Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 05:34 PM

238 posts, read 1,144,176 times

Advertisements

They say we need 4 more inches of rain before we can catch up to what we "should get" for the year. What a stupid statement. If we get 4 inches more rain then we would only get the average rainfall for the year. Why does the rain have to fall in an average amount. I am sure the trees and grass are use to some months and years with less or more than average, it is only a statistical normal, not a required amount.

Also they are mad it is so warm this month. I do not know why anyone would complain about a warm fall with temps in the 70s. We will dream about 70 degrees in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
They say we need 4 more inches of rain before we can catch up to what we "should get" for the year. What a stupid statement. If we get 4 inches more rain then we would only get the average rainfall for the year. Why does the rain have to fall in an average amount. I am sure the trees and grass are use to some months and years with less or more than average, it is only a statistical normal, not a required amount.

Also they are mad it is so warm this month. I do not know why anyone would complain about a warm fall with temps in the 70s. We will dream about 70 degrees in January.
You must have funny weather people in your area!

Up here they might say things like no rain for the forecast, unfortunately. (hinting they don't want to have to water their lawn again)
Never angry though.

No one complained on our weather reports that we had a record high of 90 F in early Oct or another record of 77 F just a week ago.
All they did was show footage and sometimes interviews of citizens just out enjoying the weather.

They most I ever hear about heat is that it's going to be a hot one today, though some people like "you" (points to one of the news anchors who like it hot) will be enjoying yourself.

Same thing with our first heavy snowfall or outburst of afternoons below freezing; they talk about how some people are having it rough, any traffic concerns but usually also mention something positive, like which ski resorts are getting ready to open, snowmobilers etc.

When we get too many rainy days, they might interview some frustrated motorists or pedestrians but might also include footage of ducks enjoying the weather.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
I agree, CC. Your weather people must be strange there. The local ones that we watch are pretty nice.

Maybe yours are just disappointed cause they don't have anything fantastic to say or predict? Maybe they know that sensationalism sells and your weather is boring for them right now?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 AM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
They get so mad because they think normal is what it's supposed to be everyday. Where as in reality normal is only the weather for an entire period averaged together. Very rarely is it "average". However, 5 degrees + or - and 5 inches + or - would be nice.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
They get so mad because they think normal is what it's supposed to be everyday. Where as in reality normal is only the weather for an entire period averaged together. Very rarely is it "average". However, 5 degrees + or - and 5 inches + or - would be nice.
I wonder if his "weather people" are not meteorologists.
All of ours are, so they'd already know this.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I wonder if his "weather people" are not meteorologists.
All of ours are, so they'd already know this.
One would think, but sometimes watching the weather I wonder if they pull these people off the streets or what. Because they never seem to know what they're talking about.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
One would think, but sometimes watching the weather I wonder if they pull these people off the streets or what. Because they never seem to know what they're talking about.
Ours know what they're talking about... if you mean about forecasted weather a week away, all they can give are educated guesses.

The only thing that has stuck me as funny about our weather forecasters is some have a tendancy to describe any weather between 10 F and 55 F as "cool" weather. Like it's already 40 F outside in Novemeber and they're calling for an approaching cold front to bring a period of "cool weather" for a few days, meaning it might dip to freezing or a few degrees below.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,243,304 times
Since we normally lack weather down here, the meteoroligist I watch (and he really is a meteorologist) always adds entertaining segments to his weather report -- by either bursting out in song, or dance --or a video demonstration of whatever he can think of. We have it weird here as unlike most markets where 2 to 3 minutes are divoted to the weather, they have to fill in 5 or 6 here.

Having said that, they make a big deal about averages here in terms of precipitation as we do have our normal wet and dry seasons -- so lacking rainfall in a wet season can sometimes mean a bad drought is right around the corner.

And you'd never imagine me saying this after all the rain we've had this summer -- it does look like we're setting up for a winter drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather