Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times

Advertisements

I pulled out all the stops this cold season (meaning I saved all my pennies – lol) and left for Florida on December 15th. This year I went deeper into Florida on winter break. I made it all the way down to 24.9 north (Key Largo). Last year I never went much below 29 north latitude/St. Augustine. Overall it has been a nice winter for the last 45 days in south Florida – I managed to do some snorkeling, swimming, surfing, laid on the beach, went to several rainforest gardens, and saw several tropical/subtropical ecosystems (I tried to get some palm pics for you tropical clime fans). Although anywhere in Florida is pure paradise for the WWF in winter – the more I see, the more I think there really is a difference (at least IMO) between Aw/Tropical savanna Florida and Cfa /Humid subtropical Florida.

The first climatic difference was in the weather – day after day the highs in south Florida were steadily in the 75 – 83 F range (lows mostly in the 60’s F) and sunny day after day. The warm night air with just a touch of moisture - felt much more tropical than the drier air of subtropical Florida. On the other hand, while the days were mild (often in the 70’s F) in winter in St. Augustine last year – the nights did not feel tropical(ish) –they were often below 50 F. In truth, there seemed to be little “weather” in the last 45 days in tropical south Florida. Here were my temps over the last 45 days (December 12 to 31 was similar):

Another climatic difference that I never thought of… was how much FASTER the day seemed to warm in tropical south Florida vs subtropical north Florida. As I remember last year in St. Augustine, most people didn’t seem to hit the beach to lay in the sun or go in the ocean until after 1:00 pm… yet in tropical south Florida as early as 10:00 am people were already on the beach laying in the sun – and the temps were already over 70 F. I snapped this pic about 10:00 am, people were already laying in the sun and in the ocean:

My condo is the smaller one in the front:

December sunrise at 25 north latitude:

On the way to Miami

The other big difference was in the animal plant life; Subtropical Cfa Florida, while of course still looking much different in winter than typical middle latitude climates (i.e northern USA/Canada/Europe/East Asia…etc.) – it still had a “warm temperate climate” look to it (more like southern Mediterranean, California, the Gulf coast, maybe warm temperate Australia and New Zealand…ect). Tropical south Florida had a different look – thick and lush undergrowth, lizards everywhere, wild coconuts, dense mangoves…etc. I snapped a few pics:

For the palm/WWF

Mangroves going toward Key Largo:

We spent the day at the Fairchild Tropical Garden just south of Miami - it was about 84 F and sunny - it sure didn't feel like December - lol:

Is there a difference between tropical south Florida and subtropical north Florida?

My answer I think is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:24 AM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
We need more wavehunters on the weather forum!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,921 times
Good post. I think I'd prefer northern Florida, though. I like a bit of variety.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
I've decided on the greater Miami area to move to when I retire or win the lottery whichever comes first. I already have relatives with a vacation home in the area plus I can easily drive or fly anywhere in North America from there. All things considered (not just climate), I've concluded it would be the best place for me to live full time.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Lucky you WH. I think you missed the worst that winter is going to throw at us this year. At least I'm hoping.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Glad to see WWF’s enjoyed the pictures. It has been a nice winter in south Florida.

I found a few more pics today WWF’s might find interesting: The Fairchild Botanical Garden just opened “Wings of the tropics”. This is a butterfly house that showcases tropical butterflies from the tropical regions of the Americas (South America, Central America, North America).

They have set up what can be best described as a massive building that has walls made of black netting (it looks like a large greenhouse) that keeps these tropical butterflies inside. So rare is the collection of butterflies, that people are only allowed inside the observatory in groups – and they must enter through a double door to keep any butterflies from ever escaping. The Morpho butterfly is one of many speices (and one of the strangest things I ever saw) . Morpho butterflies are colored in shimmering shades of blue and green. These colors are not a result of pigmentation – but of iridescence. The microscopic scales covering the Morpho's wings reflect incident light repeatedly at successive layers - thus the colors produced vary with viewing angle, often a shimming blue or green. It was quite strange - I felt like I was in a rainforest in the Amazon:

The structure had many tropical and subtropical plants that these tropical butterflies use for food and shelter:

The entrance to the butterfly garden (If you look close, you can see the tropical butterflies in each picture):

I was able to hold the camera steady enough to capture these residents of the tropics:

That Florida sun is always close:

Also, a few more palm pictures for WWF's.

The houses in Florida always amaze me - there are million dollar homes EVERYWHERE (can I spend winter here next year - lol):

Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Florida is such a beautiful state, underrated, that's for sure. I've decided to move to Fort Lauderdale after graduate school. Love the weather, beauty and beaches.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Florida is such a beautiful state, underrated, that's for sure. I've decided to move to Fort Lauderdale after graduate school. Love the weather, beauty and beaches.
Wow over Hawaii I'm surprised. Weren't you the guy posting about the surf temp being cold in Florida?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,071 times
Miami average temps for January of 2013 were HIGHER than Honolulu.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Wow over Hawaii I'm surprised. Weren't you the guy posting about the surf temp being cold in Florida?
I never said it was COLD, I said it wasn't as warm as Honolulu's surf temp in WINTER, by about two degrees, which isn't significant. And also, I will retire in Honolulu. I wanna major in Psychology, and there aren't any jobs for that in Honolulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather