Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate Kharkiv's climate?
A 6 9.68%
B 19 30.65%
C 13 20.97%
D 14 22.58%
E 7 11.29%
F 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
I can't believe that Kharkiv gets less sunshine than Stockholm. How Hong Kong Observatory's data is accurate? According to this map: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._hours_map.png, Kharkiv gets much more sunshine.
Don't know for Kharkiv's stats, but Stockholm is accurate. And why not? In spring and summer, when most of the sunshine is collected Stockholm have an advantage due to their longer days.
In winter, when Kharkiv have the advantage, you don't get much sun anyway, and the advantage is mostly wasted.

The Baltic Sea and interior Sweden usually disperses rain and cloud quite effectively, which makes the Baltic coast a quite sunny location. A colder climate doesn't always mean less sunshine, it depends on various factors.

I'd say for Northern Europe that map is mostly accurate, but that whole 2000-line is maybe a bit off. Don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 11:53 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Don't know for Kharkiv's stats, but Stockholm is accurate. And why not? In spring A colder climate doesn't always mean less sunshine, it depends on various factors.
I meant not "cold" and "warm" climates (And Stockholm's climate isn't colder than Kharkiv's. Winters in Stockholm are milder than in Kharkiv, through summers are cooler in Stockholm). Stockholm's climate is maritime, while Kharkiv's is continental. Plus more southern parts of Europe are usually sunnier because of influence of Azores High.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Stockholm is 'continental' until more recent data proves otherwise (cities like Berlin, Munich and Vienna are continental according to Koppen). Any climate that is capable of keeping a snow pack for 5 months, and recording a month with a mean max of -9C (Jan 1987) is not maritime in any way IMO.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:54 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Can't find an authoratitive source for Stockholm, but other ones cite it as having over 1900 hours of sunshine annually, compared with about 1770 for Kharkiv (this number from EducaPlus).

Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM

768 posts, read 653,921 times
For me it's too hot in summer and too dry year round. I would lower sunshine hours in summertime a little (-40 hours).
Winters are colder/better than ours.

B

Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Stockholm is 'continental' until more recent data proves otherwise (cities like Berlin, Munich and Vienna are continental according to Koppen). Any climate that is capable of keeping a snow pack for 5 months, and recording a month with a mean max of -9C (Jan 1987) is not maritime in any way IMO.
They are all oceanic according to Köppen. (The -3C January is indeed a bit low, should be 0C.) Stockholm is probably classified as oceanic if SMHI ever releases their 1981-2010 normals. And the 1986-1987 winter was exeptional and the coldest since WWII, in Helsinki January 1987 is the coldest ever recorded, probably in Stockholm as well. It's like saying July 2010 was a normal summer month.

And I don't think Stockholm has had a 5-month snowpack since the 1940s, maybe not even then. I'm not sure, it would require a extremely cold April.

Still, I agree with you. Stockholm is no way oceanic.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
I never said it was normal. When did I ever say that? I am merely saying that no oceanic climate is capable of such cold weather.

And Stockholm had a snow pack from early November until mid-late March in the winter of 2010/2011, so pretty close, and in the winter of 2009/2010, snow was constant from mid December until late March, with a very deep snow pack throughout most of January, February and March, and temperatures falling to -23C. Can't see any maritime climate achieving such a thing, even during colder winters. I think classing Stockholm as maritime is quite frankly ludicrous. It's more similar to Helsinki than Bergen.

And Koppen classifies both as continental.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,463,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Can't find an authoratitive source for Stockholm, but other ones cite it as having over 1900 hours of sunshine annually, compared with about 1770 for Kharkiv (this number from EducaPlus).
1770 seems rather low for such a dry city.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,597,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
1770 seems rather low for such a dry city.
I've found that source to be pretty reliable. The number also agrees with old maps which show a very large region of northern Asia under 2000 hours (along with the general comment on Russia: "cloudy despite its continentality").

Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I never said it was normal. When did I ever say that? I am merely saying that no oceanic climate is capable of such cold weather.

And Stockholm had a snow pack from early November until mid-late March in the winter of 2010/2011, so pretty close, and in the winter of 2009/2010, snow was constant from mid December until late March, with a very deep snow pack throughout most of January, February and March, and temperatures falling to -23C. Can't see any maritime climate achieving such a thing, even during colder winters. I think classing Stockholm as maritime is quite frankly ludicrous. It's more similar to Helsinki than Bergen.

And Koppen classifies both as continental.
You didn't say, I just feel a bit uncomfortable to use the coldest month ever as an example. And the 2010/2011 winter was exceptional as well. Now they have had a continuous snow cover since Nov 29, so let's see how long it lasts!

Yes, continental on the map there, but he classified the coldest month to have a mean of -3C to be classified as continental, something none of those Central European cities don't meet anymore. Berlin has a mean of 0.5C in January.
IMHO the Köppen map should be revised seriously, as the climate has changed a lot in norther latitudes since then and Köppen had very little data from few weather stations on his hands. That's why that large ridiculous 'subarctic' area in southern France is there.

But we don't exactly still disagree upon anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather