Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 AM

29,422 posts, read 19,510,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netone View Post
It's been brutal in Nebraska the past couple summers. I usually have to water my front shade garden only once or twice per summer to keep it happy. Last year I was watering once or twice per week, and my hostas still gave up the ghost by early August. I'm waiting anxiously to see if I lost any.
Last summer was brutal in the Midwest. Nebraska was broiling, not as hot as 1934 or 1936, but still a scorcher

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What's next for the rest of this summer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,253,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovarisch View Post
Good, hard stats and charts. I'd be interested to see the pattern over the past FORTY (or so) years, to understand the true impact of climate change on the northern US.
Not 40, but here's some comparisons of summer (as well as other seasons) change in the US:

Seasons Change | Open Mind

Old 07-19-2013, 10:14 AM

83,349 posts, read 74,736,613 times
One thing we'll never realize looking back at this July.... is..... how it really felt... dewpoints go unnoticed until you get down and dirty and look for them. Looking at those maps, I can assure you by looking back at dewpoint data that those previous summer heat does not compare to this summer in the East. Its MUCH WORSE this summer.

We've had more real feels in the 90s/100s just in the last 4 weeks than summers previously.

Comparing June 21 - July 15 time period last yr vs this year. Cooler this year.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
One thing we'll never realize looking back at this July.... is..... how it really felt... dewpoints go unnoticed until you get down and dirty and look for them. Looking at those maps, I can assure you by looking back at dewpoint data that those previous summer heat does not compare to this summer in the East. Its MUCH WORSE this summer.

We've had more real feels in the 90s/100s just in the last 4 weeks than summers previously.
Averaging in night temperatures help account for the effect of dew points, since both are related.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM

1,485 posts, read 1,809,723 times
I hope we have a hot, humid summer! Wisconsinites are dependent on them!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM

So, 2013 was another repeat of the constant hot summers. Summer 2013 was hotter than the previous three:

Record hottest for coast of Maine:

Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,168,080 times
Locally, July was the only really hot month. The humidity was the bigger story. Weeks of endless humidity. Thankfully that ended the last week of July. August wasn't too bad.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

83,349 posts, read 74,736,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So, 2013 was another repeat of the constant hot summers. Summer 2013 was hotter than the previous three:
Hotter than previous? Are you talking about for the lower 48? What was the actual number? (temp)

Here's a side by side comparison. Last summer might of been above normal but doesn't look hotter than previous.. Many more areas normal or below normal than previous summers. I'd like to know the actual average temp. Don't have that handy at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Locally, July was the only really hot month. The humidity was the bigger story. Weeks of endless humidity. Thankfully that ended the last week of July. August wasn't too bad.
Yup, for our area last summer was a breeze except for the end of June & beginning of July. Dewpoints were the killer, not the heat. I think there was like 4-5 weeks total of well above normal heat.
August was nothing even for me.

Here's month by month break down for Northeast, and the summer for U.S

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Hotter than previous? Are you talking about for the lower 48? What was the actual number? (temp)

Here's a side by side comparison. Last summer might of been above normal but doesn't look hotter than previous.. Many more areas normal or below normal than previous summers. I'd like to know the actual average temp. Don't have that handy at the moment.
I was posting state rankings. Just talking about Massachusetts, wasn't comparing the rest of the country. All those areas that were normal or below normal are not in Massachusetts. Via state rankings, 4th warmest on record.

Quote:
Yup, for our area last summer was a breeze except for the end of June & beginning of July. Dewpoints were the killer, not the heat. I think there was like 4-5 weeks total of well above normal heat.
August was nothing even for me.

Here's month by month break down for Northeast, and the summer for U.S
Odd. Summer 2013 felt nastier than any summer I experienced, at least recently. And the overall averages reflect that. That five weeks total was so strong as to skew the whole summer, perhaps the first half of June felt mild enough it didn't register as summer. July 2013 was the second hottest on record here. August was almost exactly average. I was away the first week of August, I don't remember much about the rest of August. Mostly pleasant enough that the weather wasn't too memorable, or I was just preoccupied.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,168,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I was posting state rankings. Just talking about Massachusetts, wasn't comparing the rest of the country. All those areas that were normal or below normal are not in Massachusetts. Via state rankings, 4th warmest on record.

Odd. Summer 2013 felt nastier than any summer I experienced, at least recently. And the overall averages reflect that. That five weeks total was so strong as to skew the whole summer, perhaps the first half of June felt mild enough it didn't register as summer. July 2013 was the second hottest on record here. August was almost exactly average. I was away the first week of August, I don't remember much about the rest of August. Mostly pleasant enough that the weather wasn't too memorable, or I was just preoccupied.
Late June through roughly the third week of July was rough. Afterwards through August was pleasant. There were some notably cool and dry days. Max temperature in August was 84 F.

The humidity was horrific in July. It was really just a rough four or so weeks of summer. The rest were okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather