Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 10:39 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomaster2004 View Post
My point about latitude you seemed to have misunderstood: Yes, I know that the VERY TIP of NZ is at 34 S....but 98% of the rest of New Zealand is north of 35 latitude....unlike the subtropics in Australia and the Deep South USA that is located between 25 to 34 latitude, where the sun is stronger and has a higher angle. I think seasonal temp comparisons speak for themselves - it's warmer in spring in Brisbane/Queensland or the USA Deep South, than in peak summer anywhere in NZ.

I think it's foolish to compare higher latitudes like New Zealand (which is mostly between 38 and 47 latitude) with subtropical latitudes (25 to 34 N/S) in terms of temps, sun angle...etc.
You seem to have misunderstood my point, which is nothing about temperatures. I've been to 34"S in early spring. The sun during spring there doesn't feel anywhere as strong as it does here in mid summer at 41"S.

If you're going to take 4 degrees of latitude off NZ, to suit your argument, we may as well lop them off the bottom as well. So now we have New New Zealand, Lat 38-43"S

Last edited by Joe90; 07-04-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:57 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,616 times
Such meanders of the jet stream in mid summer like this one we'll have here tomorrow doesn't fit too much with truly subtropical mediterranean climates:

Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,099 times
Those charts are a load of crap. Unbelievable how there's always a blasted tongue of cold air right over the UK EVERY SINGLE SUMMER. 8°C 850hpa isotherm bloody 1000 miles south as always.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM

68 posts, read 93,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustinbieber View Post
I know that New York City is technically humid subtropical, which sounds really weird since the winters are so cold and snowy.

My definition is all 12 months have a monthly mean of 50 F+, but what do you guys think?
I don't think that the NYC metropolitan area can truly be considered just Cfa (Humid Subtropical Climate), but a combination of 3 different climate areas.

In the northern Neighborhoods and outlying suburbs of NYC, you have Dfa (Humid Continental Climate) being farther from the ocean and more subjected to Temperature Extremes. You have Cfa in the more coastal areas, especially on Long Island, but even that is just too cool. You also have Cfb (Oceanic Climate) on coastal areas characterized by cool weather and rainy pretty much all year.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 AM

750 posts, read 741,179 times
8+ months of average temps of 50+ and no month below freezing. So, under my definition, Washington DC does not qualify but Charlotte, North Carolina does. Richmond, Virginia is borderline.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog79 View Post
I don't think that the NYC metropolitan area can truly be considered just Cfa (Humid Subtropical Climate), but a combination of 3 different climate areas.

In the northern Neighborhoods and outlying suburbs of NYC, you have Dfa (Humid Continental Climate) being farther from the ocean and more subjected to Temperature Extremes. You have Cfa in the more coastal areas, especially on Long Island, but even that is just too cool. You also have Cfb (Oceanic Climate) on coastal areas characterized by cool weather and rainy pretty much all year.
Yes, Central Westchester County and above are Dfa, the 5 boroughs and the western 2/3's of Long Island are Cfa, Eastern Long Island is Oceanic Cfb.
The little area of Suffolk County called the Pine Barrens tends to have very cold winter nights so it may be considred Dfa

Old 10-22-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Eastern Long Island is Oceanic Cfb.
Any links supporting this assertion?

I'm doubtful this area could be considered Cfb, even if it does have a cooler summer. It's weather patterns would still lack the defining features of Oceanic climates.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Any links supporting this assertion?

I'm doubtful this area could be considered Cfb, even if it does have a cooler summer. It's weather patterns would still lack the defining features of Oceanic climates.

Montauk, NY is very very close to being Cfb
Montauk, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearby Block Island is defintely Cfb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Island

Last edited by Port North; 10-22-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Montauk, NY is very very close to being Cfb
Montauk, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks-very interesting. I still don't see how this is Cfb (or even close) though. Oceanic climates are defined by a continuation of the same weather systems/patterns throughout the year. Montauk weather systems/patterns would seem to be the same as the rest of the region, although with a higher degree of moderation due to proximity to the sea.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Thanks-very interesting.Montauk weather systems/patterns would seem to be the same as the rest of the region, although with a higher degree of moderation due to proximity to the sea.
That's why, because of the moderation. If you have ever been in far Eastern Long Island, it has a much windier, cooler, Oceanic feel in the summer than areas immediately to the west. Especially areas in the extreme east such as Montauk and Orient Point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather