Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Recently on the news there has been quite a lot of coverage in the small town of Midland City, AL (5 year old hostage). I couldn't help but notice how the area looked almost the same as my area around here. The grass looks brown/ green, and a lot of dead trees. This part of Alabama is around 80 miles inland from the coast.

I looked at the weather stats for the area and found this:

November avg high/low = 69/43F with lowest temp of 28F and two nights 32f or below for entire month
December " " = 65/44F with lowest temp of 28F and three nights 32f or below for month
January " " = 68/47F with lowest temp of 32F and two nights 32F or below for entire month
February " " = 62/36F with lowest temp of 32F on one night so far

My area has had a low of 12F, and has been much colder every month than this part of Alabama.

Anyone know why the area looks so much less subtropical than other subtropical locations around the world. New Zeland where Joe90 lives gets colder than 28F, yet his area looks much more evergreen.

Here is a pic of the area from two days ago:

That looks like summer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Interesting. Lots of deciduous trees would help with that look, Plenty of deciduous trees here, but not en masse, apart from orchards or rivers (willows). The grass in the pic doesn't look to have been headed, which gives it that dry look, even if it's still growing underneath.

It could just be that particular day or the photo quality, but the sky doesn't have the bright blue look typical of winter and colours in general look a bit muted. Perhaps higher dewpoints give it that hazy look?
62f is perfect for growing. Infact growing will persist through the period.

Our high is sometimes lower than that in the summer and grass grows like hell.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
London isn't really warmer than Atlanta, it is just that London has warmer low temps.

The avg Jan min in London is 36F, while in Atlanta it is 34F. London avg monthly temp in Jan is around 41F, while Atlanta is 43F. However, Atlanta is in USDA zone 8a (lowest temp each winter between 10F-15F), while London is in zone 9a (lowest temp between 20F-25F).

I think though the diff is that the extreme lows each winter are about 10F colder in Atlanta.

But the pic I posted above is of an area that has been quite a bit warmer than anywhere in the UK with temps all winter in the 60's and an extreme min temp of 28F.

The grass is probably brown looking cause it is warm weather grass, but you also don't see any flowering plants around, or other signs of the subtropics.
No way we can compare London with Atlanta. Not the same at all.

And it doesn't matter what the low is, the average high affects grass growth. If its below around 7c the grass will not grow at all. In Atlanta the average high if 11c...

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
I don't think the summer heat controls things. Deciduous trees are an adaptation for winter periods of no growth. Alabama has those trees because that's what evolved there, even if the conditions in the present era are different. just like bush in NZ evolved in response to past conditions and as a result grow 12 months of the year

Introduced plants are a useful guide. Where are the Acacias, Eucalyptus, palms, subtropical fruits, Cactus/succulents in those photos of Midland? Go to subtropical regions of the world and these are signature plants for a certain level of winter mildness. They would all handle an Alabama summer, so should be there if winters don't get killing cold periods every so often.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Grass goes dormant under 60f doesnt it?
NO!

If thats the case it would never grow here! I don't people realise how warm 60F actually is.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
NO!

If thats the case it would never grow here!
Only certain grasses do, ours goes dormant in the winter except in California and the Gulf coast and Florida.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Well clearly we have a different type of grass here.

Because if that Southern Grass was here it would be black () in the winter and brown in the summer.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
That looks like summer to me.

Seriously? Are all the leaves off the trees in NI in summer? I doubt it.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM

To me that looks like Summer. Honestly. It does not look like winter one Iota. Sorry but no.

And actually the leaves do not go on until may.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:26 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think the summer heat controls things. Deciduous trees are an adaptation for winter periods of no growth. Alabama has those trees because that's what evolved there, even if the conditions in the present era are different. just like bush in NZ evolved in response to past conditions and as a result grow 12 months of the year

Introduced plants are a useful guide. Where are the Acacias, Eucalyptus, palms, subtropical fruits, Cactus/succulents in those photos of Midland? Go to subtropical regions of the world and these are signature plants for a certain level of winter mildness. They would all handle an Alabama summer, so should be there if winters don't get killing cold periods every so often.

It makes sense what you're saying. I'm thinking though that the decidious trees there were planted by people, and maybe not all are native. I think if the area had your cooler summer weather it would look more lush in winter because the grass would be very green and would keep growing through winter. The summer heat prevents them from growing your type of grasses.

Dothan, Alabama (Midland is right outside Dothan) is about 80 miles from the coast. What is great about the internet is I just googled a nursery in Dothan and asked if citrus and Canary Island Date Palms grow in Dothan. The guy emailed back pretty quick. I assume that people that grew up in the nursery industry know a lot about what grows in an area.

Here is his reply:

I was surprised about his comment on bananas since I've heard from people on the citrus forum that people in southern Alabama are growing edible bananas and enjoying the fruit they produce. Then I realized that Dothan and Midland are well past the magic 50 mile distance from the coast (it's about 80 miles inland).

Bill Finch knows a lot about subtropical growing in south Alabama. There is a Citrus Expo in the US each year and he is a frequent guest lecturer there. Apparently the only limiting factor for citrus is picking the varieties that ripen earlier in winter since freezes in midwinter will damage the fruit, not the tree. I found this from one of his blogs on Alabama gardening (sorry for the long length):

There was more, but I think this shows the area is def capable of growing
those subtropicals you mentioned. Seems strange to me the area just doesn't
look subtropical. The author made the point about how people there are more
comfortable growing apples, which don't do well there, than growing the things
which will taste a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather