Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which precipitation maximum is better for you?
Summer 35 53.03%
Winter 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter much to me as long as there's a hefty amount of snow in winter, but I prefer a wetter winter/drier summer pattern, because I like plenty of precip (and snow) during winter, and at the same time I prefer a drier rainfall regime during summer. 60's/40's, a mixture of clouds and sun, and light precipitation is my ideal. The cooler temperatures also mean that less rain is needed for plants to stay green, and recent snowmelt from the previous long and snowy winter would help out as well. Light rainfall during summer helps to prevent muddy soil in summertime, which detracts from enjoying the outdoors during the warm season.

I don't care much about whether the plants are lush or the grass is green, as long as the plants don't die. I actually dislike lush vegetation, since it invites allergens, bugs, and the stinky smell of wet grass. Basically I'd like enough growth to keep them alive but not enough growth to bother me .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:19 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,829 times
I want it spread out, but I can do with summer high precip, to break the monotony of sunny days

Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,447 times
I don't really understand what is the point of dry summers and wet winters. In summer, direct sunshine makes heat feel worse (especially considering that on the many Mediterranean islands humidity is pretty high). Also, plants need more water when the temperature is higher. Winters in the Mediterranean region, although mild, aren't very sunny (when for much people sun lacks exactly in winter).

Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Where I live early summer and early winter precipitation are tied for the wettest time of year (fall and spring are the dry seasons). If I were to choose, I would go with winter though because this would mean more snowfall.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,397 times
I like low rainfall, with winter or autumn maximum and summer minimum.
I don't like at all any kind of rainy and unsettled summers.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,647 times
Summer because i like the warm and short rain in 90s summer with handsome thunderstorms mixed with sunny summer, i don't very like the cold rain in winter, autumn and spring but i like snow in winter.

The rain in summer are good because the vegetations need that.

Summer with not thunderstorms are very boring in my opinion.

I like the hot and sunny summer with thunderstorms in some days like humid subtropical and hot summer humid continental climate.

I like this type of climate : NYC, Washington DC, Tulsa.

Last edited by Hartfordd; 09-09-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Don't be shocked... If I had a choice of having more rains in summer or winter I'd have to choose summer.

Last thing I want is a hot dry summer. But I need snow too.. but second to last thing I want is 30s and rain in the winter.

I'd rather have a cold dry winter to get more rains in summer though. Needed more poll choices including temps during the season.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Climates with wetter summers than winters tend to have especially humid and cloudy summers (see East Asia).

Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
I don't really understand what is the point of dry summers and wet winters. In summer, direct sunshine makes heat feel worse (especially considering that on the many Mediterranean islands humidity is pretty high). Also, plants need more water when the temperature is higher. Winters in the Mediterranean region, although mild, aren't very sunny (when for much people sun lacks exactly in winter).
I'm out more in the summer, so I'd rather there be sun. Summer gloominess is often bland, an ugly haze. While plants need more water in the summer, recently fallen water tends to evaporate more in summer. If you look at Koppen's climate classification, dry summer climates require less annual precipitation to be not considered arid/semi-arid.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:45 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,295,479 times
I like a weak winter max in precipitation. A weak summer max is alright also, but I don't want it raining on too many days. I don't like brown grass and cracked ground, either, so I want just enough rain to keep it green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather