beach, SC's typical weather.
Makes Rome, Italy look chilly.

I wonder if Galaxyman would prefer Athens weather to Melbourne weather.
Athen's summer overnight lows are warmer than Melbourne's highs for ****s sake

On e thing I cant understand is how the hell is Nicosia average 37C in summer when it's on a relatively small island at 36N?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:35 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
The Islands are on the sea so they get moderated, but Athens is on the continent and so warms up.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Athen's summer overnight lows are warmer than Melbourne's highs for ****s sake

On e thing I cant understand is how the hell is Nicosia average 37C in summer when it's on a relatively small island at 36N?
The sea is around 25c there in the summer, gulf stream.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Dubai shouldn't be as hot due to the nearby sea but there are other factors.
Just like Athens, high pressure if i'm right is a dominate feature in summer in mediterranean climates so the air will just get warmer. Also Athens is located in an enclosed sea so temperatures can get higher due to less mixing of cooler waters to replace the warmer water.
To compare lisbon is on the same latitude but is much cooler due to the cooling effect of the OPEN Atlatic ocean.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Dubai shouldn't be as hot due to the nearby sea but there are other factors.
Just like Athens, high pressure if i'm right is a dominate feature in summer in mediterranean climates so the air will just get warmer. Also Athens is located in an enclosed sea so temperatures can get higher due to less mixing of cooler waters to replace the warmer water.
To compare lisbon is on the same latitude but is much cooler due to the cooling effect of the OPEN Atlatic ocean.
People underestimate the ocean temperatures in how hot/cold a climate can be. Take the coast of California in summer. Eureka's July high is a chilly 64F or so! That's cooler than Anchorage, two thousand km away. Whereas a few miles inland it's closer to 80F. The Persian Gulf gets extremely hot in summer, along with the Red Sea some of the highest SST's in the world, typically 32'C+, beginning to feel like a warm bath. Ever been swimming in the tropics, maybe the Caribbean? Well imagine something hotter still, with no 'coolness' whatsoever when you get into the water. Couple that with the heat of Arabia and you'll understand Dubai's oppressive heat.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People underestimate the ocean temperatures in how hot/cold a climate can be. Take the coast of California in summer. Eureka's July high is a chilly 64F or so! That's cooler than Anchorage, two thousand km away. Whereas a few miles inland it's closer to 80F. The Persian Gulf gets extremely hot in summer, along with the Red Sea some of the highest SST's in the world, typically 32'C+, beginning to feel like a warm bath. Ever been swimming in the tropics, maybe the Caribbean? Well imagine something hotter still, with no 'coolness' whatsoever when you get into the water. Couple that with the heat of Arabia and you'll understand Dubai's oppressive heat.
Yeah, also Mar del Plata at 36S and with cool summers, specially compared to Athens one, and thats because atlantic ocean there its so cool (between 17 and 20c in summer, much cooler in other seasons, if it gets a cold current from antartica it can get also much cooler in summer too).

Old 12-14-2012, 08:24 PM

23 posts, read 41,705 times
The thing that makes the most difference is how deep the sea is. The Persian Gulf is extremely shallow and marshy so it doesn't have a maritime influence at all, also as other people have already said small and/or shallow bodies of water get hot quickly.
Judging from google maps the sea around Athens doesn't seem that deep either

There are other examples in the world where a body of water does not produce a considerable maritime effect (Adriatic Sea, Caspian Sea, Baltic Sea to some extent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather