Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Record cold, record snows, late Ice melts in Alaska. Temps at 4000' plunging to 5 below zero (F)! Cold Surface temps!
Oh wow so from your diagrams could there be some of kind of cooling trend across the Northern Hemisphere then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why wouldn't any weather enthusiast be jealous? Getting a frost in May and June is superb. I hate our summers a frost is nice and refreshing.
I like having healthy plant growth, late spring frosts can damage plants. After a long, cold winter, I want the cold to be done with. A late spring frost has no interest to me, they're just nuisances. What benefit is it to have a few hours of unusually cold temperatures that could damage the local vegetation, and force me to dig up an additional layer. We had a frost two days ago, I was frustrated.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Lets hope so then next winter will be freezing cold.

I just cannot fathom how its soo hot in Scandavia. It never seems to get really cold there. The standard deviation there for its latitude must be even higher than here at 55. Looking at that map I am at the same kind of temperatures as them over there.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't any weather enthusiast be jealous? Getting a frost in May and June is superb. I hate our summers a frost is nice and refreshing.
Anyway, England isn't really capable of those kind of temperatures at late spring its too cloudy and full of urban heat islands.
We're perfectly capable, more capable than Northern Ireland - Winchester in Hampshire fell below freezing last night, and last year I fell below freezing in May twice. Remember, Owen, we have very potent frost hollows here that fall far lower than anywhere in Northern Ireland, and the record low in England is lower than in Northern Ireland in every single month of the year, with -9.4C in May and -5.6C in June, both of which were recorded in East Anglia. Air frost in June is also a fairly common occurrence in Northern England in places like Shap and Redesdale Camp.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:48 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Oh wow so from your diagrams could there be some of kind of cooling trend across the Northern Hemisphere then?
Some truth to that. Here's a look at the 850mb temps. You can see the northern jet stream is clearly north of U.S in Canada BUT notice all the blues and pinks. (below freezing)

I'm not sure how this relates to the norm but thats showing there's still ALOT of cold air outside the poles in the northern Hem. And when you get these dips (like current one in Alaska) it drives that cold air southward (like Alaska). I dont think the U.S will see these dips anymore except maybe New England.

Not familiar with other areas to make a call.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I like having healthy plant growth, late spring frosts can damage plants. After a long, cold winter, I want the cold to be done with. A late spring frost has no interest to me, they're just nuisances. What benefit is it to have a few hours of unusually cold temperatures that could damage the local vegetation, and force me to dig up an additional layer. We had a frost two days ago, I was frustrated.
Well the frost had no impact. When we get these summer air frosts its only below 0c for 1 hour maximum. So that really wont do anything and even if the air is subzero then the ground wont.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well the frost had no impact. When we get these summer air frosts its only below 0c for 1 hour maximum. So that really wont do anything and even if the air is subzero then the ground wont.
Mine didn't, either, though the weather station reported several hours. Still risky, and just weather I have little interest in. I wish my climate was free of late spring frosts. Not everyone has the same weather interests

On a happier note, 52°F this morning! I can have the window open comfortably.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Some truth to that. Here's a look at the 850mb temps. You can see the northern jet stream is clearly north of U.S in Canada BUT notice all the blues and pinks. (below freezing)

I'm not sure how this relates to the norm but thats showing there's still ALOT of cold air outside the poles in the northern Hem. And when you get these dips (like current one in Alaska) it drives that cold air southward (like Alaska). I dont think the U.S will see these dips anymore except maybe New England.

On the other hand, eastern Europe and Scandavia is warmer than usual. And western Canada might be, too.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:58 AM

Well whatever. I just understand how a frost of -1c for 1 hour can be killing. Even if it was -5c here 3 nights in a row I still dont think it would be killing.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:

I remember something about Beijing recording one of the earliest -10 temperature last year and Blizzard in the Northeastern United states there seems to be a constant stream of cold weather events that are slightly out of the norm.

It snowed over here in England I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather