U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM

13,585 posts, read 7,823,791 times

Advertisements

I'd say the freezing mark is a good cut-off point for me. Case in point, last Sunday, I thought it was kind of warm outside riding my bike because it was sunny, but it was only 39 degrees max that day (3.9C). I wouldn't have called it cold, just cool.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,038,073 times
I live in South Central Texas and I've been in Texas pretty much all my life. For me, if it's around or below 50F I will say it is cold. Of course it depends on the wind as well. When it's near 40 I am probably going to wear a medium to heavy coat. When it's below 40F (rarely gets much lower than freezing here) we'll turn the heater on for a little while but just to break the chill. I like it cooler/cold and will gladly be outside when it's in the 40's but only if it isn't super windy. The wind is what "hurts" (my face, hands).

Now it seems like the rest of my city thinks 50F or 60F is really cold because all the big stores turn their heat up around that point and every store you go into is stifling hot!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,487,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I'd say the freezing mark is a good cut-off point for me. Case in point, last Sunday, I thought it was kind of warm outside riding my bike because it was sunny, but it was only 39 degrees max that day (3.9C). I wouldn't have called it cold, just cool.
That's how I feel too, I'm outside all the time and never mind until it goes below freezing, which is so uncommon around here that kids get out of school. Many assume MI would be very cold, and much of it is when you go north, but in the SE, the lakes somehow keep it warmer and we don't get much snow either.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,670,234 times
Anything under 40.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM

6,889 posts, read 6,460,501 times
Any temp where I feel cold.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 AM

10,774 posts, read 20,726,920 times
Right now it is almost midnight and 62 degrees Fahrenheit and it's COLD. This is Hawaii, we don't have a heater in our house so if it is 62 outside it is 62 inside as well. Brrrr! Betcha you folks with heaters would have turned them on by now if this temperature was inside your house. Fortunately, we have an electric blanket so we will probably survive. I suppose putting on socks would help, too.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,214,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post

For those who live in pretty cold winter climates like the Northern Plains and the Upper Midwest of the U.S or Eastern Europe. where below 0 F is common and temps rarely rise above 40 F (5 C) all winter, what's your threshold to say "it's cold out"? I have no experience with anything less than 15 F so no idea how I'd feel at those temps or less.

And for those who live in extremely cold winter climates such as Fairbanks, Alaska, Yellowknife, Canada, Interior Russia, where -40 F or colder occur every winter and AVERAGE winter temps are less than 0F, what's your thresh hold to say "it's cold out"?

Please specify the temp and specify where it's in F or C. Like most Americans, I think in terms of Fahrenheit. If needed, I can translate in my head from Celsius without using an app though .
I wish I had no idea how those temps feel! For me it is cold below 50F. Don't get me wrong, we had a week or longer stretch this year in February where it was below 0, some days it was -15F with nights around -20F. That week was brutal, but we didn't even delay schools. Just love modern day technology, the buses started right up with no problem.

I hate winter clothing and layers and gloves and hats or cold ears and everything to do with winter. But we are in a warm stretch this week with temps at or near 40F. I am hopeful that the snow will be gone soon.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 AM

13,585 posts, read 7,823,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Right now it is almost midnight and 62 degrees Fahrenheit and it's COLD. This is Hawaii, we don't have a heater in our house so if it is 62 outside it is 62 inside as well. Brrrr! Betcha you folks with heaters would have turned them on by now if this temperature was inside your house. Fortunately, we have an electric blanket so we will probably survive. I suppose putting on socks would help, too.
Not necessarily, as houses can trap and retain daytime heat, sort of like cars, so it may be warmer inside than it is outside. And I would definitely not be running the heat at 62F. Seems wasteful. A sweater would work just as well if you're a bit chilly. 62 is just about the average daily low for the month of June here (so of course there are plenty of times it's even below that), and I can assure you we never heat the house during the month of June.

Last edited by snj90; 03-11-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM

797 posts, read 1,200,137 times
I considered it a major cold spell when the daytime high was below 0.

That usually meant the nightime dipped to close to -30.

Christmas Eve 1983 was really bad.
2:00 pm , wind blowing and radio said -65 windchill.

When you are working outside on the farm and things aren't going good, hard to have much "Christmas spirit"

That actually was one of the worst weeks of my life mentally.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,232,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The houses in Hawaii are probably very poorly insulated too and if the 62 is a damp cold, I can see how it would feel uncomfortable to people who do are used to nights that stay above 70.

However, if someone had to move from Hawaii to a four seasons climate, they probably get over the "60 is cold" REALLY FAST! Sure the homes are heated to 70 F on the mainland but you cannot entirely avoid going outside all together...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.