Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one
Downtown LA 7 17.95%
Santa Monica 10 25.64%
Santa Clarita 1 2.56%
Burbank 11 28.21%
Mission Viejo 3 7.69%
Santa Catalina Island 2 5.13%
Long Beach 4 10.26%
Anaheim 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,849,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Burbank for me, nicest temperatures in summer imo and one of the wetter LA stations.

It does seem odd that it's cooler than Santa Catalina Island in summer
Take a look at the location of the temp sensor hundreds of feet out over the water. I think any location like that will have much cooler data than surrounding areas on land. That is why Long Beach has warmer data as well cause it is measured on land.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Take a look at the location of the temp sensor hundreds of feet out over the water. I think any location like that will have much cooler data than surrounding areas on land. That is why Long Beach has warmer data as well cause it is measured on land.
Yeh unusual location for an observation site. The cool Californian waters would probably just accentuate the difference in temperatures between sea and land even if only a short distance apart.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,097,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Burbank hands down- only place that gets any chance of getting an AM frost in an average winter.
How is that a positive? Frost means you have fewer growing options.

I really like living in the City of Orange (just south of Anaheim) for many years and thought it was an ideal climate. Frost was extremely rare. I think I saw it happen twice in 10 years. That meant more tropical trees/plants will grow there. I thought it was weird driving into the SF Valley in winter to see so many bare (deciduous) trees when just down the hill in the Basin, it was lush and green, even in January.

Other negatives about the SFV is that it's too hot in Summer, gets too cold in Winter, and then the smog getting trapped.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,097,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Long Beach always seemed like the warmest beach city in LA. It must have something to do with it being south-facing?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,862,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How is that a positive? Frost means you have fewer growing options.

I really like living in the City of Orange (just south of Anaheim) for many years and thought it was an ideal climate. Frost was extremely rare. I think I saw it happen twice in 10 years. That meant more tropical trees/plants will grow there. I thought it was weird driving into the SF Valley in winter to see so many bare (deciduous) trees when just down the hill in the Basin, it was lush and green, even in January.

Other negatives about the SFV is that it's too hot in Summer, gets too cold in Winter, and then the smog getting trapped.
Frost is really pretty in the morning- love waking up and walking the dog on crisp morning w roofs and cars covered with frost and being able to see my breath easily- closest thing we get to snow - had lots of frosty AMs here in San Jose this Winter due to less rain and more clear nights.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:00 PM

226 posts, read 243,530 times
They all look very similar - pleasant and great for outdoor activities but with nothing of interest from a meteorological viewpoint.

I've chosen Mission Viejo as it looks the most comfortable temperatures. Burbank is probably too hot for me in summer and Santa Clara definitely is.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,592,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Frost is really pretty in the morning- love waking up and walking the dog on crisp morning w roofs and cars covered with frost and being able to see my breath easily- closest thing we get to snow - had lots of frosty AMs here in San Jose this Winter due to less rain and more clear nights.
I know what you mean.

Las Cruces, NM is like that too.
Frosty am, nice warm pm.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,347,463 times
Burbank is for me.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,862,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
haha thats so funny, my classes continued as normal during thunderstorm and often during snow storm

It's what you're used to to. While we stopped the class to watch the thunderstorm as it was a BIG DEAL for us, we've continued our classes through earthquakes which is NOT a big deal for us. A 4.0 shaker is a non-event for us, we stop and look at each other and then go back to the lecture. If woken by a small earthquake, I go back to sleep. If woken by rumble of thunder, I run outside to watch the show. An minor earthquake only lasts for 3-5 seconds and then it's over while a thunderstorm lasts for half an hour up to a few hours.

There is NO WAY I'd ever learn to sleep through a thunderstorm- too much adrenaline. I guess if I moved to a place where they were common, I'd have to learn to sleep through them I guess? Also, I couldn't get all excited about them because I'd look like an idiot among all the people who were used to them.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,790,760 times
Haha, I agree!

I remember once as a kid at my uncle's old house being woken up by a small earthquake early in the morning. I didn't even get off the couch I was sleeping on, I just watched a hanging plant sway back and forth then went back to sleep.

Another time a small quake hit while I was sitting at my desk in my bedroom. Didn't even bother to get out of my chair. Needs to be a stronger quake before I feel an urgency to get to a safe place.

Thunderstorms however I can't stop watching. I won't race out of bed for them but during the day I will watch. Hail too. I will get out of bed to watch it snow though. Not all night but for a while anyway. If I'm not too tired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather