Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

How often are snow maps made on memorial day weekend? LOL

Coldest Memorial Day Weekend in Decades

Coldest Memorial Day Weekend in Decades

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 11:16 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Boy, you're confused. Below is what I said:
I think you might be confused about your post:

This is what you said:

Coastal Connecticut has a long way to go before having the first heat wave of the Spring (June in CT is more Summer than Spring, but whatever).

Now if that was NOT what you were trying to say (or I misunderstood the way you said it?) they yes we agree, June IS more like summer in CT than spring.

Hmmm...if the WC is saying that then then are worse than I thought.

The forecast along the CT coast from the NWS has cities from Stamford to New Haven in the low to mid 60's for Sunday and upper 60's to near 70 on Monday. Maybe your looking at their old forecasts.

You can see the NYC forecast (just to the east of Stamford - New haven) above...but I'll post again :

Seems that only Sat will see any rain....and that is less than 20% now. Also, I see no high temps below 60 F on any NWS grids for NYC or southern CT. The whole world doesn't live in Northern New England - lol.

Seems you want to try to hype a few hrs of showers and cool weather as much as you can, but hey that's fine

Last edited by wavehunter007; 05-24-2013 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Now if that was NOT what you were trying to say (or I misunderstood the way you said it?) they yes we agree, June IS more like summer in CT than spring.
You totally misunderstood my original post, and yes, we agree on that point.

Quote:
Hmmm...if the WC is saying that then then are worse than I thought.
Do you mean The Weather Channel? They're saying the same thing as any other forecasting service, and I notice that when they forecast heat you don't hesitate to trot out their maps.

Quote:
The forecast along the CT coast from the NWS has cities from Stamford to New Haven in the low to mid 60's for Sunday and upper 60's to near 70 on Monday. Maybe your looking at their old forecasts.
These are the three points that you need to understand:

1. I am talking about SATURDAY .
2. Saturday is part of the weekend.
3. I am not talking about Sunday or Monday.

Quote:
Seems you want to try to hype a few hrs of showers and cool weather as much as you can, but hey that's fine
A few hours of cool weather? The morning low is around 50F and the afternoon high is forecast by every weather service to be in the 50's - that's an entire day, but if you want to downplay it as "just a few hours" and deny the existence of 50F rain on the weekend that's fine with me. Honestly, if anyone is hyping a few hours of weather it's you, seeing as there will be many more hours in the 50's on Saturday than there will be hours in the 60's on Sunday.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I tend to doubt there will be any frost anywhere in the USA. Maybe up in the very top of the northern Great Lakes or Maine.
Quote:
All that I have to say is that I've seen this movie before...
But the re-runs are always entertaining.

Current Watches and Warnings, pretty sure it will get filled in more once NWS wakes up a bit

Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM

A months worth of rains yesterday washed away roads in Vermont! Rivers swelled like crazy

Some Vt. roads flooded, closed after heavy rain - Connecticut Post

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Seems that only Sat will see any rain....and that is less than 20% now. Also, I see no high temps below 60 F on any NWS grids for NYC or southern CT. The whole world doesn't live in Northern New England - lol.

Eh. You don't have to go to Northern New England to get below 60s highs. Hartford, maybe 30 miles from the coast has a high 55°F on Saturday, 59°F on Sunday:

NOAA National Weather Service

For myself, my average high is 73°F. The 90°F we got a few days back is as nearly as much an anamoly as the 54°F forecast tomorrow. The 66°F low two nights ago was 20°F above average.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM

In its 2013 Atlantic hurricane season outlook issued today, NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting an active or extremely active season this year.

For the six-month hurricane season, which begins June 1, NOAA’s Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook says there is a 70 percent likelihood of 13 to 20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 7 to 11 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (Category 3, 4 or 5; winds of 111 mph or higher).

These ranges are well above the seasonal average of 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes.

“With the devastation of Sandy fresh in our minds, and another active season predicted, everyone at NOAA is committed to providing life-saving forecasts in the face of these storms and ensuring that Americans are prepared and ready ahead of time.” said Kathryn Sullivan, Ph.D., NOAA acting administrator. “As we saw first-hand with Sandy, it’s important to remember that tropical storm and hurricane impacts are not limited to the coastline. Strong winds, torrential rain, flooding, and tornadoes often threaten inland areas far from where the storm first makes landfall.”

Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Eh. You don't have to go to Northern New England to get below 60s highs. Hartford, maybe 30 miles from the coast has a high 55°F on Saturday, 59°F on Sunday:

NOAA National Weather Service

For myself, my average high is 73°F. The 90°F we got a few days back is as nearly as much an anamoly as the 54°F forecast tomorrow. The 66°F low two nights ago was 20°F above average.
My point was that I saw no highs this whole weekend below 60 F in the NYC metro area (NYNY/NJ/southern CT). Also, a geographic note - I think Hartford is like 45 miles from the coast/Long Island Sound, not sure though.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
But hey….hype, spin, twist away…it's fun to laugh at. lol
Not the hype card again . The two facts are; one, Saturday is part of the weekend; and two, every major forecasting service says 50's, rain, and wind for Saturday. Therefore, 50's, rain, and wind are occurring on the weekend. 60's and sunshine are going to be occurring on the weekend, too, but that does not negate the existence of the 50's and rain. That is, unless you can come into possession of a device like this guy has :

Anyway, it's not as if you're in need a temporal incursion - warm weather will return to NYC and Connecticut within a day or two, and we'll look upon this whole episode and laugh. I'm already laughing on the inside. You have to admit that that graphic is a little funny...alright, not really, but you get the point. There are some weather events I'd like to erase from history .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
But the re-runs are always entertaining.
Not really, but it never hurts to have confirmation, and it's nice to give Wavehunter a taste of his own medicine - using those NWS/TWC maps and so forth. As for his skepticism about frost, in all fairness I have to point out that he said "tend to doubt", but it does feel like a re-run. Of course eventually the frost will be expelled from the lower 48 for the balance of the season, and this bout of chilly weather will be the last widespread frost event for the East barring the (remote) possibility of a rogue frost sometime in June.

Quote:
Current Watches and Warnings, pretty sure it will get filled in more once NWS wakes up a bit
The brown counties are under a wind advisory. Whytheville, Virginia could have 40 mph wind gusts today with a high of 58F. 30's are forecast tonight for most of SW Virginia. The wind comes as a surprise to me, but windy weather is more common for the Blue Ridge region than it is in the lowlands.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not the hype card again . The two facts are; one, Saturday is part of the weekend; and two, every major forecasting service says 50's, rain, and wind for Saturday. Therefore, 50's, rain, and wind are occurring on the weekend. 60's and sunshine are going to be occurring on the weekend, too, but that does not negate the existence of the 50's and rain. That is, unless you can come into possession of a device like this guy has :

Anyway, it's not as if you're in need a temporal incursion - warm weather will return to NYC and Connecticut within a day or two, and we'll look upon this whole episode and laugh. I'm already laughing on the inside.

Not really, but it never hurts to have confirmation, and it's nice to give Wavehunter a taste of his own medicine - using those NWS/TWC maps and so forth. As for his skepticism about frost, in all fairness I have to point out that he said "tend to doubt", but it does feel like a re-run. Of course eventually the frost will be expelled from the lower 48 for the balance of the season, and this bout of chilly weather will be the last widespread frost event for the East barring the (remote) possibility of a rogue frost sometime in June.

The brown counties are under a wind advisory. Whytheville, Virginia could have 40 mph wind gusts today with a high of 58F. 30's are forecast tonight for most of SW Virginia. The wind comes as a surprise to me, but windy weather is more common for the Blue Ridge region than it is in the lowlands.

You just proved eveything I said....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather