Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 07:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

I've never had the flu either. The worst illness I've ever had was diarrhea and sickness when I was a kid. Never had anything as bad as that since, and that wasn't really bad. Recently, my mother and sister both came down with a severe stomach bug and they were in constant pain with vomiting and diarrhea - I was in contact with both before quite frequently and I was the only one who didn't get it. I guess I'm just lucky, but I've never been seriously ill. The worst I get is an occasional cold with a cough and the sniffles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
But lets face it the south east of england is the only place in the uk that gets a even tolerable summer. South east of england covers are very small proportion of the country.
Average highs in a large part of Yorkshire, say, Hull - York - Leeds - Sheffield, average above 21C in summer. According to the Met Office average maps, a small area just to the south east of Leeds averages above 22C in the warmest month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Really?! Your immune system must be terrible. Either that or your injection has milk in it.

The worst injection I had was for yellow fever, I thought my arm was gonna fall off
Yes but this is northern ireland not the south coast of england. They dont get a winter in my eyes.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
As for myself, I haven't gotten a flu shot since 2004 and since then I've only had the flu once (in 2010). During the period when I got flu shots I got the flu more often than I have in recent years, but then again I was under more stress at that time. Anyway, it is a well-known fact that the civilian flu vaccines only protect against a few of the multitude of flu strains, so even if it is effective against those few strains it won't protect you at all against all the others.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Really?! Your immune system must be terrible. Either that or your injection has milk in it.

The worst injection I had was for yellow fever, I thought my arm was gonna fall off
I should also mention that when I made the transition from Am/Af to Dfa/Dfb the first couple years I got sick constantly in winter. It's when I moved here to Dfa/Cfa that I almost stopped getting sick. I think my body doesn't handle drastic climate transitions as smoothly as I'd like it to, as a Cfb winter was a big shock to my system, something I've never experienced before

Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
It also depends who you are with.. Schools. Hint hint..

There is one classmate who constantly has a cold. I stay away from her because she sneeze everywhere and was responsible for my last two colds.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Default Hmmmm

A new record (since 2004) for snow cover over normal for Northern Hemisphere.

Snowcover for the Northern Hemisphere continues to be above normal. In fact, it hasnt been below normal for the entire winter.

Another fact is, Only 10 times since 2004 have we touched these levels and never this late (mid April).
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/snow/

Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never had the flu either. The worst illness I've ever had was diarrhea and sickness when I was a kid. Never had anything as bad as that since, and that wasn't really bad. Recently, my mother and sister both came down with a severe stomach bug and they were in constant pain with vomiting and diarrhea - I was in contact with both before quite frequently and I was the only one who didn't get it. I guess I'm just lucky, but I've never been seriously ill. The worst I get is an occasional cold with a cough and the sniffles.

Average highs in a large part of Yorkshire, say, Hull - York - Leeds - Sheffield, average above 21C in summer. According to the Met Office average maps, a small area just to the south east of Leeds averages above 22C in the warmest month.
Haven't been sick for two years myself. Always had a really strong immune system. Worst I ever had was had a stomach bug and I was sick for a week, other than that it had been the rare cold.

Flu shots also don't bother me thankfully.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:15 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,415,160 times
It is not correct to blame our climate on getting colds when coming here (for those that have done). It isn't the climate, it's just that your probably being exposed to a range of germs you haven't encountered before, due to being in a different location, so you have no resistance to them and get ill.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Snowfall forecast: More snow on the way for some of the same areas as last week.

I pasted the snowfall data for Bismark, ND. Most April snow was in 1997 with 15". 2nd most was 11.9" in 1884 & 1937. TWC forecasting that area to get 12-18" of snow.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=bis

Last edited by Cambium; 04-13-2013 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Added Snow Data to pic

Old 04-13-2013, 12:10 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Snowfall forecast: More snow on the way for some of the same areas as last week.

I pasted the snowfall data for Bismark, ND. Most April snow was in 1997 with 15". 2nd most was 11.9" in 1884 & 1937. TWC forecasting that area to get 12-18" of snow.

National Weather Service Climate
That explains the clouds I was watching this morning. We are having a rerun of 1997

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather