U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: At what temperature do you start to put on your winter coat?
A) as soon as the temperature falls below 20C/68F 3 2.01%
B) 15C-19C/ 59F-66F 7 4.70%
C) 10C-14C/ 50F -57F 19 12.75%
D) 5C-9C/ 41F-48F 42 28.19%
E) 0C-4C/ 32-39F 39 26.17%
F) -5C to -1C/ 23F to 30F 21 14.09%
G) -10 to -6C/14F to 21F 11 7.38%
H) below -10C/ 14F 7 4.70%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 AM

5,897 posts, read 4,464,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Goes to show how weather tolerance depends on each person - I wear a hoodie to the grocery store in 0c weather (a heavy coat if I go for a walk though). You probably barley go outdoors during winter nights with a low of 0c in January

You would hate winter and summer here but you should visit nonetheless. I am thinking of visiting the west in a few years (Banff, Vancouver, or Osoyoos) - which is the best?

All of the tourists I meet here in Niagara from BC/UK most often say the same thing:
In the winter its "extremely windy" (its really the cold that they think is wind) and in summer they say its "extremely humid" (never anything about the heat - just that they 'can't breathe' in the humidity?)

It is all justified based on tolerance
You're right. It is all based on what you are used to. I also find that the same temp doesn't necessarily feel the same everywhere. It depends on a lot of factors such as humidity level, wind, sunny, rainy etc. I find 0c here tends to feel a lot colder here than it would in most of Ontario due to the very high humidity in the air which chills you to the bone as well as having almost no sunshine whatsoever. I lived in Ottawa for a while and while it gets a lot colder there, the humidity was udually much lower in the winter, so the same temp would always feel colder in Vancouver. I imagine being by the great lakes would be a lot more humid though and would prob feel almost as bad as here. If you come out west, I'd recommend you visit both the Okanagan and Vancouver Island, both distinct but awesome areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

486 posts, read 179,449 times
I don't have a coat - even if it's -10c 14f outside I just wear a light jacket.

I have got layers, though, a t-shirt, a shirt, a cashmere sweater etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM

111 posts, read 105,641 times
E for me. I wait until it's right around freezing to wear a coat. Even then I don't drive in one.
Fun poll, OP.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM

8,993 posts, read 4,895,368 times
I have a bunch of different winter coats. I start wearing the lightest one when it's around 40F. My warmest one, which I really like by the way I can't wear unless it's below -20 or I'll roast. My usual winter wear is a snowboarding coat. Plenty warm enough and waterproof if it rains.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM

1,476 posts, read 699,049 times
D for me

Old 01-15-2013, 04:17 PM

3,901 posts, read 5,298,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
You're right. It is all based on what you are used to. I also find that the same temp doesn't necessarily feel the same everywhere.
I didn't realize this until I moved to DC first, and then to northern California - both places which are more humid than where I grew up in the Southwest. The humidity makes winters more clammy and chilly. When we first moved to Sunnyvale from Colorado, we were kind of laughing at everyone bundled up in scarfs and hats in 45 degree weather, then we started to realize the clamminess actually seeps into your bones and chills you. So while in Colorado you can be outside at 45 deg in a light jacket, here in Sunnyvale you really need something heavier to keep the warmth in.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM

5,115 posts, read 2,850,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
By winter coat, I mean a real heavy winter coat that zips or buttons up, not just a cardigan/sweater/jumper.
A heavy winter coat? That really depends on whether it's raining/snowing or sunny/cloudy, as well as the wind chill effect, but I'm assuming dry, calm, and cloudy weather (EDIT: the OP requested those preconditions ). In that scenario my heavy coat comes out when it gets below 25F or so. The temperature range that best conforms to when I put on my coat would be option G, 14F to 21F.

If it's cloudy and quite windy, it's not unusual for me to wear such a coat when it's as warm as 40F. When it's sunny and calm I don't put on my winter coat until it reaches around 10F, and I put on a heavy coat in snowy weather even if it's 36F.

As I expected, 30-39F carries the plurality, but I'm surprised how many people bring out the heavy coats when it's above 40F. It strikes me as quite wimpy, but I guess the wimps vote too . 23-30F comes in at number three.

For what it's worth, assuming dry and calm weather, I don't wear my parka until it's colder than 0F or so. When playing in the snow, I always wear my parka, but I'm assuming that the OP is talking more about a brief walk type of affair, where you're not wallowing in the snow .

When it's 32F/0C and I'm going for brief periods outside (like from house to car and from car to grocery store), if it's sunny I don't wear any coat at all. It's shorts, short sleeves, and sandals for me. If it's cloudy or light/moderate snow I typically have a light jacket on with the shorts and sandals (weird, I know, but it works for me). If it's windy I dress more for wind chill than the actual temperature, and if it's a blizzard I would be dressed like a man from the arctic (but seeing as I'm never going to get groceries in a blizzard that's just hypothetical).

Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM

2,962 posts, read 1,157,957 times
G/H. About 15 degrees F / -9 degrees C.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM

4,139 posts, read 5,531,033 times
I voted D
I notice though that a lot of people are overdressed when it is sweltering hot in summer, and underdressed when temperatures are somewhat chilly but not ice cold, like around 40/50F...

Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,471,044 times
Living in a cold winter climate.....it all depends on how long you will be outside. That is the determining factor. Just going out....driving to the local store...and you are only outside while walking from the car to the store entrance....I rarely have a big winter coat. I would have to be -10F or colder for that. 20F or above....light jacket...above 35F short sleeve shirt.

Now for a walk around the block or a longer period outside....the threshold is of course higher. Heavy coat below 10F.....light jacket 30F to 45F....above 45F no coat.

I am very cold tolerant...unlike heat....which I sweat like crazy when it is above 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather