Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times

Advertisements

Another hot night DAMNIT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Lovely sunny 22 C today. But it's obvious that winter is right around the corner. The sun effectively sets at 4 PM as it's at such a low angle that horizontal obstructions block it out unless you're in the middle of a large field or something. Still two months until the solstice -- it's going to get a lot worse!

Old 04-24-2013, 12:35 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Lovely sunny 22 C today. But it's obvious that winter is right around the corner. The sun effectively sets at 4 PM as it's at such a low angle that horizontal obstructions block it out unless you're in the middle of a large field or something. Still two months until the solstice -- it's going to get a lot worse!
Ideally you want to be on a west-facing hill slope, just high enough to be above the "blockers".

Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Can any current / former Sydney residents confirm or deny these "icy westerlies"? Looking at daily weather observations it doesn't look that bad. Are strong, cold westerlies a common feature of Sydney's climate?
Coming from Sydney orginally, and spending over 2 decades there, I would say no.
Occasionally they can last for 3-4 days, as I can recall mainly in August-October.
The more common unfavourable condition (depending on how you classify that) is onshore southeasterly "'rut weather"', with intermittent rain and cloud for several days on end.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:29 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Coming from Sydney orginally, and spending over 2 decades there, I would say no.
Occasionally they can last for 3-4 days, as I can recall mainly in August-October.
The more common unfavourable condition (depending on how you classify that) is onshore southeasterly "'rut weather"', with intermittent rain and cloud for several days on end.
Makes sense to me. I saw some of that crud one June attending a 2-week course, and was most relieved on the next trip in an August to get fine dry conditions. The S/SE in the June was quite miserable.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Can any current / former Sydney residents confirm or deny these "icy westerlies"? Looking at daily weather observations it doesn't look that bad. Are strong, cold westerlies a common feature of Sydney's climate?
Newcastle resident. Similar.

compared with Perth and even Bunbury, coastal nsw gets a lot of cool sunny winter days accompanied by strong winds. There is a definite lag in daytime warming and afternoon cooling compared with west coast Oz. So 8am, 8C with 35km/h westerlies, gusting to 45km/h+ is actually not terribly uncommon. More typical, a low of 5c and windy and its still only 10C at 9:30am with 30+km/h winds...

very often sunny winter days, the warmth of the sun is completely nullified by the constant wind.

not so in west coast Oz.
winter is a calmer time of year.
cold lows mean low wind speeds.
high winds mean a storm off the warm ocean,
so rather than being cold
it is typically above average ambient temps

more often than not, winter sun in WA still feels much warmer than the shade, due to stronger sun and/or gentler winds. Sunheated car temps correspondingly are noticeably higher in WA winter than in NSW at the same ambient shade temp.

my 2 cents

Old 04-24-2013, 05:56 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Makes sense to me. I saw some of that crud one June attending a 2-week course, and was most relieved on the next trip in an August to get fine dry conditions. The S/SE in the June was quite miserable.
Agree - having had a few Junes in Sydney they can be quite miserable with cool, showery conditions.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I think I prefer "rut weather" because in June 15C at sunset and even 7pm is common. Once the rain stops and clouds clear, forget about sunset temps above 13c and 10pm temps above 11C. I prefer the gentlest winter temps possible.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Another hot night DAMNIT
Wow even Brisbane hasn't had warm temps after sunset since March, I think....

Old 04-24-2013, 06:14 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Nice to hear about the greening up Yes they are . The park opposite my house is still spilling bits of water here and there. At work, the footpaths are covered with dark green moss and lots of little green fern bushes growing out of the brick walls which adds colour to the drab red walls. The building is 110 years old. What's the most 'recent' cloudy April btw?
Assuming the daily average of 6.9 hours continues (which it could well do given the forecast), the monthly total would only be around 210 hours. Will most likely be the cloudiest April since 1997 which had 203.7 hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather