Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better climate in Australia?
Darwin 9 50.00%
Cairns 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie87 View Post
Cairns as I grew up there and it was plenty hot and humid. The winters weren't cold in the slightest. Occasionally there were some cool nights but that was about it. Despite receiving over 2000mm of rain it is still far sunnier than where I live now (Melbourne)

Darwin year round 30C+ would probably be too much for me.
^^

I was in Townsville from Feb-June one year.
I was only truly uncomfortable from cold due to air-conditioning,
except that was virtually always, year-round whenever I stepped inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times
Darwin for the thunderstorms as well.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 PM

284 posts, read 282,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^

I was in Townsville from Feb-June one year.
I was only truly uncomfortable from cold due to air-conditioning,
except that was virtually always, year-round whenever I stepped inside
That is one thing I notice as well whenever I return to Cairns to visit family. All the shops up there seem to have the AC set to 16C 24/7. It feels nice for a little while but can get a bit chilly if you are sitting still in there wearing only shorts and a sleeveless top.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
That is one thing I notice as well whenever I return to Cairns to visit family. All the shops up there seem to have the AC set to 16C 24/7. It feels nice for a little while but can get a bit chilly if you are sitting still in there wearing only shorts and a sleeveless top.
Glad to know it is not only me.

I remember a day in May, it was dark overcast, 25 C/77 F and slightly-dry.
It was somewhat-cool pr Spring-like compared to our most recent weather.
as such I was actually wearing light-weight but long-sleeve clothing.
I step into McDonalds in Innisfail and it is like the freezer aisle in Woolworths.
90% of the people in line are in shorts and singlets (tank tops for Americans )
After 5 minutes wait with my long sleeves, I am getting cold...

Meanwhile the other 20 or so Aussies standing in line seem oblivious to the chill
and all the staff working in McDonalds are wearing short sleeve shirts;
they also appear to be comfortable...
How is that even possible, if they are all FROM a tropical climate?!?

When I stepped outside of McDonalds after being in for 20 minutes,
it made a cloudy, dry 25 C/77 F feel hot!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 AM

777 posts, read 1,062,134 times
Darwin.

Cairns seems to barely get any thunderstorms, most precipitation there is just heavy tropical showers.

Quote:
Cairns as I grew up there and it was plenty hot and humid. The winters weren't cold in the slightest. Occasionally there were some cool nights but that was about it. Despite receiving over 2000mm of rain it is still far sunnier than where I live now (Melbourne)

Darwin year round 30C+ would probably be too much for me.
Must've been a shock to the system moving from paradise to the subarctic overcast dregs of this town. The difference between Cairns and Melbourne is that Melbourne receives much of its rainfall from boring stratus drizzly showers or light rain, while Cairns gets heavy downpours from much more interesting cumulus and cumulonimbus. And ofcourse the rain in Cairns won't feel like you are taking a cold shower in the middle of January.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I love thunderstorms, but warm, calm rains are nice and relaxing too.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:11 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,995,893 times
Cairns - winter-early spring rains are still negligible, and yearly means more tolerable.
Plus you can escape to the nearby highlands during summer if you've had a gutful of the heat.
In Darwin - you just go troppo.
Read this for ""going troppo":

http://www.abc.net.au/dimensions/dim...ts/s533413.htm

Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Glad to know it is not only me.

I remember a day in May, it was dark overcast, 25 C/77 F and slightly-dry.
It was somewhat-cool pr Spring-like compared to our most recent weather.
as such I was actually wearing light-weight but long-sleeve clothing.
I step into McDonalds in Innisfail and it is like the freezer aisle in Woolworths.
90% of the people in line are in shorts and singlets (tank tops for Americans )
After 5 minutes wait with my long sleeves, I am getting cold...

Meanwhile the other 20 or so Aussies standing in line seem oblivious to the chill
and all the staff working in McDonalds are wearing short sleeve shirts;
they also appear to be comfortable...
How is that even possible, if they are all FROM a tropical climate?!?

When I stepped outside of McDonalds after being in for 20 minutes,
it made a cloudy, dry 25 C/77 F feel hot!
Weather in the 70sF is warm/mild, and comfortable. It may feel cooler than a humid 77F, but by no means cold. The air conditioning inside made you feel cold.

I remember summers in DC when I lived there. As I went in the mall, I loved the feeling of the cold air conditioning against my skin, to escape the humid 100F outside. But after two hours in there, I was cold. As I walked out the door, it felt so nice to be warm again. The workers probably felt that walking around during the day in a sunny 77F was nice, but maybe they were refreshed upon working in the chill store for a few hours. I bet by the time they went back outside, they were glad to be out in the warmth again.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:46 PM

284 posts, read 282,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Darwin.

Cairns seems to barely get any thunderstorms, most precipitation there is just heavy tropical showers.

Must've been a shock to the system moving from paradise to the subarctic overcast dregs of this town. The difference between Cairns and Melbourne is that Melbourne receives much of its rainfall from boring stratus drizzly showers or light rain, while Cairns gets heavy downpours from much more interesting cumulus and cumulonimbus. And ofcourse the rain in Cairns won't feel like you are taking a cold shower in the middle of January.
Wasn't that much of a shock as I lived in Brisbane for a couple of years before moving to Melbourne. That let me acclimatise to slightly lower temps than Cairns before plunging into Melbourne's weather. I had to purchase some new clothes to add to the 1 jumper I owned when I arrived.

Very true about the rain temperature though. When I used to live up there if it was raining I would just walk around in the rain and not feel cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather