Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,790,760 times

Advertisements

When looking at a climate, are you more concerned with what the high is, or what the low is, or do you take both into consideration evenly?

I find that I tend to focus more on the highs than the lows. After all, I am more likely to be spending time outdoors during the daylight hours when temperatures are warmer, than I am during the nighttime hours, when temperatures are cooler. If, say, a month averaged 65/30 for example, I would still consider it to be late spring/early summer more than anything else, despite the subfreezing nights.

If a month in the dead of summer had freezing or close to freezing nights with a daytime high in the 70s or 80s, it would be pretty annoying for sure (and I would miss warm nights), and it would NOT get an A grade from me, and probably not even a B grade, but I would still consider it a summer month and be out enjoying the nice heat of the summer day.

Just curious what the thoughts of the rest of you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 10:13 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,862,709 times
About evenly as there is a diurnal range of up to 30 F here. I take my dog for along AM walk around 7AM (when the nightime lows occur) as well as get out during the day every day.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM

3,717 posts, read 5,248,222 times
daytime highs, im asleep or at home during night so i dont really care

Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,150,136 times
Daytime highs. Although I love warm nights, i can take cool nights because I am not outside then, and I can open the window for fresh air while I sleep.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,962,378 times
I focus more on nighttime lows in summer and more on daytime highs in winter.

For summer I'd take a 100/50F average over a 80/65F average despite the fact that the 100/50F average is hotter, because the nights are much cooler, and nights are more important than days to my sleeping and health during summer conditions.

For winter, highs are more important, because of the time spent above freezing and thus the potential for snowmelt. I would take a 29/24F average over a 39/9F average despite the fact the 29/24F average is milder, because the 39/9F average features daily thawing, whereas the 29/24F average averages more time below freezing. This mainly applies to situations close to the freezing point. With averages around 0F or so, daily lows become as important as daily highs.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,148,319 times
Daytime highs for the most part, but nighttime lows are important during the summer.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,790,760 times
Some very good points! 65F would probably be my maximum limit for an average overnight low, if not a degree of two less, so 65F or more for a low would certainly grab my attention. (But an average high of 100+ would ALSO quite certainly grab my attention in a bad way. 90 would be about my upper limit on that one).

Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM

5,707 posts, read 5,944,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I focus more on nighttime lows in summer and more on daytime highs in winter.

For summer I'd take a 100/50F average over a 80/65F average despite the fact that the 100/50F average is hotter, because the nights are much cooler, and nights are more important than days to my sleeping and health during summer conditions.

For winter, highs are more important, because of the time spent above freezing and thus the potential for snowmelt. I would take a 29/24F average over a 39/9F average despite the fact the 29/24F average is milder, because the 39/9F average features daily thawing, whereas the 29/24F average averages more time below freezing. This mainly applies to situations close to the freezing point. With averages around 0F or so, daily lows become as important as daily highs.
You're pretty much the opposite of me...

I would say that 80/65F is better because 65F is cool enough to sleep if I open the window at night, but 50F is too cold. Plus 80F is still not too hot to go outside and be active, even if it's not ideal for running a marathon, however, 100F means you basically won't want to go out during the day and I like to soak up sunshine.

39/9F means freeze/thaw cycle and ice, which I don't like. However, I like snow, so 29/24F is good, and still fine if wearing a coat, and not too cold for salt to melt snow/ice off the roads (although I rarely drive these days). 39F is still far from warm and feels like winter to me so I don't see much of a benefit over 29F. 29/24F is more or less the weather we had here for the last 3 days, which is when I decided to get back to doing the 5-10 minute bike ride to university.

I mostly pay attention to the highs, although lows matter too, like in mid-summer when I'm trying to figure out how much my room will cool down at night if I open the window, and if I have to walk to university in the early morning/late night I would want to make sure I dress according to that and not the daytime high. In the spring though, I mostly want to know if I will be able to enjoy some warm weather, even if just for a few hours.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I would say that 80/65F is better because 65F is cool enough to sleep if I open the window at night, but 50F is too cold. Plus 80F is still not too hot to go outside and be active, even if it's not ideal for running a marathon, however, 100F means you basically won't want to go out during the day and I like to soak up sunshine.
At least here (dunno about Toronto) a low of 65°F means at bedtime will be quite a bit warmer than 65°F, could 5°F, even 10°F. Depending on house layout, a room with windows open overnight can still be comfortably warm with an overnight low of 50°F (depends on personal taste of course).

Old 03-16-2013, 11:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,168,450 times
As for me, I care about highs more, though lows almost as much in summer for indoor cooling concerns without A/C (and it also is a good humidity indicator). Spring / fall I care about lows somewhat because I don't like frosts shortening the growing season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather