Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Here are the top 25 most liberal cities, according to the linked source:

Table 2: Top Twenty-Five Most Liberal Cities
Rank City State
1 Detroit Michigan
2 Gary Indiana
3 Berkeley California
4 District of Columbia
5 Oakland California
6 Inglewood California
7 Newark New Jersey
8 Cambridge Massachusetts
9 San Francisco California
10 Flint Michigan
11 Cleveland Ohio
12 Hartford Connecticut
13 Paterson New Jersey
14 Baltimore Maryland
15 New Haven Connecticut
16 Seattle Washington
17 Chicago Illinois
18 Philadelphia Pennsylvania
19 Birmingham Alabama
20 St. Louis Missouri
21 New York New York
22 Providence Rhode Island
23 Minneapolis Minnesota
24 Boston Massachusetts
25 Buffalo New York

Lots of four season places there. Though I wouldn't recommend moving to likes of Detroit or Newark.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf
To see Birmingham, AL on the list is beyond shocking. I just assumed it was conservative. The others seem plausible.

I recommend Minneapolis, MN. It has four distinct seasons and is definitely left of center/progressive. If you ever tired of that politically speaking you could move to a more moderate neighborhood on the edge of town or in the nearby suburbs. You can even find conservatives in the exurbs. In other words, you would not have to leave the region if your views change. It has all the pro sports and the cultural events, educational options, outdoor activities, restaurant/nightlife options are plentiful.

If you like historic preservation, you can hop across the river to St. Paul and also find it in Stillwater further east. The salaries rank fairly high while still being an affordable area. The economy is diverse. You have a very good chance of finding something in your area of interest. There are hundreds of lakes in the metro area and Minneapolis has several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
Quote:

Rank City State
1 Detroit Michigan
2 Gary Indiana
3 Berkeley California
4 District of Columbia
5 Oakland California
6 Inglewood California
7 Newark New Jersey
10 Flint Michigan
11 Cleveland Ohio
12 Hartford Connecticut
13 Paterson New Jersey
14 Baltimore Maryland
15 New Haven Connecticut
16 Seattle Washington
17 Chicago Illinois
19 Birmingham Alabama
20 St. Louis Missouri
21 New York New York
23 Minneapolis Minnesota
24 Boston Massachusetts
25 Buffalo New York

Lots of four season places there. Though I wouldn't recommend moving to likes of Detroit or Newark.

or Gary or Paterson or Inglewood and Oakland... these are one of the worst cities in America

Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Orlando florida could be good
Too cold in winter, I know someone who was there last week and they froze.

I am thinking southern hemisphere for me.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Too cold in winter, I know someone who was there last and week before and they froze.

I am thinking southern hemisphere for me.
You belong in Honolulu or San Diego

Or you could come to San Jose- our part of town hit 78 degrees today! I have the fan running on full blast right now.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
To see Birmingham, AL on the list is beyond shocking. I just assumed it was conservative. The others seem plausible.

I recommend Minneapolis, MN. It has four distinct seasons and is definitely left of center/progressive. If you ever tired of that politically speaking you could move to a more moderate neighborhood on the edge of town or in the nearby suburbs. You can even find conservatives in the exurbs. In other words, you would not have to leave the region if your views change. It has all the pro sports and the cultural events, educational options, outdoor activities, restaurant/nightlife options are plentiful.

If you like historic preservation, you can hop across the river to St. Paul and also find it in Stillwater further east. The salaries rank fairly high while still being an affordable area. The economy is diverse. You have a very good chance of finding something in your area of interest. There are hundreds of lakes in the metro area and Minneapolis has several.
Might be too cold considering I've never really experienced temps colder than 20F (which was fine with me). I'm not sure if -20 will be fine with me. I'd like to go somewhere where winters average in the 20-30 degree range.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,067,660 times
Quote:

Rank City State
1 Detroit Michigan
2 Gary Indiana
3 Berkeley California
4 District of Columbia
5 Oakland California
6 Inglewood California
7 Newark New Jersey
10 Flint Michigan
11 Cleveland Ohio
12 Hartford Connecticut
13 Paterson New Jersey
14 Baltimore Maryland
15 New Haven Connecticut
16 Seattle Washington
17 Chicago Illinois
19 Birmingham Alabama
20 St. Louis Missouri
21 New York New York
23 Minneapolis Minnesota
24 Boston Massachusetts
25 Buffalo New York

Most of those places are only liberal by default due to their high African-American populations.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Most of those places are only liberal by default due to their high African-American populations.
Please leave race out of this- I live in a part of town that's only 50 percent white and other 50 percent are from every corner on the planet (except Antarctica lol) and I like it-

FYI- I have friends of many nationalities and have dated guys of different races so I'd have to live in a city where mixed race couples are accepted.

NOW- BACK to climate.......

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 04-04-2013 at 01:02 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Good point. Not to mention African-Americans tend to be socially conservative. I just kind of threw that list out there. Some decent cities to consider. Even the rougher spots have their gems.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Gary, Indiana or Flint, Michigan it is then! I've heard they're grrrrreat! Sadly Camden, NJ didn't make the list.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I'm thinking Burlington or Montpelier, Vermont. (I live in Montpelier and I think it's the best place to live in Vermont, but it's pretty small and maybe not the best for a young single person.)

It gets colder in the winter than you're interested in, but I think we meet all your other criteria. Burlington only has two months a year in which the average temperature is below 20, and plenty of precipitation, including lots of snow and great access to winter outdoor activities.

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...nt/burlington/

In addition, Vermont is among the most liberal of states and we consistently rank at the top of the list for nonreligious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather