Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,499,406 times

Advertisements

25C/77F yesterday, dropping down to 3C/38F this morning. Isolated patches of frost on the ground as well. Winter is getting closer.

I think it might be time to light the fire for tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM

284 posts, read 281,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
just another sunny morning only to be ruined by overcast by midday, interestingly it was clear as i drovre home from work at 7.30pm

This april has been nothing but mediocre in melbourne, not sunny at all and certainly not very warm unlike the rest of the nation as is ****en typical
Nice day today though! Totally clear

Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,043,808 times
Well, it feels as though winter has come a month early here with afternoon temps barely in the double digits. Forecast looks fairly dismal:

Today

2 May
Showers
14°C High
8°C Overnight
Periods of rain. Southerly.
Issued: 4:59pm 2 May

Tomorrow

3 May
Few showers
13°C High
5°C Overnight
Morning rain, then cloudy periods. Northeast develops.
Issued: 4:59pm 2 May

Saturday

4 May
Partly cloudy
20°C High
6°C Overnight
Increasing high cloud. Strengthening northeasterlies.
Issued: 1:17pm 2 May

Sunday

5 May
Rain
15°C High
5°C Overnight
Rain developing, snow on Peninsula. Cold southwest.

Monday

6 May
Few showers
10°C High
4°C Overnight
Rain clearing. Southwesterlies easing.

Tuesday

7 May
Rain
10°C High
6°C Overnight
Rain. Southwesterlies.
Issued: 1:10pm 2 May

Wednesday

8 May
Showers
11°C High
4°C Overnight
Showers. Not much wind.

Thursday

9 May
Fine
12°C High
2°C Overnight
Dry with light winds.

Friday

10 May
Fine
13°C High
4°C Overnight
Dry. Not much wind.

Saturday

11 May
Fine
14°C High
4°C Overnight
Dry with light winds.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,565,219 times
Around 15mm of rain in the past 24 hours, much better falls not far to the south with 50mm+ in parts. Should dry up and be quite warm on the weekend with temps in around 26C. the winter pattern looks to have more or less become set though as rain will return early next week.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 PM

473 posts, read 663,922 times
There was some rain here last night for the first time in weeks, only 4.4mm though. The nearby town of Miles got a direct hit from a storm, with a heavy downpour of 58mm, most of that falling in half an hour.

Some very hot temperatures for May are expected in central and north-western Australia for at least the next week. Alice Springs is forecast to exceed 30C every day for the next week when the May average is 23C.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Ending yesterday for your part of the world - Perth that is - 200 hours. Was it sunny today? I must say quite an impressive 'cloudy' feat for Perth considering the last five months have been below average. I would like to see the sum of the last five months, surely this must be a record low, or somewhere near it since the 1960's?
Ok so I've calculated the December-April total sunshine hours and it looks like the last time such a period was this cloudy (and can be confirmed) was in 1989/90.

These years have been excluded due to incomplete data:
1992/93: No December data due to Perth Regional Office station closure.
1991/92: As above although interestingly it had only 1115.7 hours from December to March I'm assuming data for March is complete but an't be sure. It's a pity there is missing data here as I suspect it was duller than this latest December-April and possibly even 1989/90. The station is said to have closed on 30 April 1992 but no sunshine data for that month has been provided that I know of.

I'm slowly working on putting all monthly sunshine data from 1898 on an Excel spreadsheet so this should make it easier to compare figures for future reference.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 05-04-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 AM

Mostly sunny and mild today in Perth, 13C-25C.

Looking like a wet, windy and cool week ahead. 50mm+ likely at this stage with max temperatures around 19-20C from Wednesday.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:50 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,043,808 times
Miserable day in Christchurch. An inch of rain (with more to come) and the temp didn't get above 9 C all day. SW wind averaged around 40 km/hr.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

Light to moderate rain atm and the barometric pressure has just dropped below 1000 hpa, although strangely the wind is calm. 6mm so far tonight and still a mild 18C.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Mostly sunny day here today, probably another 9-10 hours of sunshine. I'll have a look at cumulative sunshine totals YTD and comparisons to other years when I have the time this weekend.

Interesting how Sydney has been sunnier but wetter than average while Perth had it's hottest recorded April with below average rainfall despite being considerably cloudier than the average.
Looking at Perth's DWO page, this would be largely due to the first half of the month recording higher than usual temperatures?
Pretty unusual for Perth to record an hot, dry and "cloudy" April .
My best mate (living in Melbourne since moving there from Perth 24 years ago) is moving to London in two months time permanently as he does not want to live through any more Victorian droughts and heatwaves. He moved to Melbourne to escape the heat and sun - he's not a heat or sunlover - and has been complaining bitterly about the heat and drought "following" his backside eastwards.
Rose Bay, in the eastern suburbs of Sydney - more representive of my area -, recorded over 200mm for the month with rain falling on 16 days alone. Note that this site has not had its rainfall records "quality" checked since November last year. Once the records are updated then you can bet on it, I'll be on here to keep you updated
There is another site (Dover Heights) which measures more "prompt" rainfall but has been out of order since the 10th of last month unfortunately.
As per sunshine - most of it were recorded in the second and especially the last week.
I've been following the huge storm system coming your way with much interest - very boring here at the moment with nothing but vapid stable, as well, as icy cold westerlies blowing every morning - and I would love to be in Perth right now and local (WA and Perth) weather forums are full of folks chit-chatting about lovely changeable weather right now .
Bloody highs extending ridges over NSW (**** off highs - don't need you at all).
Catching the bus at 5am is no easy feast. I felt sorry for the bloke who was behind me as his teeth were chittering so much that my ears started to pour blood and, another bloke had his head wrapped so thickly in winter attire that only his eyes were visable.
Icy cold westerlies always brings out the worst in us Sydneysiders .

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 05-07-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather